Thrilling Finishes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Thrilling Finishes

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:02 am

Phil Hughes - this was on Agar's debut?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:38 am

Indeed.

I mis-remembered, it was Haddin and Pattinson. Agar had batted 11 in the first innings, but was swiftly elevated to 8 after his 98...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm

GarlicJam wrote: I still have a sense of the disappointment from that day.Same with Edgbaston.

There was always a sense of invincibility about that Australian team. The first test, we splattered your top order in all fire and fury, but by the end of the day McGrath bowled the first 5 wickets for 15-20 runs on the board, and England were nearly all out under 100 at close. When that Edgbaston test started going south, I was convinced from about 40 runs away that Australia would win. The Aussies used to call Atherton the cockroach, but they should have called themselves it. We lost the momentum at Lords and ended up being thoroughly beaten. We nearly lost a game from an unassailable position at Edgbaston. We couldnt finish you off at Old Trafford, and that felt like we had dropped the Ashes at that point.

Maybe some surprise, but by Trent Bridge and 4 tests in, the chase England made for their win there was the biggest nail biter for me. It felt at that point that this England team could actually win, while at 2 tests in it just felt like had we lost at Edgbaston, it would have been a false dawn and we could have just gone back to normal service being resumed. I expected to win then, and at 2-1, would have been crushed not to have won the series..... so every single run like some huge battle, every single wicket was like a dagger!

But that 8th wicket partnership that scored 15-20 runs to seal that game felt like it lasted the time a glacier takes to melt. Warne was throwing down thunderbolts, Lee was bowling light lightening..... and that would have been cruel to have come so close at OT and to have been bowled out for a 130 for a guaranteed no loss series.

I guess Aussie might have also had hope as the 7th wicket went down, 3-4 in very quick succession, and Giles and Hoggard at the crease.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Might be one that Mike remembers, but in around 2000 Pakistan toured West Indies in a severely rain affected three test series. The first two tests were washed out, but the third was the ultimate thriller. Wickets went down all test, and Windies were left not much over 200 to win, which felt large in overcast conditions where the ball did everything. Lara was injured, and the Windies batting wasnt anything to sing about without him. Akram had shredded most of the order, and was steaming in with the ball swinging all over.

In the end, it was Walsh striding out with one of the worst averages in history, who needed to hold up an end while Jimmy Adams hit the winning runs. Cant honestly remember how many were exactly needed, but it was in the region of 20 odd runs I think. Walsh did the job, and Adams, who had he won the game with a boundary instead of a single, would have surely scored one of the slowest 50s in test history (he was not out for 48 or 49, but had taken something like 250 balls to get there). In fact, Walsh was left hardly facing anything, as Adams managed a textbook display of hogging the strike and taking a last ball single.

It was tremendous tension
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Although I think the best finish to a game ever has to be the Australia v South Africa semi in the 1999 WC. Those last two overs were insanity. The Klusener drop that turned into a 6. The smashed drives that brought South Africa well. The near run out of Donald to get Klusener back on strike.... and then the carnage at the end. Bill Lawry's sounds like hes about to explode through the whole of it. Crowd going apesh*t..... dont think it can get better than that.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:02 pm

The maddest finish I can remember was the 5th ODI in 1999 vs Australia and Windies, at Guyana.

Series level at 2-2, Australia need a boundary off the last ball to win the game, 3 for a tie. Waugh on strike tries to put the ball into orbit, miscues into the outfield, and as he goes to complete the 2nd run the pitch is swamped by the celebrating crowd. Waugh, focusing on trying to complete the 3rd run, turns just as the bowler is running him out at the other end, but the crowd had already removed the stumps at the keepers end in their melee.

There was zero chance of Waugh ever making the third. I think his partner was run out completing the second at the bowlers end, but in a game marred by a few pitch invasions the match referee, as the melee settled down, stated that as the crowd had impeded Waugh's final run, he would be given it.

The match was declared a draw, and it might be the only 5 match ODI series that was ever declared a draw.

sussexpob

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 pm

sussexpob wrote:Although I think the best finish to a game ever has to be the Australia v South Africa semi in the 1999 WC. Those last two overs were insanity. The Klusener drop that turned into a 6. The smashed drives that brought South Africa well. The near run out of Donald to get Klusener back on strike.... and then the carnage at the end. Bill Lawry's sounds like hes about to explode through the whole of it. Crowd going apesh*t..... dont think it can get better than that.

That was incredible.

I have just the one piece of sporting memorabilia, and it is a photo (THE photo?) of Donald walking forlornly back to his bat, as the Aussies all rush towards the centre of the pitch - half of them have both feet in the air - and Venkataraghavan reaching to take the bails off.

It is in the laundry, above the toilet in there, so I look at it at least once a day, for close on 20 years now....
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:07 pm

There are two photos that did the rounds over the years. The one you have, and the one of Gilchrist poised to end it, with the batsman short. Its a funny scene at the end, the Aussies are running around not knowing what to do.

sussexpob

Previous

Return to International Cricket