Random Cricket Thread (International Cricket)

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Eden Gardens Capacity

Postby Peter Lanky » Sat May 28, 2011 7:15 am

There seems to be a great variance in reporting what the capacity of Eden Gardens is. Some articles (Wikipedia being one, which is usually accurate) say 90,000 and others say 63,000 - 65,000. The IPL website actually has 63,000 and 90,000 on the same page. So does anyone know for definite what the capacity is, and why such a variance?
Peter Lanky

Re: Eden Gardens Capacity

Postby amitb » Sat May 28, 2011 7:50 am

Peter Lanky wrote:There seems to be a great variance in reporting what the capacity of Eden Gardens is. Some articles (Wikipedia being one, which is usually accurate) say 90,000 and others say 63,000 - 65,000. The IPL website actually has 63,000 and 90,000 on the same page. So does anyone know for definite what the capacity is, and why such a variance?

The new capacity is around 65K from 90K+ after renovations. They have removed the cement strips with plastic seats which has decreased the capacity now.
The chief function of the body is to carry the brain around - Edison
amitb

Team(s) Supported: India, Delhi Daredevils, SF Giants, San Jose Sharks

Postby Peter Lanky » Sat May 28, 2011 11:21 am

amitb wrote:
Peter Lanky wrote:There seems to be a great variance in reporting what the capacity of Eden Gardens is. Some articles (Wikipedia being one, which is usually accurate) say 90,000 and others say 63,000 - 65,000. The IPL website actually has 63,000 and 90,000 on the same page. So does anyone know for definite what the capacity is, and why such a variance?

The new capacity is around 65K from 90K+ after renovations. They have removed the cement strips with plastic seats which has decreased the capacity now.

Thanks for that. Eden Gardens is one of those places that I've always wanted to visit for one of those once in a lifetime experiences. However it may never happen because last time I saw highlights of a test match being played, the stands were almost empty, and I can't ever see me visiting just for a 20:20 game. However, having seen the ground on TV. I think that I'd like to visit Dharmasala.
Peter Lanky

Postby amitb » Sat May 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Peter Lanky wrote:
amitb wrote:

Thanks for that. Eden Gardens is one of those places that I've always wanted to visit for one of those once in a lifetime experiences. However it may never happen because last time I saw highlights of a test match being played, the stands were almost empty, and I can't ever see me visiting just for a 20:20 game. However, having seen the ground on TV. I think that I'd like to visit Dharmasala.

I dont know which Test you were watching but last Test between India and SA had packed house every day of test.
amitb

Postby Peter Lanky » Sat May 28, 2011 7:17 pm

amitb wrote:
Peter Lanky wrote:
amitb wrote:

I dont know which Test you were watching but last Test between India and SA had packed house every day of test.
It might have been Australia. Three or four years back maybe. There was a lot of talk about the lack of crowds at tests at the time. Have attendances improved? Prices changed? Some other reason? I've no idea which ground it was though, but it was one of the large ones.
Peter Lanky

Postby amitb » Sat May 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Peter Lanky wrote:
amitb wrote:
Peter Lanky wrote:
amitb wrote:

It might have been Australia. Three or four years back maybe. There was a lot of talk about the lack of crowds at tests at the time. Have attendances improved? Prices changed? Some other reason? I've no idea which ground it was though, but it was one of the large ones.

Eden hosted India-SA test after long time , you might be confusing Nagpur with Eden :hmmm
amitb

Re: Random Cricket Thread

Postby ddb » Sat May 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Nagpur is always empty, it's like our Sophia Gardens.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby meninblue » Sat May 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Nagpur :lmaoagain There were more people watching our club matches at Azad Maidan :lmao
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Boom Boom Afridi » Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Afridi hits big sixes. :pak
Boom Boom Afridi

Postby yorker_129-7 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:38 pm

In case anyone has seen it, I apologise for wasting your time.

But if you haven't, I thoroughly recommend this.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Caus ... h_Captains
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Sponsorship plugging in everyday conversation

Postby Peter Lanky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:23 am

When listening to interviews from cricketers and backroom staff, they always seem to mention the sponsors name when mentioning a competition, ground or anything else subjected to this modern tacky culture. Are they forced to say this in interviews, or have they become conditioned to it and can't help themselves? It even happens on the non-commercial BBC. If they are not forced to mention it, the plug adds nothing to the conversation so why do it? As I write this, I can't actually think of the sponsors of any competition, probably because they are seriously boring.

Do normal cricket fans such as people on this forum do this? I know it can be difficult when mentioning a stadium that only has the name of a sponsor (are there any in cricket yet?), but I find it difficult to imagine why people say it when not required.
Peter Lanky

Postby Peter Lanky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:34 am

amitb wrote:Eden hosted India-SA test after long time , you might be confusing Nagpur with Eden :hmmm

Just getting back to this topic. To be honest, I've no idea which stadium it was, being probably 3 years or so ago (I do lose trick of time) I do remember that the stands were quite large and extremely empty, and I'm certain it was against the Aussies. The report I watched was specifically about the issue of low attendances.

Why does Nagpur suffer from small crowds compared with other venues?
Peter Lanky

Re: Sponsorship plugging in everyday conversation

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Peter Lanky wrote:When listening to interviews from cricketers and backroom staff, they always seem to mention the sponsors name when mentioning a competition, ground or anything else subjected to this modern tacky culture. Are they forced to say this in interviews

I imagine so, yes!

This is modern life though, isn't it? there was a case recently where some worthy project had received funding from some european organisation, but failed to say so on their bill boards (and so on). Even though they had started the project, they were forced to repay the euro funding, because they hadn't highlighted the source of the funding, as they were required to do.

I imagine that this is true of most things in life, these days.... including cricket.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby ddb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:06 pm

Peter Lanky wrote:
amitb wrote:Eden hosted India-SA test after long time , you might be confusing Nagpur with Eden :hmmm

Just getting back to this topic. To be honest, I've no idea which stadium it was, being probably 3 years or so ago (I do lose trick of time) I do remember that the stands were quite large and extremely empty, and I'm certain it was against the Aussies. The report I watched was specifically about the issue of low attendances.

Why does Nagpur suffer from small crowds compared with other venues?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/2008/11/ ... _int.shtml

I think that's the game you mean.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Stroller95 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 am

Does anyone edit wikipedia? I have spent a happy 10 minutes poking around looking at clippings and stats from the last time NSW won the Shield final - 07/08, just after Katich was dropped for the first time.

On the Wikipedia page, they have the top five run-getters for a season (Kat :thumb ) followed by the top five averages, with the proviso that the batsman must have played 20 innings in the season. In the runs in a season box, both Elliot and Bevan played 20 innings and averaged over 80, clearly doing better than the last three batsmen in the highest average box. Something is wrong.
Stroller95

Team(s) Supported: Australia, NSW Blues, Penrith Panthers NRL.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket