Jerome Taylor

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Jerome Taylor

Postby ntini77 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:49 pm

amitb wrote:Why is he not playing in ODIs and playing in IPL?

Isnt it another case of WICB screwing up ?

Doubts about his fitness I think.

:texas!
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious *modded*."

2009 The Ashes Prediction League Guru
NZ-Pak Tests prediction guru
2010 NZ-Aust Combined Prediction league guru
2011-2012 Premiership final placings guru
2013 SA-Pak ODIs prediction guru
2013 Masters golf prediction guru
2014 WI-NZ Tests fantasy guru
ntini77

Team(s) Supported: West Indies, Barbados, Kent, Man City

Postby amitb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:52 pm

ntini77 wrote:
amitb wrote:Why is he not playing in ODIs and playing in IPL?

Isnt it another case of WICB screwing up ?

Doubts about his fitness I think.

:texas!

He was bowling at avg of 138 kph and there are fitness doubts.

:no
The chief function of the body is to carry the brain around - Edison
amitb

Team(s) Supported: India, Delhi Daredevils, SF Giants, San Jose Sharks

Postby mikesiva » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:55 am

I strongly suspect that the WICB are allowing Taylor to play in the IPL just to avoid another conflict like the one they're currently having with Gayle....

The same question could be asked about Pollard - why is Pollard allowed to play in the IPL instead of the Pakistan series? Clearly, Pollard should be a better player in the side than Kirk Edwards.

But, like Pollard, everyone knew that Taylor was down to play in the IPL, because Pune 'bought' him at the auction. So, to tell Gayle he can't go, while these two can, smacks of typical WICB hypocrisy.

It just leads me back to this excellent article by Manjrekar....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 12108.html

Simply, the WICB need to stop taking part in international series that clash with the IPL, because it's a fight they can't win.

And, believe me, if Lendl Simmons, Darren Bravo, Andre Russell and Marlon Samuels do well enough in the short form of the game, and they get offered places in the IPL next season, they will be off too. Anyone who thinks this is just about the four who are currently playing in the IPL is deluding themselves.

The WICB needs to realise that this is a fight they can't win. Like Kerry Packer before them, the IPL has much more money than the WICB. So, like Packer before them, the WICB is going to have to learn how to work with the IPL, and to stop fighting them.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby keshto » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:02 am

But wasn't Taylor considered unfit for the West Indian team? Didn't he miss out on a central contract?
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
George Bernard Shaw
keshto

Postby mikesiva » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:55 pm

keshto wrote:But wasn't Taylor considered unfit for the West Indian team? Didn't he miss out on a central contract?

He missed out on a central contract nine months ago, due to lack of fitness, but he played four matches for Jamaica in the four-day domestic regional competition this spring. Yes, he doesn't have a central contract, but neither does Gayle, and it didn't stop the WICB from wielding a big stick over Gayle.

If the WICB still considered Taylor to be unfit, they wouldn't have given him an NOC to go to the IPL....

mikesiva

Postby keshto » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Wasn't it a question of not fit enough for them? If IPL franchises were happy with Taylor's fitness and Windies weren't then why not give the NOC?
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
George Bernard Shaw
keshto

Postby mikesiva » Sun May 08, 2011 9:49 am

"I wasn't sure I was going to be selected, so I had to keep my options open. It was a case where I didn't want to be at home waiting to be selected, not get picked and let this opportunity pass me for a third year in a row." The only communication he had with the board before arriving in India, Taylor said, was a chat with selector Robert Haynes during the Four Day tournament and an exchange of e-mails about his no-objection certificate for playing in the IPL with the board CEO Ernest Hilaire. "But no one contacted me about my injury before I came here," Taylor said. It was only after he reached India, he added, that he'd been contacted by the board about his fitness. "On April 7, 2011, after I had arrived in India, I received an e-mail from Dr. Hilaire - and the Pune Warriors management and medical staff also let me know - that he needed a report on my medical status for his purposes of informing the IPL (about my fitness). " Taylor's career in international cricket has been beset by a back injury among others, limiting his availability to 29 Tests after he'd been identified as among the most promising fast-bowling prospects for West Indies when he made his debut in 2003. He reiterated he was "still aspiring to lead the West Indies attack" and that the IPL was a platform to "give a good account of myself."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/ ... 14190.html

There are just so many times you can keep blaming the WICB for poor communication, or the players for wanting to earn more money playing in the IPL....

In the end, I really don't care about who thinks what are the rights and wrongs. I want to watch the best players turning out for the West Indies, and the best way to ensure that happens is to make sure that happens is for the WICB to avoid taking part in international series that clash with the IPL. If that means a de facto window for the IPL, then so be it!

mikesiva

Postby ChrisQ » Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 pm

mikesiva wrote:"I wasn't sure I was going to be selected, so I had to keep my options open. It was a case where I didn't want to be at home waiting to be selected, not get picked and let this opportunity pass me for a third year in a row." The only communication he had with the board before arriving in India, Taylor said, was a chat with selector Robert Haynes during the Four Day tournament and an exchange of e-mails about his no-objection certificate for playing in the IPL with the board CEO Ernest Hilaire. "But no one contacted me about my injury before I came here," Taylor said. It was only after he reached India, he added, that he'd been contacted by the board about his fitness. "On April 7, 2011, after I had arrived in India, I received an e-mail from Dr. Hilaire - and the Pune Warriors management and medical staff also let me know - that he needed a report on my medical status for his purposes of informing the IPL (about my fitness). " Taylor's career in international cricket has been beset by a back injury among others, limiting his availability to 29 Tests after he'd been identified as among the most promising fast-bowling prospects for West Indies when he made his debut in 2003. He reiterated he was "still aspiring to lead the West Indies attack" and that the IPL was a platform to "give a good account of myself."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/ ... 14190.html

There are just so many times you can keep blaming the WICB for poor communication, or the players for wanting to earn more money playing in the IPL....

In the end, I really don't care about who thinks what are the rights and wrongs. I want to watch the best players turning out for the West Indies, and the best way to ensure that happens is to make sure that happens is for the WICB to avoid taking part in international series that clash with the IPL. If that means a de facto window for the IPL, then so be it!

Sorry. Can't share that sentiment if the best players are little better than rouges and con-men. I can watch the far more entertaining "Pirates of the Caribbean" for a lot less money and not waste as many hours out of my life than watching these modern day marauders.
ChrisQ

Postby mikesiva » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:07 am

Taylor says he's physically fit, but not mentally ready to play for the Windies....

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/sports/cri ... -rejoin-wi

'"In terms of physical condition and strength, I don’t think I’m far off but right now, mentally, my mind is not there (because) of stuff that has been going on. I’m not going to be able to play (for the West Indies) until 2012 (but) if called upon, physically, I think I’m alright," he said.'

It's a damning indictment on the way the WICB is managing cricket in the region if they're at loggerheads with two players (Taylor and Gayle) who would automatically be entered in the XI of a team sheet....

mikesiva

Postby chandersgirl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:15 pm

mikesiva wrote:Taylor says he's physically fit, but not mentally ready to play for the Windies....

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/sports/cri ... -rejoin-wi

'"In terms of physical condition and strength, I don’t think I’m far off but right now, mentally, my mind is not there (because) of stuff that has been going on. I’m not going to be able to play (for the West Indies) until 2012 (but) if called upon, physically, I think I’m alright," he said.'

It's a damning indictment on the way the WICB is managing cricket in the region if they're at loggerheads with two players (Taylor and Gayle) who would automatically be entered in the XI of a team sheet....

I wonder what he would be doing in the mean time to improve his game.
chandersgirl

Postby mikesiva » Mon May 28, 2012 9:02 am

"I have no idea what Mr Hilaire is actually saying," he said. "Basically I do not know where he is getting his information from. As far as commitment is concerned towards cricket I don't think my efforts can ever be questioned. If you ask anybody in Jamaica, where I have played my cricket, they will tell you I am somebody who has always shown commitment towards cricket and my development." He also said he has completely recovered from the back injury, having travelled to the USA where a combination of strength training, acupuncture and deep tissue massage were part of his recovery process. "Everything is feeling all right. I am just going through the paces, taking my time not to rush back to anything but also making sure no stone is left uncovered," he said. According to Taylor, the WICB has not been in touch for the past 18 months except for speaking recently with the Jamaica Cricket Association president: "Nobody from the WICB has been in contact with me recently. The only person I have been in touch with was the JCA president."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-w ... 66424.html

The WICB treated Taylor as badly as they treated Nash. No communication whatsoever, and then Hilaire comes on Sky chatting a lot of unsubstantiated rubbish about Taylor....

mikesiva

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon May 28, 2012 11:09 am

To be honest both sides are making completely separate points, Taylor is attempting to muddy the waters while the WICB are simply pointing out that if the lad has played no competitive cricket in over a year then how the hell are they to know if he is actually match fit.

Now I'd agree that the WICb are being unreasonable to suggest someone has to play a full first class season to show they are fit but it is definitely a trifle harsh to say they have been unfair to him.

Yes he's a good bowler, but he actually needs to be bowling to show he can bowl at the top level.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby OffStumpYorker » Mon May 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Now I'd agree that the WICb are being unreasonable to suggest someone has to play a full first class season to show they are fit but it is definitely a trifle harsh to say they have been unfair to him.

Is it? A board requesting that a bowler that has had a couple of back problems in a short space of time, completes a full season without a re-occurance of the problem is not unheard of.

I beleive the ECB pretty much did the same with Onions after his Back problems and Operation, and requested that he complate a season in the LVCC before they would consider him again for England duty, which he did last year.

Also consider this was the Second time that Taylor had gone down with a back problem in 12 months, the first time I beleive they didnt have such stipulations in place and he suffered the same injury again while on tour, so its perfectly reasonable IMHO that they ensure hes fully fit.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby mikesiva » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:41 am

"Injury-plagued fast bowler Jerome Taylor is among 12 West Indies players who have been named in a Jamaica 44-member training squad to prepare for upcoming regional Four-day and Super50 tournaments. Taylor, who last represented the West Indies in June 2010 against South Africa in Trinidad and Tobago, makes a return to the national set-up after a two-year absence primarily due to a recurring back injury. He last played for Jamaica against Trinidad in March 2011 at Sabina Park in a Four-day encounter. The 29-year-old was also a part of Jamaica's squad for the 2011 Super50 tournament in Guyana, but did not play a game due to his injury. His last internationally recognised match was in August last year where he turned out for the Ruhuna Royals in the Bangladesh Premier League T20."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... orts1.html

mikesiva

Postby andy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:30 pm

i thought he had retired!!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket