Quota system

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Quota system

Postby mikesiva » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:30 pm

South Africa's controversial quota system will be ended in 2011....

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/southafr ... 80692.html

Funny, but I thought we had an announcement not so long ago that it had already been ended.
:?
Was it all bad? Or did it achieve some good in the time it was used in Saffer cricket?
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Re: Quota system

Postby NedB-H » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Prince and Amla would both have struggled to keep their places early on without it, and are now the mainstay of the middle order. Otherwise, I'm not sure anything will have come from it. And we had Boucher dropped for Tsolekile a few years back, that wasn't a good adver for quotas.
NedB-H

Postby Mr Popodopolous » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:14 pm

I think it served a purpose, because during apartheid it would have stinted the development of cricket in the black and Asian communities in SA so it was probably a necessary evil.
Mr Popodopolous

Postby NedB-H » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Mr Popodopolous wrote:I think it served a purpose, because during apartheid it would have stinted the development of cricket in the black and Asian communities in SA so it was probably a necessary evil.

That argument might hold at domestic FC level, but they aren't getting rid of the quota there. To get into the FC game without having the privileges of white South Africans would be understably hard. But once players have made it to the professional game, they have reached a level playing field, so they should be competing equally to get to the next stage (international cricket).
And as the SA players' union pointed out, it would almost certainly be more effective to target grass roots development of the game in the townships and deprived areas.
NedB-H

Nice article about SA selection policy

Postby nm2878 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 am

The author makes some very good points that when SA is winning no one talks about selections of colored players based on quota system whereas earlier failures were met with staunch critics.

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/conten ... 06983.html
WI vs England ODI prediction guru
2009 WI vs India ODI Prediction Guru
Wimbledon 2009 Prediction Guru
England vs Australia ODI prediction guru
nm2878

Team(s) Supported: India, Delhi DareDevils

Re: Nice article about SA selection policy

Postby mikesiva » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:43 am

An excellent article....
:thumb
Yeah, I've always argued that, given South Africa's unfortunate history, the quota system was a necessary evil. I believe that has been Mr Pop's argument too. We've been waging a two-man argument for the last couple of years with posters on other fora....
:D
Good to see someone removing his blinkers, and recognising the challenges in South Africa for what they are.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby GordoninPortsmouth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:53 am

The thing that has really irritated me about coverage of the SAf selection policy is the way it implies certain players have only been picked to fill the quota requirements. Where as in fact for some time now players like Ashwell Prince and Makhaya Ntini are clearly there completely on merit.

I don't see anybody in SA cricket getting a "free" lengthy international career just because of the colour of their skin. And really the people who are often complaining about the quota system as just showing their own latent racism IMO
India vs England Tests guru

All that I could rule...but I don't check for fools.
All that I need is to be left to live my way...
GordoninPortsmouth

Team(s) Supported: Australia

Postby Dimi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:03 am

Exactly, Gordon. We did see a few years ago quite publicly Langeveldt(?) withdrawing from the SA squad because he felt that he was picked based on the colour of his skin, and it meant that Nel, who was in fine form, wasn't selected. Thankfully, this sort of situation appears to have stopped, and as you pointed out Prince is/was one of South Africa's best 7/8 batsmen in the country - likewise Duminy.

It also appears to be happening in Rugby Union - the selectors appear to be selecting on merit more than they were a few years ago. Habana gets picked because he is the best winger in the country, regardless of his skin colour. Same as 'The Beast', a complete machine at prop who just goes on the rampage with the ball.

I also feel that it has a positive influence on the team's performance if such quota systems are not brought up.
Dimi

Postby nm2878 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:28 am

Or Dimi maybe Langveldt was made to feel that way by certain complaining sections of SA. Hardly anything to chose between the two IMO which can be confirmed by where Nel is today. Btw it wasnt years ago, just last year of SA's tour to India.
WI vs England ODI prediction guru
2009 WI vs India ODI Prediction Guru
Wimbledon 2009 Prediction Guru
England vs Australia ODI prediction guru
nm2878

Team(s) Supported: India, Delhi DareDevils

Postby Dimi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:44 am

nm2878 wrote:Or Dimi maybe Langveldt was made to feel that way by certain complaining sections of SA. Hardly anything to chose between the two IMO which can be confirmed by where Nel is today. Btw it wasnt years ago, just last year of SA's tour to India.

Was it really only the tour to India?!! Wow. Time flies...
Dimi

Postby D/L » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:50 am

Whilst it may not be the case now, it is certainly probable that South African teams in the fairly recent past have not been picked entirely on merit. Given the nature of the former regime in that country, though, it can be argued that recent selection policy was an understandable measure to redress the balance and encourage the development of players of all of South Africa’s population.

That would be little consolation though to players who, individually, had done nothing wrong and who, based upon merit alone, may have had more opportunities to represent their country.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Dimi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:56 am

I think that the only way to truly banish the quota system from people's minds is to provide a structure that gives people from all communities an equal chance to gain a place on merit. If the money was put into facilities for some areas, then more talent worthy of a place in the national team would come through.
Dimi

Postby greyblazer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:17 am

At present the selection policy looks good to me and even Imraan Khan who was picked against Aus if I am right was basically picked on merit.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby GordoninPortsmouth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Dimi wrote:
nm2878 wrote:Or Dimi maybe Langveldt was made to feel that way by certain complaining sections of SA. Hardly anything to chose between the two IMO which can be confirmed by where Nel is today. Btw it wasnt years ago, just last year of SA's tour to India.

Was it really only the tour to India?!! Wow. Time flies...

That series truly seems like aeons ago.

GordoninPortsmouth

Postby GordoninPortsmouth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:34 pm

It still irritates me a little also that Pietersen likes to make a big thing of how he only left SAf cricket because the quota system selection policy was denying him a fair go.

I mean, good luck to KP for forging a career in Eng but I bet if he had stayed in South Africa he would have ended up playing international cricket pretty much around the time he did for Eng anyway. As a 20 year old back at the start of the millenium though it was ridiculous of him to think he was worth an automatic pick.

The idea that anti-racist policies would have ultimately held back such a prodigious talent is ridiculous and I wonder if KP regrets his earlier statements on this.

GordoninPortsmouth

Next

Return to International Cricket