CMS World Cup Awards 2023

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

CMS World Cup Awards 2023

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:16 pm

Hi everyone

I'll run this again. Nominations in by the end of Friday 24th, and I'll write up over the weekend.

Awards:
3 batsmen of the tournament
3 bowlers of the tournament
All-rounder of the tournament
Wicket-keeper of the tournament
Captain of the tournament
Emerging star of the tournament
Batting performance of the tournament (no prizes for guessing this one)
Bowling performance of the tournament
Match of the tournament
Biggest (positive) surprise of the tournament (team)
Biggest (positive) surprise of the tournament (player)
Biggest letdown of the tournament (team) (again, I suspect there will be no contest here)
Biggest letdown of the tournament (player)
Champagne moment of the tournament
Overall player of the tournament

Hopefully those are mostly self-explanatory, but a few notes on a couple:

Emerging star is a bit subjective. It's intended to be: which player has made the biggest name for themselves in this tournament, relative to their standing in their team prior - likely to be a young or new player, but it could be someone who has been around for a while, never achieved much until now, but had a great tournament.

Positive surprises and letdowns are intended to be awarded to specific players and teams rather than specific incidents. Those categories are intended to be for the individual players and teams that most exceeded and most fell short of pre-tournament expectations.

Get the votes in!
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Re: CMS World Cup Awards 2023

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:25 pm

Will put mine in now so I'm not biasing anything later

Awards:
Kohli, Rohit, Ravindra (honourable mention QdK, but see below)
Shami, Zampa, Bumrah
Maxwell
QdK - having him here means I can squeeze another batter in above, and he was genuinely a strong keeper as well as scoring buckets of runs.
Hashmatulla Shahidi
Gerald Coetzee
Batting performance of the tournament
Let me think about it - Maxwell's 201*, obv
Much tougher, as there wasn't anything truly outstanding here. Going for Shami's 4-22 v England, as it was critical in defending a sub-par total. Most of the other outstanding bowling analyses were in defence of huge totals where the batsmen were just hitting out, or didn't swing the game that was only heading one way.
Match of the tournament
Australia v Afghtanistan
Afghanistan
Rachin Ravindra
Biggest letdown of the tournament (team)
ENGLAND
Jos Buttler
Maxwell's double ton
Virat Kohli
Last edited by bigfluffylemon on Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:29 pm

Cheers, just a reminder to myself.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:50 am

I am sure that Indian players will dominate here...

Batsmen: Kohli and Rohit, without a doubt. Toss up between Ravindra and de Kock - and there is a 'keeper spot
Bowlers: Shami, Bumrah - and the tight 3rd spot will go to Zampa
All-rounder: Maxwell, basically on the strength of that stupendous 200 n.o., but his bowling was an important part of Aus' run
Wicket-keeper: de Kock - on the strength of his batting.
Captain: pleased to say that this is Cummins, he has really led the team this tournament. I hope this has shut a lot of the whingers/detractors back at home
Emerging star: No surprise here - Rachin Ravindra
Batting performance: Maxie, of course
Bowling Performance: I don't rightly know. So I'll go Shami's 7for against NZ in the semi
Match of the tournament: Aus/Afg closely followed by SA/Aus semi - call me biased
Team surprise - Afghanistan. Great CWC for them, and it almost was a lot better. Aus were a pleasant surprise though.
Player surprise - Gerald Coetzee
Biggest let-down (team): not such a let-down, but of course it must be England
Biggest let-down (Player): Buttler
Champagne moment - Maxie's double ton to rescue Australia.
Player of the tournament: Kohli is a stand out here. Almost ended up with a 100+ average, at a satisfactory strike-rate, and he controlled the innings of so many games. He obviously thought he was in the same type of innings last night - such was his reluctance to leave the crease when dismissed.

I don't think I missed any spot
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:35 pm

Kohli, de Kock, Maxwell.

Shami, Bumrah, Shamsi.

Maxwell

Mohammad Rizwan.

Hashmatullah Shahidi.

Noor Ahmad

Batting performance of the tournament
Maxwell v Afghanistan

Shami, 7-57 v NZ

Match of the tournament
Afghanistan v Australia

Afghanistan

Ravindra

England

Jos Buttler

Afghanistan beating Pakistan.

Kohli.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:39 pm

Didn't read the others before posting, so I wasn't cribbing!
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:24 pm

Awards:
3 batsmen of the tournament QdK. King Kohli, Rohit
3 bowlers of the tournament Shami, Zampa, Coetzee
All-rounder of the tournament not sure any all rounder has stood out in both disciplines
Wicket-keeper of the tournament Inglis, I guess. Didn't seem to drop much... dropped nothing in the final
Captain of the tournament Has to be the guy who won it... Cummins.... helluva year after personal tragedy
Emerging star of the tournament Rachin Ravindra
Batting performance of the tournament (no prizes for guessing this one) Maxwell double ton
Bowling performance of the tournament Shami semi final 7fer
Match of the tournament can't comment, because I haven't seen any of it
Biggest (positive) surprise of the tournament (team) NL beating SA
Biggest (positive) surprise of the tournament (player) Kohli... I thought he was finished prior to this
Biggest letdown of the tournament (team) (again, I suspect there will be no contest here) Big E
Biggest letdown of the tournament (player) Big E capt
Champagne moment of the tournament Maxwell fastest ton
Overall player of the tournament If I don't pick Kohli, the BCCI might never let me watch cricket again.... they might even send the boys round to my house one night to give a right old kicking, so it doesn't feel like I have much choice. King Kohli
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:10 pm

Reminder bump.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:19 pm

Maybe someone could do a PM?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:39 pm

Kohli has to be there, Rohit gets in because he so often sets the momentum that teams cant then reel in, and I am going for Ravindra because QDK is getting in further down.

Have to go with Shami and Bumrah... could easily pick all 4 of India's bowlers who had Econ under 5, but Ill go with Hazlewood, who was also miserly in the tournament.

Maxwell has to win this. The net strike rate gain he alone brought to Australia is crazy.

QDK has to be.

Pat Cummins - Aussie tactics in the final were brilliant

Ravindra with the bat (and overall), but honourable mention to Coetzee .. the next balls out pace option South Africa pluck from nowhere

Batting performance of the tournament all time
Maxwell v Afghanistan

As a unit, the Shami/Bumrah/Siraj demolition of SL was the most impressive spell of white ball bowling at this level I can remember for a long time. But Shami's 5-18 statistically stands as the best from that assault so I guess that.

Match of the tournament
Afghanistan v Australia... the initial excitement of Afghanistan going to win, and then the Maxwell fight back from the death... tough to beat that.

Afghanistan - Let's hope we see them in more matches in the future.

Ravindra

England

Suryakumar Yadav... in a line up of supreme batting talent, he's by far the weak link

Kohli passing Tendulkar.... a record I thought impossible to be beaten in the age of T20s taking up space in the calendar.

Kohli
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:50 am

Hello everyone, and time for the awards ceremony. Not a huge number of voters this time around, but thanks to those who took the time to contribute.

Forget the ICC awards, the CMS awards are the definitive guide to ICC world cup performance, for a world that's already moved on from the tournament as the next T20 series has started

:facepalm
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:02 am

Number 1, well, it had to be, didn't it? Virat Kohli was the unanimous pick of our voters, and for good reason. 765 runs absolute destroyed the record for most runs in a single edition of the World Cup, one that had stood for 20 years and was held by a certain SR Tendulkar. 3 tons, 6 50s in 11 innings, at an astonishing average of 95 and a strike rate of over 90, it was a dream performance from one of India's very best ever.

Number 2 was Rohit Sharma. Second highest run scorer of the tournament with 597, but it wasn't just the how many but the how, as Sharma scored at a strike rate of 126, a strike rate well ahead every other opener in the tournament (except Travis Head), and was responsible for setting India up for a flyer so many times. It was telling that his wicket was a major turning point in the final.

Number 3 - with an honourable mention to Quentin de Kock (who was perhaps overlooked by some posters as he'll get in later), was New Zealand's Rachin Ravinda. A huge 578 runs in 10 innings, with 3 hundreds, an average over 60 and an SR of over 100, Ravinda's opening onslaughts during the powerplay were a huge part of some massive NZ totals that took them to the semi final.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:09 am

Number 1, the unanimous pick by our voters was Mohammad Shami. A quite astonishing performance by Shami, who missed the first four games, but still managed to be the tournament's highest wicket taker with 24 at a quite astonishingly miserly average of 10.7. His economy rate of 5.26 was pretty solid as well in a tournament where few quicks managed to go for less than 6, but it was the number of game-changing spells he bowled that really stood out, with 3 five-fers and another 4-fer. No other player managed more than one five wicket haul.

Number 2 was another Indian quick, the amazingly consistent Jasprit Bumrah, who bagged 20 scalps at 18.65, the second best average of anyone to take more than 7 wickets, but as with the last world cup, it was his extraordinary economy rate of 4.06 that really stood out - the best of any bowler in the tournament who bowled more than 10 overs. His death bowling continues to be a huge factor in India's success.

Number 3 was the first member of the winning team to get an award - Australia's Adam Zampa. Zampa was the tournament's second highest wicket taker with 23 victims and 3 4-wicket hauls, at an average of 22 and economy of 5.36. It was indicative of his immense value to the side that in his first two matches where he struggled, Australia did too, but once he found his rhythm, they were unbeatable from there on.
Last edited by bigfluffylemon on Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:16 am

All rounder of the tournament could be none other than Glenn Maxwell. Maxwell's runs were essential for Australia, as he was their third highest run-scorer overall and only just outside the tournament top 10, and to the surprise of no-one also had the highest strike rate in the tournament. His bowling, while not on the level of his batting, was still pretty handy, with 6 wickets and a very solid economy of 4.8 - he was able to get through some overs and keep the pressure on for his team with Zampa bowling at the other end more than once.

Wicket-keeper of the tournament was a little more contested, but Quentin de Kock is a worthy winner. His batting got South Africa off to amazing starts more than once, and he finished the 3rd highest runscorer in the tournament with 594 at a strike rate of 107, and the most centuries in the tournament, with 4. His keeping was less flashy, but he topped the tables for tournament dismissals too with 20, 3 ahead of his nearest rival.

Captain of the tournament - with an honourable mention to Hashmatulla Shahidi, the winner was Pat Cummins. Much maligned as a captain in his home country for reasons that escape me (especially after the Ashes earlier this year), Cummins made Australian and World Cup history by guiding an unfancied Australia team from 2 initial defeats all the way to the trophy. At no point did the team look unbeatable, or ever deliver the perfect performance, but somehow they managed to find a way to win the crucial moments - Cummins guided them over the line in tight games, and was the only captain to find a way to counter India's all-star batting line-up in the final.
Last edited by bigfluffylemon on Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:24 am

Emerging star of the tournament, as well as biggest positive surprise, was Rachin Ravindra (since they have similar themes I'll cover both here, otherwise I'll just repeat myself later). A virtual unknown coming into the tournament with just 12 ODIs to his name and some fairly unremarkable figures (an average of 23.6 and one 50 in those 12 ODIs), Ravindra exploded onto the scene to finish the fourth-highest runscorer, dominating powerful bowling attacks like Pakistan and Australia, and completely blindsiding England in the first game. One to watch to be sure.

Batting performance of the tournament, no surprises as it's probably the batting performance of all time, Glenn Maxwell's 201 not out v Afghanistan was the unanimous pick. It's hard to find enough superlatives to describe this innings - from 91-7 Australia were dead and buried, but Maxwell scored the only double century in a chase, the only double century not scored by an opener, Australia's highest ever world cup score and smashed a heap of other records along the way, while almost unable to walk with cramp for a large part of the innings. Once this world cup is otherwise long forgotten, this innings will be talked about with the same reverence as Tendulkar's 200, Richards 187 and Lara's test 400. Unsurprisingly it also took the champagne moment of the tournament, and Afghanistan v Australia was match of the tournament too as a result - not just for the innings itself, but the context in which it was played, a truly extraordinary result in a game of cricket Australia had no right to win.
Last edited by bigfluffylemon on Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Next

Return to International Cricket