The Clarke Captaincy

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The Clarke Captaincy

Postby shankycricket » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:17 am

PardonWonTheCup wrote:
shankybiggestengfan wrote:Another thing

People say Ponting's average of 41 in the last 4 years(his leanest patch) is equivalent to Strauss' career average who is rightfully regarded as a very good batsman.So why is Ponting's record poor in the last 4 years?

I've posted another, another thing below. That 41 is including the furthest away year which was his best year out of the four. Since then, it's been pretty much down hill.

But still I feel its too early to write off a GREAT player.If he was just a good batsman then you could have been tempted to drop him.But Punter in form is an extraordinary cricketer and even when out of form he isnt terrible.
I am sure he is saving some big runs for India :hide
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Dimi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:11 am

They couldn't bring themselves to drop North until there was nothing more he could do to convince them to drop him, so Punter will be safe for a while yet.
Dimi

Postby Stroller95 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:22 am

Ah, but it is a bran nue dae for Australian selection. The question is, does Clarke have the stomach to ditch his mentor? We have already seen Katich binned to foster new prospects.
Stroller95

Team(s) Supported: Australia, NSW Blues, Penrith Panthers NRL.

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 am

Stroller95 wrote:Marsh would have been selected ahead of both North and Hughes if he had not had those 2 hamstring tears. He was headed straight to the test team before the injury, I reckon.

Yep, he was. He was included in one of the squads then he got two tears in a row. Almost as soon as the first one mended he slid in UAE was it and got another. He's been like Watson in some ways, just can't stay on his pins.
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved only for Gods and angels to be lookers on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Team(s) Supported: Australian cricket team.

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:44 am

Stroller95 wrote: We have already seen Katich binned to foster new prospects.

Which is exactly why I think Hughes will be given a long run in the side, and the memory of Cook smashing you guys about will probably play in Hughes favour.

I certainly get the feeling he is Australias long term plan.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:02 am

I hope you mean 'part of'. Gives me the creeps to think he IS the long term plan. Ahhhhhhhh, yuck.
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved only for Gods and angels to be lookers on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Team(s) Supported: Australian cricket team.

Postby Stroller95 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:16 am

PardonWonTheCup wrote:I hope you mean 'part of'. Gives me the creeps to think he IS the long term plan. Ahhhhhhhh, yuck.

You remind me of what I thought about Shaun Tait - "Oh, please, let him fail, because I can't watch that for the next 10 years."
Stroller95

Postby greyblazer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:35 pm

SRT is a very versatile batsman who can change his game and still succeed. I just don't think Punter is as great as SRT to change his game and succeed. Having said that both are great players.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby greyblazer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:56 pm

In the 90's, SRT was a compulsive puller. I can certainly remember a few instances like on a pitch with variable bounce in a one-day match in WI in 97, SRT pulling the likes of Bish, Amby and Walsh all over the park but now he doesn't play that pull too many times. He also doesn't play that famous back foot drive that much. Once in Sydney in 03/04 SRT got a double hundred without playing a single cover-drive as he was getting out to that shot in that series. Can Punter do it? if he does it then he is as great as SRT.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby meninblue » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:37 pm

shankybiggestengfan wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:
shankybiggestengfan wrote:People who are writing off Ponting,just look at Tendulkar guys.

Sachin was to be dropped as some posters on CMS posted here years before. I was shocked when i read those posts. So posts suggesting Ponting, Warne, Lara to be dropped are now/were bearable putting that into context.

The opponent cricketers are professionals as well and they will sometimes make your decisions look silly. As far as blunders or captaincy mistakes i have seen Clarke do only two of them.

Thats exactly what I am saying Adi.

:thumb
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Stroller95 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:21 pm

One thing I have always liked about Australian cricket is that they don't get all shirty and hands-on-hips if someone makes a mistake in the field. Pakistan and India are very hard on each other, for example, shouting and gesticulating at fielding errors.

Clarke is a bit more overtly critical than Ponting regarding errors. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Maybe the guys need a bit more criticism, as the fielding has fallen off lately.
Stroller95

Postby meninblue » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:58 am

Congrats to Australia and Clarke on his first overseas win as captain in adverse conditions. :clap

Lyon started the trouble for Lanka by playing a major role in first win, Ryan added to the pressure later and some quality innings by Hussey, Clarke and Phil. :clap
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:34 am

Michael Clarke wants a say on who the next Oz coach should be. This is a good move by him. He's making the right noises so far as captain. It will be interesting to see what noises he makes after losing a series? :hmmm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/533404.html

He seems to favour Rixon for the South After Africa series. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Rixon got the job full time.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby GGAS » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 am

Can't wait for the Australia SA series. Such a shame its only 2 tests, should be at least 3 or 4. Stupid Champions league :fit
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby OffStumpYorker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:59 am

I agree with allowing the captain to put forward his thoughts in regards to the candidates, after all the two have to work together, its like I would expect the coach to have his thoughts considerd in regards to a future captain. However, they need to select the best candidate for the job regardless of whether hes liked by the captain or not.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket