Random Cricket Thread (International Cricket)

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Random Cricket Thread (International Cricket)

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 am

sussexpob wrote:I think that boils down to two things....

1. England is the last bastion of 5 day tests being the most popular form of the game, so its arguable Sky would see much of a return on the investment.
2. The domestic T20 game's coming transformation would end up being the more popular format if it gets going, meaning IPL wouldnt be a primary competition to buy in.

Maybe even 3. Sky can subcontract the coverage cheaper from Star than buying the content outright. If ITV managed to get it in the past, the rights cant cost much to show in the UK.

yeah it is cheaper to subcontract plus Sky win both ways anyway, either Star shows it on Star plus or Sky gets it.
BT could have gotten it though and they would have easily won it if Sky were not interested.
BT really needed the rights more than sky.

think the 2nd point isn't really true, considering uk only really shows the big bash and IPL the other leagues don't have the same tv coverage.
the 3rd point is probably the correct one, since they don't need to bid for it since they can get it cheaper or buy it from someone else later on.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby sussexpob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:33 am

bhaveshgor wrote:also kills the argument that some clueless people had about the ipl that BCCI or cricket in india doesn't make money but only the franchises.
where do you think the money for the tv rights, franchise fees etc goes to.
the money the franchises make is probably peanuts and probably used to cover running cost etc.

I am sure both make good money, Bhave. You always got the feeling in the first few IPLs, the Franchise owners were quite high profile and doing it for the profile, now the format has taken hold I am doubtful they would do it if they werent making the dough.

Not sure who would claim the BCCI dont make a killing of it, thats a bizarre argument to take. Of course the BCCI are making huge sums.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:51 am

generally it is the people that are saying the new city based competition in the uk isn't franchise but owned by ecb and the money goes back to cricket and not private investors.
generally the argument against franchise is been that the money won't go back to cricket and they mostly been using ipl as an example for it.
think only 1 or 2 franchises actually make money sussex.
guessing they be making money now. but not really a lot, nothing compared to what bcci is getting.
owning an ipl team is like owning a football team, not really much money can be made out of it for the owners.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:52 am

sussexpob wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:also kills the argument that some clueless people had about the ipl that BCCI or cricket in india doesn't make money but only the franchises.
where do you think the money for the tv rights, franchise fees etc goes to.
the money the franchises make is probably peanuts and probably used to cover running cost etc.

I am sure both make good money, Bhave. You always got the feeling in the first few IPLs, the Franchise owners were quite high profile and doing it for the profile, now the format has taken hold I am doubtful they would do it if they werent making the dough.

Not sure who would claim the BCCI dont make a killing of it, thats a bizarre argument to take. Of course the BCCI are making huge sums.

nah most don't make money.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 180516.cms
only KKR makes money.
although they should all make a profit now with the new tv deal and their share of the pie from it.
but still BCCI expected to make most of the money from the ipl.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 am

Tax scandal?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:03 am

Corruption?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:15 am

I fail to believe that so much ticket sales, TV money and wages float about, and the top team makes a profit of 140k GBP a year. Either money disappears off the books, or someone is lining their pockets.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:18 am

That was what Death of a Gentleman seemed to be implying, but was unable to say (in my opinion).
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:That was what Death of a Gentleman seemed to be implying, but was unable to say (in my opinion).

yeah that was a good documentary.
yeah the money part of the franchises doesn't really make sense.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:23 am

bhaveshgor wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:That was what Death of a Gentleman seemed to be implying, but was unable to say (in my opinion).

Not seen it. Any links?

sussexpob

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:27 am

sussexpob wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:

Not seen it. Any links?

should be on netflix.
was a documentary on the big 3 coup.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am

although cost per game.
IPL is quite close to the english premier league and way higher than NBA and baseball.
NFL is 22.47 per game, premier league 13 per game and ipl is 8.47 per game.
and BCCI will earn 33% more from a ipl game then it would for an india home game although those figures are out of date because india home rights are old and are likely to double or triple next year so the difference isn't going to be that big next year.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:21 pm

In other news, I see Kieran Pollard is in hot water for purposefully bowling a no ball on the last delivery of a match last night, seemingly because the opposition batsman was one run away from completing a hundred. Bit of a d*ck move.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:37 pm

sussexpob wrote:In other news, I see Kieran Pollard is in hot water for purposefully bowling a no ball on the last delivery of a match last night, seemingly because the opposition batsman was one run away from completing a hundred. Bit of a d*ck move.

A real poor d.ck move.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:24 pm

No surprise though.

Makes Ben Stokes look an angel!
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext