Spot Fixing?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Spot Fixing?

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:21 pm

Thoughts along those lines went through my head when I saw a shot of his delivery stride, as well. It didn't look AS bad when I saw footage later - he slid for about half this distance after planting his foot. Still was a no-ball by quite some measure though.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:52 pm

backfootpunch wrote:shannon gabriel bowled a no ball that was half a metre over the line

had that been wahab riaz questions would be asked

According to the cricinfo commentary, it was a decent sized no ball, but then the foot skidding after planting then made it look a lot bigger.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:53 pm

As GJ just said.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Toby F » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:06 pm

His foot did slide a large amount in a rather unnatural way. I wondered more if this contributed to his ankle soreness.
Toby F

Postby dan08 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:07 am

Amir selected alongside Hafeez in national training camp: http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/co ... 53179.html
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:07 am

It's not spot fixing, but it is related. Aus domestic cricketer Angela Reakes (Sydney Sixers in the WBBL and Canberra Meteors in the womens one day comp) has been given a suspended 2 year ban for placing 5 bets, totalling $9, on the man-of-the-match in the CWC Final between Aus and NZ (men's cricket).

No chance of any corruption coming from this sort of wager, but thin edge of the wedge sort of thing, eh John?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby dan08 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:29 am

Very harsh on her. Probably ruined her career.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:37 pm

It is harsh. And harmless activity. But the line has to be drawn somewhere, and it has been drawn before the first step, which she would have (or should have) been aware of.

I reckon her career may still be there for the development though. Only a suspended ssentence, and everyone should know how harmelss her actions were.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Would it have been reported differently if it had been male Pakistani cricketers?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:52 pm

GarlicJam wrote:It is harsh. And harmless activity. But the line has to be drawn somewhere

And sure the line should be drawn at the position where its provable that the person betting has some inside knowledge, or has a part to play in a result?

A female cricketer laying a nothing bet on a game she is nowhere near, played by men.... this is jsut silly
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:00 pm

The line was drawn at 'no contracted player is allowed to gamble on ANY cricket match'.

A zero tolerance policy here causes no harm to anyone, disadvantages no-one, and makes everything crystal clear, with no doubt whatsoever.

If we heard that this was CA's policy before knowing about this incident, most of us would have thought, fair enough.

It was the known policy before she placed the bets. The fact that she had no sway on the outcome or any prior knowledge cannot be considered. I agree it is harsh, but necessarily so.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby sussexpob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:17 pm

I like to gamble, its a perfectly enjoyable practice if taking away from the negatives of over excess. I personally think there should be a reason to disbar people from engaging in it, and if there is no chance of a player being involved in fixing a game, I cant see the harm of it.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Maybe it makes it harder to see the bad stuff, if this peripheral activity is going on? Maybe it also creates a grey area. It's not like they aren't able to gamble. Just they can only do it on everything in the universe other than cricket.

Still, it's not actually illegal, and they haven't entered into criminal or gang activity, or influenced a game, so it's not an Butt/etc scenario.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:39 pm

I think generally I have always had a problem with sporting rules being inconsistent with other legal opportunities available to a sportsperson, so long as the sport is unaffected. I appreciate that causes a "grey area", but should grey areas deny people the exercise of normal rights? In order to do that, I think you have to have a more "black and white" style case.

I dont think its the players en mass that facilitate or create this problem, its more gangsters and professional crooks.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:45 pm

I reckon most sports people would forgo the right to bet on their own sport for the end that it remains credible in the eyes of the public. But if it is a rights issue (many people compromise some rights in employment. I can't criticise my workplace in the press) maybe the bets could be screened and made public in advance by the home board.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket