England from 526 to 1000.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: England from 526 to 1000.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 pm

Butcher 25.9/39
Hussain 37.2/37.2
Thorpe 39.1/53.3
Stewart 33.2/36.8 (as keeper)
Atherton 38.4/35.2

Caddick 29.9/29.9
Gough 28.6/28.1
White 41.1/36.8
Cork 31.8/23.9

So improvements for some, not much change for most. Though their declines due to advancing age impact the second number.

Apart from Thorpe, who was treated with suspicion in the nineties and was a key player under Duncan, I accept there's not much there.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Atherton says that Illingworth devised the role of a soccer style supremo (something that was often talked about during his job at the BBC) and so got rid of people who used to support the side off the field. But then didn't bother doing the job himself. They'd always find him on tours by the pool. Consequently, the senior players were doing mundane tour managers jobs.

Asking Atherton his opinion on Illingworth, is like asking for Moggs opinion on Donald Tusk. Both take opportunities to hand grenade the other. I dont debate that you are wrong, but it is a tad strange.... Illingworth was credited as captain for fighting for better conditions and facilities for his players
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:06 pm

November 30-December 4 1995 at The Wanderers, Johannesburg: England drew with South Africa.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1625 ... ca-1995-96

English cricket in the nineties was like anything else; a brief spasm of rapture experienced against an eternity of wretchedness. On the Ashes tour of 1994-5, England lost the first two Tests, and the series 3-1, but miraculously won in Adelaide. They drew 2-2 at home to West Indies, coming from behind twice. They lost 1-0 in South Africa, but after holding out until the fifth Test in Cape Town. Angus Fraser mostly stayed fit and Dominic Cork had a sensational first year in international cricket.

The Test in 1995 that is most closely woven into the tapestry of England's cricketing mythology is the draw at the Wanderers, the scene of Mike Atherton's legendary eleven hour blockade erected against the hostility of the South African quartet of pace bowlers: Donald, Pollock, McMillan and Pringle. The sixth longest innings ever played by an England batter.

Ever since I started following cricket, there was always a belief that England players were never more at home than when fighting adversity, a faith that withstood abundant and frequent evidence to the contrary. Probably it has its roots in the foundation myth of modern Britain, the World War II of Churchill, Dunkirk and digging for victory. Commentators would look in vain for the same spirit in their sporting sons and daughters. And when it actually happened, it felt so right. And it felt especially right when it was Mike Atherton, cussed and pragmatic, backed up by the eccentric and improvisational Jack Russell who batted for nearly six hours for 29*.

Today, faced with 479 to win and 165 overs to get them, the England batters would choose to go for the runs and perish in the attempt. There remains something noble in the batter, ideally an opener, refusing to bow to the inevitable and blunting everything the opposition can throw at him, and not even to win the game. To deny the seeming inevitability of the defeat. It is the Test match's most esoteric joy. Athers bowed out of Tests with an average of 37.5 and 16 hundreds out of 212 attempts. But we remember him first of all as the resolute, durable and obdurate Iron Mike, the man who stood alone against South Africa for two days in Johannesburg. And why not. In sport, the myth is the best part of the story. These were the two days that Atherton got to live up to his popular image. Bruised, inexhaustible, unbeaten.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Apart from resurrecting the iconic images of Atherton -v- Donald, there are 2 things that stand out for me in that scorecard....

first that Devon Malcolm was playing, because he always feels to me like a player from an England era pre-1995

and second that Ramprakash scored 4 and 0 in a crisis... scores that summed him up as a player..... somebody should make him England batting coach so that he can pass on all that experience to the current players when faced with a similar crisis
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Looks like Malcolm played his last Test in the Oval Ashes Test of 1997. England won that by 19 runs. So like Caddick he ended on an Ashes win.

I remember him, Caddick and Gough skittling out the Aussies in the first Test that year.

DM averaged 6 and he was about as bad with the bat as it is possible to imagine. Feels like too many. He could hit the ball, but he just couldn't see it.

Looking at the worst averages (20+ Tests) Chris Martin averaged 2.36, so quite a bit worse. Monty and Tuffers are the only ENgland players to do worse.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

Hoggy only averaged 7.3 and he was allowed to nightwatch.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:20 pm

Some England bats have blocked longer. Cook twice, in UAE (which I picked as his best innings on an old thread) and Brisbane. And Randall in Sydney which I touched o in this one. Plus Hutton, Barrington and Clive Radley. But somehow these (in recent times anyway) didn't capture the imagination as much as Athers did.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:45 pm

I notice that Cook is still in the Essex squad. Has he only retired from international cricket? He would probably make a better batting coach than Ramprakash
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 pm

I think he's playing for Essex still.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ianp1970 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:06 pm

For a country that were unaccustomed to international cricket, it is easy to forget how quickly South Africa became a very good side.
None of the below played in the game versus England, yet could have made up a pretty good composite team from those that had acquired a handful of test caps within 10 years of re-integration:

Smith
Gibbs
McKenzie
Kallis
Kirsten P
Boucher
Klusener
Boje
de Villiers
Ntini
Adams
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby backfootpunch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:20 am

Durhamfootman wrote:I notice that Cook is still in the Essex squad. Has he only retired from international cricket? He would probably make a better batting coach than Ramprakash

Chris Martin couldn't do any worse than Ramps

Mind boggling how the bloke still has a job
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby sussexpob » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The Test in 1995 that is most closely woven into the tapestry of England's cricketing mythology is the draw at the Wanderers, the scene of Mike Atherton's legendary eleven hour blockade erected against the hostility of the South African quartet of pace bowlers: Donald, Pollock, McMillan and Pringle. The sixth longest innings ever played by an England batter.

Ever since I started following cricket, there was always a belief that England players were never more at home than when fighting adversity, a faith that withstood abundant and frequent evidence to the contrary. Probably it has its roots in the foundation myth of modern Britain, the World War II of Churchill, Dunkirk and digging for victory. Commentators would look in vain for the same spirit in their sporting sons and daughters. And when it actually happened, it felt so right. And it felt especially right when it was Mike Atherton, cussed and pragmatic, backed up by the eccentric and improvisational Jack Russell who batted for nearly six hours for 29*

I guess part of the myth is the "hostility of the South African quartet". I remember reading a Darren Gough tour diary, and he made it well known that the English team were quite happy with what they were facing in South Africa, due to the massive fitness issues the hosts were having.

McMillan was done and could barely bowl anymore, his figures from this series to the end of his career are horrendous (average of plus 100 a wicket). Donald was clearly injured but struggling through. He would eventually get dropped in the World Cup following after it became clear he couldnt even bowl decent pace for 10 overs a day. Pollock debuted in this test and must have been very young. Pringle was a bit of a left field pick; he was part of the team after their reinstatement, but then Javagal Srinath nearly killed him with a bouncer to his head, and he had gone off to commentate on Xhosa TV. How he found his way back into the team for this test (a one test experiment that wasnt repeated) is a mystery. Well not really I guess. Matthews was injured, Schlutz was always injured, and so was Fanie. Adrien Kapier was by miles the best South African spinner going, but he shunned the test team for the quiet rural life.

I wonder how Atherton and Jack would have fared vs an attack fully fit..... I doubt he would have batted for 11 hours.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:22 am

Wasnt Atherton also dropped all over the place? I know specifically he was dropped on 99 by Kirsten, but I think he was also put down by a few others. Russel was also dropped a couple of times.

I guess no one wants to dwell on that, as it doesnt fit the "fight them on the beaches" take.

sussexpob

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:59 pm

that they were dropped a few times doesn't in any way diminish their achievement. They can only deal with the things they can influence. That they were able to continue battling on without allowing themselves to be distracted is also merit worthy

Many of the great test innings of all time would have to be chalked off if a chanceless innings was the main meritorious requirement.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:34 pm

June 6-9 1996, at Edgbaston. England beat India by 8 Wickets.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1618 ... gland-1996

Toward the latter half of the nineties, despite the occasional defiance of gravity, the England team was mainly heading in the direction of a definitive and messy fall to earth. They flapped and swooped under the eccentric leadership of David Lloyd whose appointment (with hindsight) suggests something must have gone badly wrong at HQ. Viewed from the present day, the appointment of Bumble appears a decision bereft of sanity. While there were occasional wins, supporting England mostly started to become a bit of a chore as Lloyd gave debut caps to a plethora of rather unexceptional cricketers untroubled by any x factor at all and better left in the County Championship.

I'm thinking Mark Ealham, Simon Brown, Mike Smith, Aftab Habib and Warren Hegg among others.

The most memorable cricket for Lloyd's England that year was the drawn series in Zimbabwe, but for the wrong reasons. Lloyd winning his first game in charge in the summer of '96 has to be the pick of England's games as it was the only Test they won; resulting in a 1-0 series victory against India. Though what I mainly recall of that tour are the debuts of Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly, who immediately looked the business. India gave six new caps in the first two Tests, suggesting they had problems of their own.

Lloyd brought three new caps into the XI from his years in County Cricket: Mullally, Patel and Irani. On his recall to the side, Nasser Hussain made a determined match winning century on a wicket that gave a lot of help to Lewis and Cork (Fraser and Malcolm were dropped after the defeat in South Africa), and Srinath and Prasad. The best batting of the match came from Sachin Tendulkar in India's second innings, but lack of any support meant England needed only 121 for victory.

Hussain had been out of the side for three years and scored heavily that summer on his return. But England were then to lose 2-0 to Pakistan leading into the debacle in Zimbabwe and any feelgood factor engendered by the win in Birmingham was shortlived.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Next time- back to Birmingham and an unforgettable Ashes victory.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket