The associate's thread

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Full Member Status for Ireland?

Postby ChrisQ » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Jonah58 wrote:
ChrisQ wrote:- No current test nation was ever granted test status without some form of domestic multi-day cricket first. All of them from what I can gather had 3-day domestic cricket before becoming test nations except South Africa which had a 2-day competition (which might account for the reason why they were so bad after getting test status). Bangladesh had 3-day (but not first-class) divisional group matches for their national cricket league in 1999 and probably had such matches going back to at least 1997 (in which year they had a 3-day final which was not first-class).

First-class cricket only began in Bangladesh after it was awarded Test status, with the National Cricket League making its debut in 2000-01 (although the competition was actually set up the previous season on a non-first class basis). http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/the-icc/ic ... BANGLADESH

this was at the point that India and Pakistan were pushing for Bangladesh to become a full member, funds from the ICC were used to create the divisional structure.

Zimbabwe is harder to qualify, the Logan cup yes has been around since Lord Hawke took a team there in 1899, but prior to gaining full member status much of the development of Zim cricketers was done by participation in the Currie Cup in SA.

Even now Ozias Bvute, the managing director of Zimbabwe Cricket says that & I quote
the priorities for Zimbabwe cricket going forward, which are to build a sustainable domestic structure that will enable the team to hold its own in future ICC events

I see most of what I wrote was lost on you.

I never said Bangladesh had a first-class structure before test status (they did have first class cricket from the 1950s-1971 but as part of Pakistan). I did say that Bangladesh had a multi-day competition before test status. Whatever the ICC did in 1999 almost certainly didn't apply to this 1997 match: http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1 ... Y1997.html

And I've talked with some Bangladeshis who told me that in the lead up to that period for the reintroduction of multi-day cricket (1997 and afterwards) Bangladesh itself instituted a league involving 2-day cricket with each innings being 90 overs (maximum presumably after which there would be a mandatory declaration as happens in some leagues around the world).

Note that this 3-day final competition in 1997 and the 2-day cricket from the late 1990s was before Bangladesh played in the 1999 World Cup (the usual time people claim was the pivotal moment for Bangladesh becoming a full member).

With Zimbabwe it's beside the point whether their best XI played in the Currie Cup or not. If South Africa had vanished one day and the Currie Cup with it, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe would still have had the Logan Cup. The undeniable fact is that Rhodesia (and later Zimbabwe) had the Logan Cup from the 1900s and I'm fairly certain that up until the late 1960s at least it was played as multi-day cricket. The prominence of the Currie Cup is because:

- South Africa was a former test nation and so its competitions were more newsworthy. Newsworthy items are more likely to last the test of time and end up on the internet or as part of summaries in articles that deal with these things historically. For instance one can find who won the Currie Cup in 1972 (two years after South Africa were kicked out by the ICC - see: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Uu ... -cup&hl=en and this in a Scottish newspaper) but trying to find who won the Logan Cup in any year before the 1980s makes Mission: Impossible look easy.

- during the era of apartheid and test exclusion South Africa sought to stage cricket matches with teams from outside South Africa. Hence there was no way the old UCB was ever going to kick Rhodesia out of the competition at any point whilst at the same time trying to get rebel teams to tour.

- Rhodesia in general gets less coverage than South Africa (try looking for books on South African cricket versus Rhodesian/Zimbabwean cricket, better yet try finding any book on cricket in South-West Africa/Namibia - most references will only talk about a South-West African team playing in South Africa's competition and not talk about domestic cricket within SW Africa itself).

- In Rhodesia, cricket was (like in South Africa at the time) mainly played by whites. Unlike South Africa though, whites in Rhodesia never amounted to more than 5-6% of the population (in South Africa the white population which was the only section eligible to play Currie Cup cricket during apartheid fluctuated between 12-20% in the 1900s usually with a declining proportion as time went by). Thus the number and proportion of (Rhodesian) cricketers in Rhodesia's Logan Cup would have paled in comparison to the number (or proportion) of (South African) cricketers in the Currie Cup.

So whether Rhodesia played in Currie Cup or in the County Championship or Ranji Trophy or whether Bangladesh played 2-day cricket or 3-day cricket, what I said earlier still seems to hold and that is that no nation has ever been granted test status first without multi-day domestic cricket and in the vast majority (if not all cases since Bangladesh seems to have been reintroducing multi-day cricket before the 1999 ICC assistance) they did so on their own initiative.

As it stands now the only non-Test nation I know of that has domestic multi-day cricket is Argentina (which has a traditional North v. South match which lasts 3 days). Ireland doesn't need to wait on the ICC. I'm fairly certain they could institute it tomorrow if they cut some of the 50-over matches and introduced multi-day cricket. After that it would near impossible for Ireland not to qualify for test status since the first-class cricket requirement could then be met by having the ICC adjudge the matches and the competitions first-class (but the ICC can't adjudge such a competition as first-class if it doesn't exist). I don't expect this to happen though because most associates and affiliates seem to be either focused on trying to institute similar domestic structures as happens in the richest full member nations with all the bells and whistles and hence won't attempt to do so without ICC grants or (in the case of Kenya and the Netherlands) they hit a lot of snags ranging from domestic political violence (which scuppered Kenya's attempt to do just what I outlined above) to passive or active opposition from the clubs (which seems to have happened in the Netherlands - so their attempt at 2-day cricket has gotten nowhere years after it was proposed).
ChrisQ

Re: Full Member Status for Ireland?

Postby meninblue » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Sadly we don't have Bangladeshi and Irish club cricketers on this forum who can throw better light on the domestic cricketing structure in their respective structures. :(
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

And the next full member is......

Postby ChrisQ » Thu May 05, 2011 2:58 am

...likely to be Afghanistan if they can build on this:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/afghanistan ... 13105.html

Peshawar to host tournament for Afghanistan cricketers
ESPNcricinfo staff
April 29, 2011

Rashid Latif, the Afghanistan coach, hopes a tournament arranged in Pakistan's border city of Peshawar will unearth new talent for his side. The tournament will feature six teams named after provinces in Afghanistan, with each team featuring three players from the national side.

Afghanistan have become the fastest-rising Associate team after refugees escaping years of war fled to Pakistan and discovered a love for cricket. "We are playing a tournament of three-day matches in Peshawar followed by a Twenty20 and then a one-day tournament, and I hope these events will help us find more players," Latif told AFP.

Latif, the former Pakistan wicketkeeper, took over as Afghanistan coach last year and helped them win the four-day ICC Intercontinental Cup, before guiding them to a shock win over Pakistan in the Asian Games Twenty20 semi-finals.

In recent years Afghanistan has leapt up to Division One in the World Cricket League, which gave them one-day status, and they have since qualified for the World Twenty20 held in the West Indies last year. Latif hopes that the new tournament will help secure the progress the country has made.

"We have also included the Afghanistan Under-19 team so that they can prepare for the qualifying round of the junior World Cup," Latif said.

Afghanistan's Under-19 team won an Asian qualifying event in the UAE earlier this year and stands a good chance of qualifying for the Under-19 World Cup in Australia next year.

Ahmed Taqseem, who is on the Afghanistan Cricket Board's technical committee, felt the facilities available in Pakistan will help the Afghanistan side develop.

"The facilities provided in Peshawar are world-class so playing here will give our players a chance to improve and this is a great help from Pakistan," he said. "We realise that in order to improve at an international level we need to strengthen our domestic setup and we are endeavouring to do that."

Cricketing relations between Afghanistan and Pakistan are strong, with a six-member delegation from the Afghanistan Cricket Board meeting PCB chairman Ijaz Butt on Friday. Butt pledged that Pakistan would provide any support needed to develop Afghanistan cricket and appointed Amir Nawab as a coordinator for Afghanistan.

Might we see Afghanistan playing test cricket before 2018?

They already seem to have a international venue ready for testing (they have invited Pakistan A to play - see: http://www.espncricinfo.com/afghanistan ... 13222.html ) in Nangarhar province (probably at Jalalabad). If they get their act together I could see associate status by 2012-2013 and full member status by 2018. They would need to bring that Peshawar tournament with it's 3-day, 1-day and T20 matches into Afghanistan though.
ChrisQ

Re: And the next full member is......

Postby mikesiva » Thu May 05, 2011 12:19 pm

I really hope Afghanistan continues to improve, and joins the Test ranks....

World cricket can only benefit from getting more recruits. The idea of locking Associate teams out of the World Cup can only serve to drive cricket away from these developing countries.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby from_the_stands » Thu May 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Maybe some new teams is what Test cricket needs. What it doesn't need, is more domestic T20 comps springing up, as they seem to be, or long bi-lateral ODI series. The age of 5 match Test series could also be a memory before too long.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Albondiga » Thu May 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Regretably if players are reluctant to go to Pakistan to play I cannot see them ging to Afghanistan.
Albondiga

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Thu May 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Considering the Aussies attitude to playing Bangladesh, Afghanistan wouldn't be on for a (ONE) test match 'series' agreed to by CA till about 2020 even if they were given test status tomorrow and the Queen issued an open invitation to let them play on the back lawn at Buckingham Palace.
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved only for Gods and angels to be lookers on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Team(s) Supported: Australian cricket team.

Postby ChrisQ » Fri May 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Albondiga wrote:Regretably if players are reluctant to go to Pakistan to play I cannot see them ging to Afghanistan.

True, but that only refers to the situation of today. By 2018-2020 who knows what Pakistan and Afghanistan would be like? Think about it, remember a place once called "Kampuchea" (still called that by the way in some languages) but now called "Cambodia"? In the 1970s it was almost literally the place where Hell took up residence on the surface of the Earth with the Devil outsourcing his work to one Pol Pot. Only journalists would have wanted to visit there at the time. Today though (and since the late 1990s really) it is a completely different story. Algeria too is another example. In the early 1990s it was going through a horrible civil war. Since then it has been peaceful.
ChrisQ

Postby amitb » Fri May 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Not until they perform in 50 over World Cup
The chief function of the body is to carry the brain around - Edison
amitb

Team(s) Supported: India, Delhi Daredevils, SF Giants, San Jose Sharks

Postby yorker_129-7 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 pm

I can't see anyone overtaking Ireland in the "best of the rest" stakes for some time to come. I wouldn't put money down against them being a full member by the end of the decade.
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm

More chance of the Netherlands being made full members before Afghanistan, especially when they're doing good in the Pro40 competition.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Chris de Burgh » Fri May 06, 2011 7:19 pm

It'll be interesting to see who is the next nation to become a full member. Ireland have performed well and argued their case and Holland have been performing well in the cb40. Afghanistan could well do it in the next few years if they continue their progress. It's just a shame to see potential nations like Canada and Kenya falling behind due to various reasons.
Climb the pipe to the train or you'll go insane, wut wut.
Chris de Burgh

Team(s) Supported: Northants, New Zealand, Holland
Northampton Town, Arsenal, Gamba Osaka, Malta, Sliema Wanderers, Bray Wanderers, Japan

Postby ddb » Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Did no one watch the programme on Afghanistan cricket a few months back? The progress they made in a relatively short time was remarkable.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby ChrisQ » Sat May 07, 2011 9:07 am

amitb wrote:Not until they perform in 50 over World Cup

yorker_129-7 wrote:I can't see anyone overtaking Ireland in the "best of the rest" stakes for some time to come. I wouldn't put money down against them being a full member by the end of the decade.

Desktop Hoggy wrote:More chance of the Netherlands being made full members before Afghanistan, especially when they're doing good in the Pro40 competition.

I refer you all to the ICC's own full membership requirements (all of 2 pages long): http://l.yimg.com/t/icccricket/pdfs/full.pdf

In particular, significant sections of it read:
Special events

To be able to stage Test, ODI and first class cricket at various venues in accordance with requirements of ICC
regulations.

Once the above has been established, the following issues should be considered in forming criteria against
which any application can be assessed:

1 Playing

1.1 High performance

• record of national team in:
• three/four day matches against first class teams including matches against national
teams of existing Full Members
• One Day International tournaments [Note that it does NOT specifically mention the 50 over world cup here but mentions the U-19 World Cup later; this could well be interpreted to mean various multilateral series such as the Asia Cup and tri-series such as the Commonwealth Bank Series, NatWest Series, VB Series and various one-off triangular series such as the West Indies and Associates (Bermuda and Canada) tri-series, the Sharjah Cup and the Kenya Triangular Tournament (Australia, Pakistan and Kenya) ]
• other representative cricket e.g. against MCC
• three ICC Trophy events
• performance of individuals in overseas first class cricket
• performance of Second XI/'A' Team
• performance of U19 team in Under 19 World Cup and regional tournaments

1.2 Cricket Structure

• a country must play regular first class cricket (domestic 3/4 day competition) before playing
Test cricket
• must demonstrate improvement over time
• improvement should be monitored by the Cricket Committee - Playing (a flexible approach
to be taken and not one based on 'win rate').
• club cricket - adult, youth cricket, schools cricket,women's cricket
• number of teams and players - sufficiently large pool of players to draw from capable of
performing at the highest level of the game.
• National Coaching Director - this appointment is not specifically necessary

2 Development

• development plan - refer to ICC Development Committee

3 Grounds and Facilities

• number of grounds available to host Test and One Day Internationals must conform to ICC
criteria, quality of turf pitches, standard of outfields, standard of covers, practice facilities,
human resources (number or curators, stewards, and other essential ground staff), player
changing facilities/toilets, media facilities, public facilities - refer Cricket Committee

4 Financial

• must have the ability to fund domestic programmes without Test status [this though is a chicken-and-egg scenario since all test nations fund their domestic programmes through regular one-day international cricket which comes with being a full member and playing test cricket....]
• it should not be necessary to totally fund tour guarantees, as they are generally funded by
television revenue, which is not always possible, when a country does not have Test status
• business plan (not current financial status) to be examined in early stages

5 Standing of cricket in society

• government control and/or regulations
• cricket culture

6 Media - level of coverage of domestic game. Facilities for media at major venues.

7 Other relevant information

• timing and duration of home cricket season
• suitability of hotel accommodation
• suitability of internal travel

Afghanistan does NOT have to even appear in the World Cup to become a full member. Such an appearance might help, but if Afghanistan were to arrange regular tri-series tournaments between itself and 2 full members (say Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Pakistan one year and then Afghanistan, Pakistan and South Africa in the next year and then Afghanistan, India and England the year after and so on) and it did well in those tri-series it could become a full member....provided of course that it plays regular first-class cricket domestically (which would be done once Afghanistan sets up a 3-day or 4-day tournament and then asks the ICC to come in and adjudge the tournament first-class).

Afghanistan already seems to be heading in this direction: a 3-day tournament in Peshawar and a series of matches against Pakistan "A". All they need do is take that tournament in Peshawar and move it into Afghanistan (say Jalalabad, Kabul and Kandahar), organize more matches versus full member A teams and eventually full member teams (including against their own Afghanistan A team) and they would well on their way.
ChrisQ

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu May 12, 2011 1:33 am

ChrisQ wrote:
Afghanistan already seems to be heading in this direction: a 3-day tournament in Peshawar and a series of matches against Pakistan "A". All they need do is take that tournament in Peshawar and move it into Afghanistan (say Jalalabad, Kabul and Kandahar)[/b], organize more matches versus full member A teams and eventually full member teams (including against their own Afghanistan A team) and they would well on their way.

Easier said than done for obvious reasons, I can't see full member teams queuing to play in Afghanistan at this moment in time.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket