Is West Indies cricket dead ?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Is West Indies cricket dead ?

Postby sehwagfan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:48 pm

mikesiva wrote:Given the ICC's inability to make proper decisions, I think they are ideally suited to run West Indies cricket....
:lmao
Seriously though, disputes like this have been the norm in WIndies cricket, ever since Viv Richards retired. Gayle is not the first, and he won't be the last.

No, WI cricket is not dead. Believe it or not, in the Test arena, they've improved, when you compare this team to the team led by Lara. Under Lara, the West Indies remained rooted in eighth place in the rankings. Now, they're seventh, ahead of NZ and only just below Pakistan.

Personally, I think Gayle should be in the team. Other WI fans, like ChrisQ and silvamaine, think he shouldn't be in the team. But I don't think Gayle's presence would suddenly convert the Windies into a winning outfit. He's on the wrong side of 30, and it's time for youngsters to come to the fore.

At present, I don't see the WI reaching the pinnacle of Test cricket with this current batch, but they will win the occasional match now and then. Yes, Test crowds have declined, but the 20/20 was practically sold out, and the ODI crowds have varied between poor and reasonable. You could say that the crowds are comparable to the ones you see in South Africa and NZ for similar versions of the game, so not much difference there, IMHO....

The West Indies will continue to stumble along, in spite of infighting and poor leadership, much like Pakistan.

Thanks for a very nice and honest opinion.
sehwagfan

Postby ddb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:57 pm

ddb wrote:Can we get back on topic? :)

As I said. :halo:
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Not at all, if the Windies can get a fully fit first team out on the field combined with board pulling its head out its, well you know what I mean, they are actually a pretty decent side.

Combined with this they have a decent selection of youngsters shown by the combined colleges, a side with a decent number of youngsters in it, getting to the four day final, as well as the likes of Barath and roach I'm the test side.

They have a couple of problems, such as finding a keeper, but the team is being crippled by inept management from the WICB not for lack if talent.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby silvamaine » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm

by mikesiva on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Given the ICC's inability to make proper decisions, I think they are ideally suited to run West Indies cricket....

Seriously though, disputes like this have been the norm in WIndies cricket, ever since Viv Richards retired. Gayle is not the first, and he won't be the last.

No, WI cricket is not dead. Believe it or not, in the Test arena, they've improved, when you compare this team to the team led by Lara. Under Lara, the West Indies remained rooted in eighth place in the rankings. Now, they're seventh, ahead of NZ and only just below Pakistan.

Personally, I think Gayle should be in the team. Other WI fans, like ChrisQ and silvamaine, think he shouldn't be in the team. But I don't think Gayle's presence would suddenly convert the Windies into a winning outfit. He's on the wrong side of 30, and it's time for youngsters to come to the fore.

At present, I don't see the WI reaching the pinnacle of Test cricket with this current batch, but they will win the occasional match now and then. Yes, Test crowds have declined, but the 20/20 was practically sold out, and the ODI crowds have varied between poor and reasonable. You could say that the crowds are comparable to the ones you see in South Africa and NZ for similar versions of the game, so not much difference there, IMHO....

The West Indies will continue to stumble along, in spite of infighting and poor leadership, much like Pakistan.
=============================================================================================
Well said mike, you pretty-much covered the whole situation.

As much as i don't like Gayle's showpony attitude, i can fully understand why he feels resentment towards the WICB. Until those bunch of unreasonable dictators pack their bags and go, cricket in the West Indies will continue to be a mess. But forever the delusional optimist, i shall continue to support the team itself. It's clear that the team needs Gayle, but i can't help feeling that his new found independence of refusing a contract, has given him more leverage to play power-games with the Board and as petty as the WICB is, they are playing tit-for-tat. And in regards to Gayle, his Cricket career is now a auction and will respond to any offers from the highest bidder. I could be wrong about him, but i just get the feeling that he doesn't care anymore and is only doing all of this to stick-it to the Board.
silvamaine

Postby laughingdevil » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:32 pm

ddb wrote:
because they were not acting in the best inerest of Indian players by refusing URDS and decided to run it themselves?

It is the Indian players that are forcing this, no? Sachin and Dhoni hate it supposedly.

Err exactly my point! If Sachin hates the BCCI position then the BCCI is not acting in the best interests of it's best player, so therefore by the same simple logic as the OP the BCCI should be striped of it's responsibility and the ICC take over.
laughingdevil

Team(s) Supported: England Cricket Team
Manchester United

Postby sehwagfan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:45 pm

laughingdevil wrote:
ddb wrote:
because they were not acting in the best inerest of Indian players by refusing URDS and decided to run it themselves?

It is the Indian players that are forcing this, no? Sachin and Dhoni hate it supposedly.

Err exactly my point! If Sachin hates the BCCI position then the BCCI is not acting in the best interests of it's best player, so therefore by the same simple logic as the OP the BCCI should be striped of it's responsibility and the ICC take over.

And my response would be same. How can England be allowed to field foreign players by ICC ?
sehwagfan

Postby ddb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:07 pm

laughingdevil wrote:
ddb wrote:

No you've read that completely wrong. Sachin hates UDRS.

sehwagfan wrote:And my response would be same. How can England be allowed to field foreign players by ICC ?

Stop this please, you've been noted about this before.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby greyblazer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:45 pm

A full strength WI side can challenge most of the teams but at present Hunte has hunted WI cricket. A few of their young batsmen though seem to have never heard the word spin.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby laughingdevil » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:55 pm

It appears I did DDB, my appologies.

My point though is that what the OP is talking about is a very slippery slope, and that if the board disagree with the players the players who are good enough should be protected by having the board removed. I'm pretty sure you could make a case for most boards having done somthing like this in the last decade.
Last edited by laughingdevil on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laughingdevil

Team(s) Supported: England Cricket Team
Manchester United

Postby ddb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:57 pm

laughingdevil wrote:It appears I did DDB, by appologies.

My point though is that what the OP is talking about is a very slippery slope, and that if the board disagree with the players the players who are good enough should be protected by having the board removed. I'm pretty sure you could make a case for most boards having done somthing like this in the last decade.

:thumb
Intent

ddb

Postby greyblazer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:59 pm

2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Sorry Greyblazer didn't read all of your blog , but congrats for a massive amount of effort you put into it. You must be quite the fan.

Look I loved the West Indies in the 80's, and was fortunate enough to meet them and even bowled to Joel Garner in the nets at the TCA ground. Viv handed me the ball and said here man have a bowl. They were a lovely bunch of characters and I would have loved to have a dooby with them, but they only smoked out in the middle.

Yes it's sad to see the poor state of management, but not every test nation can be #1 at the same time. I don't think they're as terrible as everyone says. They just drew with Pakistan and lets not forget large parts of the West Indies are third world.

When I was there some 5 years ago you were lucky just to hear the test matches on the radio. Ok so I was in a small prison for drug smuggling high in the mountains of Guyana with no electricity, and rats were main course for Sunday brunch, but come on.

As for Chris Gayle, didn't he just turn his back on the Windies to pick up a big paycheck in the IPL. Correct me if I'm wrong on that as I've been in NZ and Tassie for a month. Also lacking when it comes to much on the telly. Oh there's Shortland Street and Home and Away, but all the characters have changed since the 90's.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby greyblazer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Thank you! Even I haven't been following much cricket in the last few months but from whatever I know the Windies left senior players like Chanders and Gayle for the one-day series against Pakistan which allowed Gayle to play in the IPL. I don't hate Gayle but for me he is a show pony and he isn't Lara either.

Even after 1994/95 when Aus defeated WI they have produced promising players but a combination of poor administration and maybe lack of discipline shown by the players has led to the decline of WI cricket. Once Lara said that if the Australian system could turn even average players into great players WI system was good at turning promising players into mediocre players.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby mikesiva » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:24 pm

An excellent article, as usual, GB....
:clap
Here's my issue, silva....

We can argue until we're blue in the face about WICB standing by principle, blah, blah, blah, but unless we enjoy watching these farcical batting displays, we have to get Gayle back into this side, if we want to see even the shade of a competitive match....

I can't accept that the WICB are having trouble meeting with Gayle. During the first ODI, the cameraman had not trouble finding him several times. But what the WICB want is for Gayle to come crawling back on hands and knees, begging for clemency, in front of a tribunal of frowning, disapproving, lecturing members of the WICB executive and selectors, and that ain't gonna happen. What it needs is for a WICB head to go up to Gayle and say, let bygones be bygones, and let's move on. But no, they won't do that....

So, who suffers? Not Gayle, because he'll make money from the IPL. It's the WICB and West Indies cricket who continue to suffer from Gayle's prolonged absence.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby chandersgirl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:50 pm

mikesiva wrote:An excellent article, as usual, GB....
:clap
Here's my issue, silva....

We can argue until we're blue in the face about WICB standing by principle, blah, blah, blah, but unless we enjoy watching these farcical batting displays, we have to get Gayle back into this side, if we want to see even the shade of a competitive match....

I can't accept that the WICB are having trouble meeting with Gayle. During the first ODI, the cameraman had not trouble finding him several times. But what the WICB want is for Gayle to come crawling back on hands and knees, begging for clemency, in front of a tribunal of frowning, disapproving, lecturing members of the WICB executive and selectors, and that ain't gonna happen. What it needs is for a WICB head to go up to Gayle and say, let bygones be bygones, and let's move on. But no, they won't do that....

So, who suffers? Not Gayle, because he'll make money from the IPL. It's the WICB and West Indies cricket who continue to suffer from Gayle's prolonged absence.

I do think the fans and the cricketing world are suffering most.
chandersgirl

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket