Who's your favourite commentator?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Who's your favourite commentator?

Postby ddb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:35 pm

rich1uk wrote:
ddb wrote:Danny Morrison.

sorry ddb but thats gotta be a joke surely

he is the worst commentator i have ever heard in any sport

i feel like poking red hot needles in my ears when he is commentating

Appreciate his brilliance, you'd rather be listening to Bhogle bore your ears off about what he had for dinner and that is some talent.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby rich1uk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:01 pm

i would rather watch the preview SKY used for last years fl t20 with nick knight dancing on an endless loop than listen to danny morrison commentate on a cricket match
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Edward Mills Grace » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:27 pm

I'd like to hear Bumble and Coney in tandem more often - apart from the sense of humour, they both get across a great understanding of and enthusiasm for the game without winding themselves up into a frenzy and without forgetting that the commentator's job is to describe and explain, not just to spout opinions. Perfect antidote to the Botham/ Boycott "I've got my view and that's all I'm going to talk about" school of commentary, which for some reason everybody else seems to want to copy.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but no one has the same linguistic - no, damn it, poetic touch that John Arlott possesed, and still no one has Richie Benaud's understanding that you are allowed to shut up sometimes.
Edward Mills Grace

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby dan08 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Best: Jeremy Coney, David Lloyd, Nasser Hussain, Robin Jackman

Worst: Mike Haysman, Russell Arnold, Mark Nicholas, Laxman Sivaramakrishnan.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:13 am

Funny how personal commentator choices are. One man's voice of reason is another's loathsome fool.

Some favourites mentioned here actually, literally make me reach for the off switch. O'Keefe's whinnying neediness. Boycott's bullying, narcissistic bellow. Blofeld's utter incompetence is bewildering. What are the BBC thinking of? When his commentary goes around the world, I feel embarrassed.

Others can annoy for years, but one day i detect a self deprecation, or that they have a sense of their own strangeness, and I'll start to like them. Chief among these is Coney, and his dry, didactic, schoolmasterly descriptions of the slight alteration of cloud conditions, or other. But he sends himself up. Or Greig (he's really got this one, it's gone for miles, but, no, hold on, he's out, it's bowled, all over the place...).

The oleaginous, and quite creepy Mark Nicholas might have followed that path, but his likeness to despotic ideologue David Cameron has cut off that possibility.

My ATG, that fair, earnest, humble enthusiast, Alan McGilvray. Or poet, and a serious man, John Arlott. Today, the funny and informed Vic Marks, who would be a national treasure if cricket was more popular.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Spartacus_Aardvark » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:45 am

I actually quite like the blend on TMS. The opinionated, pig-headed Boycott; the affable (yet still knowledgeable) buffoon that is Tuffers; the delightfully, idiotic eccentric that is Blofeld; the pleasantly sedate, meandering Victor, etc. MPV irritates me when he is on there, but in general I quite like the mix on TMS.
2012 Six Nations prediction guru
Spartacus_Aardvark

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC
England
Chester-le-Street CC

Postby OffStumpYorker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:03 pm

Spartacus_Aardvark wrote:I actually quite like the blend on TMS. The opinionated, pig-headed Boycott; the affable (yet still knowledgeable) buffoon that is Tuffers; the delightfully, idiotic eccentric that is Blofeld; the pleasantly sedate, meandering Victor, etc. MPV irritates me when he is on there, but in general I quite like the mix on TMS.

I have to agree they do have a good blend on TMS, and generally speaking its better than the SKY team, Blofeld does seem to be more concerned about the Pigeons and Buses than the cricket.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Aggers is great on he radio. written articles not so good. Aggers/Marks is a great combination.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ddb » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:04 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 34834.html

Very good article on conflicting interests of commentators.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby andy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:10 pm

bumble best commentator :p
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby DiligentDefence » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Of the current Sky commentators I like Atherton and Hussain for what they say, and Holding for the way he says it, though he resorts to cliche at times. I enjoy listening to Bumble but Mrs DD absolutely hates his off-cricket "witterings". I've started to avoid TMS in case I hear Blofield, who sends my blood pressure soaring. I once managed to listen for 20 mins of an ODI without him saying how many overs had been bowled! I nearly tore the car radio out I was getting so cross.
Ban v Eng combined fantasy guru '10 summer chess champ
'10 Ban v Zim ODI fantasy guru 2011 county division one prediction guru
2011 Zim vs NZ combined prediction guru 2011 India vs WI Tests prediction guru
2012 CB40 fantasy league guru 2014 World T20 fantasy guru
2015 6 Nations prediction league winners 2016 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2017 Masters Fantasy league Winner 2018 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2019 WI v Eng ODI fantasy league 2019 Eng v Pak ODI fantasy league winner
DiligentDefence

Team(s) Supported: Northants, England

Postby Dimi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:42 pm

I think it has already been mentioned here but the most annoying thing for me at times is when tv commentators describe every single thing that happens, whilst some radio commentators talk almost as though they are assuming you are watching the match with them (in a bad way). For example when somebody like Harsha Bogle or Danny Morrison screams "he's hit that straight up in the air!" when a batsman has top edged a pull - yes, thanks, we can clearly see the ball is not travelling along the ground, please keep your mouth shut until you can offer some insight into why the batsman ended up top edging his pull...
Dimi

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:42 pm

If you're listening to Blofeld, it's worth having cricinfo ball by ball to hand to find out what's going on.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Kim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:21 am

My favourite commentator moment of the summer was a game where SKy announced that "unfortunately Nick Knight's microphone isnt working".

Twitter nearly collapsed with the number of tweets in celebration.
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:22 am

Kim wrote:My favourite commentator moment of the summer was a game where SKy announced that "unfortunately Nick Knight's microphone isnt working".

Twitter nearly collapsed with the number of tweets in celebration.

It's not just me then?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket