Humble Pie

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Humble Pie

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:38 pm

ddb wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:I reckon Mike Atherton would be eating humble pie right about now. He was quite opinionated about Alistair Cook becoming ODI captain and how he felt that Cook wasn't the right man. Well Cook has taken basically the same team who lost to Ireland and Bangladesh at the recent World Cup and lead them to series wins over the two teams that played off in the WC final.

Different pitches though.

History tends to remember results rather than pitch conditions, though, doesn't it. And Cook still one, twice, in spite of Atherton's comments upon his appointment, didn't he.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:39 pm

from_the_stands wrote:I reckon Mike Atherton would be eating humble pie right about now. He was quite opinionated about Alistair Cook becoming ODI captain and how he felt that Cook wasn't the right man. Well Cook has taken basically the same team who lost to Ireland and Bangladesh at the recent World Cup and lead them to series wins over the two teams that played off in the WC final.

Athers would never eat humble pie. He's too smug.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby shankycricket » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Oh Ravi
You have given me a lot of humble pie to eat mate.Thank you.Go on mate. :clap
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby shankycricket » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Well tbh Athers was right about Cook's captaincy.Yes he has not batted like a plodder.He has been brilliant with the bat.But despite the results which FTS likes to point out,I dont think Cook is a good captain.In fact some of his tactics have been atrocious.I am happy to give him this winter.Regardless of whether we win or lose he should show the right aptitude for captaincy.I expect us lose in India against a full strength Indian ODI side but what I want to see from him is to use his own brain rather than rigidly sticking to pre determined plans.Regardless of whether we win or lose if he doesnt show the right aptitude for captaincy in the 10 ODIs against India and Pakistan then it might be worth having a look at Morgan or Broad(Broady hasnt impressed much either)next summer although Cook should stay as an opener.

Cook has another 10 ODIs to show his captaincy skills.I want to see improvement.I am not saying he should become a Mike Brearley because he cant but he needs to show that he thinks about the game on the field.Thats what I am asking for.I wouldnt read too much into the results.Even if we lose I am willing to give him more chances provided he shows the right aptitude for captaincy.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby Chris de Burgh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:12 pm

shankybiggestengfan wrote:Oh Ravi

One swallow does not a spring make. He put in a good performance today and well done to him. However until he can pull out such form in the upcoming matches against SA (who possess a greater bowling threat then India) and Australia I personally maintain he should be nowhere near the test team and just a fringe player in the ODI's
Climb the pipe to the train or you'll go insane, wut wut.
Chris de Burgh

Team(s) Supported: Northants, New Zealand, Holland
Northampton Town, Arsenal, Gamba Osaka, Malta, Sliema Wanderers, Bray Wanderers, Japan

Postby shankycricket » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Koyomi wrote:
shankybiggestengfan wrote:Oh Ravi

One swallow does not a spring make. He put in a good performance today and well done to him. However until he can pull out such form in the upcoming matches against SA (who possess a greater bowling threat then India) and Australia I personally maintain he should be nowhere near the test team and just a fringe player in the ODI's

To be honest this was a remarkably cool and calm knock from Ravi.So I dont think it is just a flash in the pan.When did I say anything about the Test side?And in ODIs if you want him to be just a fringe player then who would you play?We need a batting allrounder dont we.And despite all the talent Stokes is NOWHERE NEAR ready for bay international cricket.He has looked thoroughly out of depth so far though I am sure he will become a fine player for us in the future.He is too talented not to.Who else would you pick?Taylor?I rate him extremely highly but he doesnt bowl and he is not a No.6 batsman,it is strictly a top 4 player and I would be tempted to pick him for the winter instead of Trott.But he is not a No.6.
Who else?Bell?Dont make me laugh.

shankycricket

Postby Chris de Burgh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:35 pm

In a fully fit side you'd have Pietersen or Morgan in for Bopara, I agree on stokes though. Also with Pietersen you have a batsmen capable of bowling a few overs of spin. There's no denying Bopara has the talent, but he's got the the mental strength of a glass house. Hopefully he can continue with the good form though, the England selectors (rightly or Wrongly) have stuck with him to this point so it would be cruel to drop him if he can get a few good knocks.
Chris de Burgh

Northampton Town, Arsenal, Gamba Osaka, Malta, Sliema Wanderers, Bray Wanderers, Japan

Postby shankycricket » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Koyomi wrote:In a fully fit side you'd have Pietersen or Morgan in for Bopara, I agree on stokes though. Also with Pietersen you have a batsmen capable of bowling a few overs of spin. There's no denying Bopara has the talent, but he's got the the mental strength of a glass house. Hopefully he can continue with the good form though, the England selectors (rightly or Wrongly) have stuck with him to this point so it would be cruel to drop him if he can get a few good knocks.

KP and Mogs for Stokes and Bell.

There is still space for Bops

Or would yu have Bell?

shankycricket

Postby Chris de Burgh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:51 pm

I'd have Bell.
Chris de Burgh

Postby meninblue » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:57 am

I might have to collect humble pie served by Ravi in case he plays another such knock :scared
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby greyblazer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Peter Moores :salute
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby meninblue » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:29 am

I need to collect my humble pie for saying that the advantage of a series in Dubai and Sharjah is that there won't be any rain. It's raining now and the interesting match on day 5 has been delayed. :hide
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:57 am

Loads of Humble Pie served to me by Ian Bell. Might need about 5 gym sessions to digest those. :scared
meninblue

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:08 am

Craig Keiswetters wicketkeeping seems to have improved in recent months, took a sharp stumping today in the Aussie ODI.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 am

He's taken many incredible catches this year.

Can he bat at six?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket