XI challenge

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: XI challenge

Postby sussexpob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:55 pm

The Professor wrote:Without a doubt my biggest issue came from the first name on my list. I knew I wanted Sachin come hell or high water. However my mettle was really tested when it came to his involvement with an Asia Xi

Hate to wreck your parade, but if you are including one off XIs like the Asian XI, then Tendulkar and Aravinda de Silva both played for a World XI team vs the MCC in the Princess Diana Memorial match at Lords in 1998. If Shane Warne also represented a one off World XI (both were officially rest of the world teams, but the MCC team was also a World XI) then you have three players who have clashes playing for World XIs.

Of course I think all non FC or sanctioned matches that are added to official stats should count, so even adding in the Asia XI element is unnecessary. But if you want to make it strict as a challenge, then your team is invalid.

Tendulkar memorably smashed a glorious hundred against an amazing bowling attack, including taking Aamer Sohail for about 30 in one over.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby The Professor » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:57 pm

sussexpob wrote:
The Professor wrote:Without a doubt my biggest issue came from the first name on my list. I knew I wanted Sachin come hell or high water. However my mettle was really tested when it came to his involvement with an Asia Xi

Hate to wreck your parade, but if you are including one off XIs like the Asian XI, then Tendulkar and Aravinda de Silva both played for a World XI team vs the MCC in the Princess Diana Memorial match at Lords in 1998. If Shane Warne also represented a one off World XI (both were officially rest of the world teams, but the MCC team was also a World XI) then you have three players who have clashes playing for World XIs.

Tendulkar memorably smashed a glorious hundred against an amazing bowling attack, including taking Aamer Sohail for about 30 in one over.

I've slightly bent rules there as there is a distinction on Cricinfo with world XI and icc Xi....do you consider them the same thing?

The ADS issue is more of a ballache.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby sussexpob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:34 pm

I'd only include matches that count on stats. The Asian XI matches were charity ones, and were just a bang around. Africa played as an XI at one point, I think they counted on ODI records.

And the Aussies played v a World XI that counted as tests. Those I'd count as playing in the same team, friendlies shouldnt.

Otherwise who is to say who's played together? I seen Wasim Akram and Gilchrist play for Bedford. I've seen Lara play for lashings ...impossible to track
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby The Professor » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:36 pm

I just went off their cricinfo page which is fairly comprehensive
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:21 pm

ODI team......slightly harder

Mark Waugh - Australia, Essex, New South Wales

Sachin Tendulkar - India, Asia XI, Mumbai, Mumbai Indians, Yorkshire

Jacques Kallis - South Africa, Africa XI, Cape Cobras, Glamorgan, ICC World XI, Kolkata Knight Riders, Middlesex, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Sydney Thunder, Trinidad & Tobago Red Steel, Warriors, Western Province

Aravinda Da Silva - Sri Lanka, Auckland, Kent, Nondescripts Cricket Club

Mushfiqur Rahim -Bangladesh, Bangladesh Under-19s, Karachi Kings, Khulna Tigers, North Zone (Bangladesh), Rajshahi Division, Rajshahi Kings, Sylhet Division, Sylhet Royals

Paul Collingwood - England, Delhi Daredevils, Durham, Impi, Perth Scorchers, Rajasthan Royals, World-XI

Richard Hadlee - New Zealand, Canterbury, Marylebone Cricket Club, New Zealand Invitation XI, Nottinghamshire, Tasmania

Wasim Akram - Pakistan, Hampshire, Lahore, Lancashire, Pakistan Automobiles Corporation, Pakistan International Airlines

Kyle McCallan – Ireland, Cliftonville

Dawlat Zadran – Afghanistan, Band-e-Amir

Joel Garner – West Indies, Barbados, Somerset, South Australia

Notable Absences

My main issue for this team was Jacques Kallis who stopped me from getting a veritable plethora of players – and for a variety of increasingly obscure teams. His time at Middlesex blocked David Warner, Desmond Haynes and Tim Murtagh whilst his IPL jaunt with Kolkota stopped Eoin Morgan and Chris Woakes. Perhaps most surprisingly is Western Province’s Alan Lamb, Keppler Wessels and Graham Gooch.

Akram proved a bit of an issue too featuring, as he did, for Hampshire and Lancashire. Hampshire stopped luminaries such as Gordon Greenidge, David Gower, George Bailey, Pietersen, Robin Smith and Mujeeb ur Rahman making the cut. Lancashire had some likely contenders too with Flintoff, Jimmy Anderson, Jos Buttler and even Phil Defreitas under consideration. Somerset was the last of the counties to screw me over. Garner was the chosen one from the perennial nearly men which meant that Andrew Caddick, Vic Marks, Ian Botham and George Dockrell were non-starters.

Other nearly men were: Ponting and Hussey (blocked by Tendulkar and Mumbai Indians), Michael Bevan and Michael Gough (Tendulkar and Yorkshire), Swann (Hadlee and Notts)
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Fri May 01, 2020 11:30 am

As thought the T20 one is a killer.

Got 4 names down and being blocked left right and centre.

RCB is one of the biggest blockers......as well as, weirdly, Barbados Tridents.
The Professor

Kent

Previous

Return to International Cricket