The Clarke Captaincy

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The Clarke Captaincy

Postby meninblue » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 pm

The understanding between coach and captain has to be good. So i feel Clarke should be given the coach that he wants.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:09 pm

sportbloggeradi wrote:The understanding between coach and captain has to be good. So i feel Clarke should be given the coach that he wants.

He might want Warney! ;)
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby meninblue » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:30 pm

from_the_stands wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:The understanding between coach and captain has to be good. So i feel Clarke should be given the coach that he wants.

He might want Warney! ;)

Guaranteed spot for Beer instead of Lyon then.

That apart Warne could be a good coach as he has huge experience in all three formats.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby OffStumpYorker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:59 pm

I have to disagree with you on this point, its not decision for the Captain/players to make, yes canvas the captian in regards to his feelings in regards to the people in the selection process but thats as far as it should go. Its like allowing the Prefect to have a say in who the Headmaster is.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby meninblue » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:28 am

OffStumpYorker wrote:

I have to disagree with you on this point, its not decision for the Captain/players to make, yes canvas the captian in regards to his feelings in regards to the people in the selection process but thats as far as it should go. Its like allowing the Prefect to have a say in who the Headmaster is.

OSY, just for an example, if the Aussies select a coach who Clarke does not wants, there will be very less co-ordination and team work between them because both know they were not wanted by each other. issues will surface at team meetings, squad selections etc..

Now consider that both Clake and coach know that they have each others support it will altogether be a better team work than mentioned above and i think such a combo would work.

Also, there are so many options of experienced cricketers/coaches that Clarke can select an good one who he prefers to work with to build the Test squad.
meninblue

Postby OffStumpYorker » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:00 am

Adi, the you are missing my point completely.

If CA pick a coach that Clarke doesnt want then tough, the players dont have a say in who the captain is.

As I've said, get his views on each candidate and consider them but other than he should have no part in the process.

If you owned a company, would you let your workers pick their own manager? I wouldnt, simply because they will generally go for the easy choice, rather than the best choice for the job.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby meninblue » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:11 am

Yes, who he supports would not be the best choice, but it would still be a average choice as there are so many good coaches.

Having agreed to that, there is a huge responsibility on Clarke to build up a team which would go through two more crucial retirements. So by all means he will be opting for a coach who is averagely skilled at least so that the players skills are polished and the team wins and his performance of captains remain good overall.

IMO the team would not succeed if the repo between the best coach and Clarke is not good. However, the Team would succeed if the repo between an average coach and Clarke is best.

Waqar-Afridi is an example how team meetings, squad selections can go for a toss.
meninblue

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:40 pm

sportbloggeradi wrote:Yes, who he supports would not be the best choice, but it would still be a average choice as there are so many good coaches.

Having agreed to that, there is a huge responsibility on Clarke to build up a team which would go through two more crucial retirements. So by all means he will be opting for a coach who is averagely skilled at least so that the players skills are polished and the team wins and his performance of captains remain good overall.

IMO the team would not succeed if the repo between the best coach and Clarke is not good. However, the Team would succeed if the repo between an average coach and Clarke is best.

Waqar-Afridi is an example how team meetings, squad selections can go for a toss.

I agree, sport. I see no mileage in not giving the skipper the coach he believes he can work best with.

But also, no matter how good a coach is, he can't turn a silk purse into a sow's ear. It's up to the players in the long run.

Ian Chappell has had some fairly trenchant things to say about coaches (no surprises there). He said that the team is the skipper's. And the coach is there to manage the off-field things (put out the witches hats' that sort of stuff).
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved only for Gods and angels to be lookers on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Team(s) Supported: Australian cricket team.

Postby meninblue » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:39 pm

PardonWonTheCup wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:Yes, who he supports would not be the best choice, but it would still be a average choice as there are so many good coaches.

I agree, sport. I see no mileage in not giving the skipper the coach he believes he can work best with.

But also, no matter how good a coach is, he can't turn a silk purse into a sow's ear. It's up to the players in the long run.

Ian Chappell has had some fairly trenchant things to say about coaches (no surprises there). He said that the team is the skipper's. And the coach is there to manage the off-field things (put out the witches hats' that sort of stuff).

Pardon, Clarke is also one of the successful batsman in test cricket and probably their most experienced batsman in an years time. So his place in squad and captain is virtually guaranteed for a longer tenure. So it would be beneficial for such a good repo to be established right from the day one of the coach's job until the end of coach's tenure.
meninblue

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:02 pm

The Clarke captaincy seems to be coming of age in the current series against India. Having won the first Test, Pup has personally made sure that India won't be winning the second. His declaration clearly shows that he wants to win, even at the cost of personal milestones. My opinion of him has admittedly changed since he did take over the arm-band. Hopefully his good fortune continues for many years.

:Aus:
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby OffStumpYorker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Clarkes doing an ok job, and seems to be settling in well. Hes going to face some sterner tests over the next couple of years, espceially when Ponting and Hussey finally retire as they seem to be the only ones with clarke that are keeping the batting afloat at the moment.
OffStumpYorker

Postby andy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:17 pm

clarke off to a pretty good start as skipper, however tougher tests to come in places like the sub contienet etc...
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby dan08 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:00 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:clarke off to a pretty good start as skipper, however tougher tests to come in places like the sub contienet etc...

Australia won the Test series in Sri Lanka. However, a Test series in India will be a much tougher challenge.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby ddb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:19 pm

India is definitely a huge task for anyone at home. Only two series have been won from the oppo since 2000, no series won since 2004.

But IMO once we lose the big 3, plus already lost 2 World class spinners, Ganguly, and Zak on his last legs, we'll become easier to play and you'd be pretty disappointed if you didn't at least draw series in India...
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby IndusCreed » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Not sure why Clarke was ever named pup... I wonder if the label on him is as a label tightly stitched on underwear :D
- Chulbul Pandey
IndusCreed

Team(s) Supported: India

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket