Quota system

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Quota system

Postby D/L » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:32 pm

mikesiva wrote:...Anybody with a similar record - black, Asian or white - would've deserved to be dropped after such unimpressive stats. To blame his dropping on the quota system was a bit disingenuous. I'm sure KP - and Kieswetter - had their eyes on migrating to England anyway, and the quota system just provided them with an easy beating stick....

This is all speculation and even the best players go through bad patches. The fact that so many players now have mentioned the system in South Africa as one of the motivations for quitting must be seen as significant.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby mikesiva » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:43 pm

D/L wrote:
mikesiva wrote:...Anybody with a similar record - black, Asian or white - would've deserved to be dropped after such unimpressive stats. To blame his dropping on the quota system was a bit disingenuous. I'm sure KP - and Kieswetter - had their eyes on migrating to England anyway, and the quota system just provided them with an easy beating stick....

This is all speculation and even the best players go through bad patches. The fact that so many players now have mentioned the system in South Africa as one of the motivations for quitting must be seen as significant.

It might be 'significant' for other reasons....
:halo:
In my corner of Hertfordshire, there are quite a few white Saffers living here, and unfortunately they say things that aren't quite PC, when they get together at the bus stop. They talk of the 'good old days' before 1992....
:?
Even my boss at my last job, another white Saffer, expressed similar sentiments, which I found quite uncomfortable.

I'm sure KP and Kieswetter are not like that. However, they were very likely economic migrants, who saw richer fields in England, and there's nothing wrong with that. But the fear of being labelled as mercenaries led them to flog the poor old horse of the quota system, to give the impression that they are oh-so-persecuted, which is why they had to flee to England....
:horse
Be honest, and call a spade a spade. Michael Vaughan did!
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby D/L » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:11 pm

That’s just yet more speculation flying in the face of the mounting evidence, Mike, and I wouldn’t hold Vaughan up as an example of telling it like it is.

As for the chaps at the bus stop, I too remember that public transport was much better in 1992.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby mikesiva » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 am

This might be a more successful way to get black youngsters to embrace the game....

http://www.cricinfo.com/southafrica/con ... 62176.html

Ntini is setting up an academy to try and find some black cricketers in the Eastern Cape.

This is what Ntini had to say:

"We do have a structure in South Africa where they are looking for black cricketers outside the usual areas, the cities. They go to the rural areas to try and find promising youngsters," Ntini told Independent on Sunday. "But when you are talking about whether it's developing, or it's still going down a bit, it's a very rare person who will answer in the first way. I would say cricket from the point of view of the black community is not the same as when Khaya Majola or Dr Ali Bacher were around, when it was booming, we had all the schools getting together to play some games. Then it was easier to see who was a very good cricketer, who could go to the high schools and develop their cricket. Now it's not so easy. I would like that to change." Ntini is South Africa's ambassador for the FIFA World Cup which begins in the country in less than a week. For a cricketer to represent his country in that capacity at a global event, Ntini said, was very special. "As a cricketer for me to be there, and part and parcel of what's going on in our country, it's a huge thing, something I'm proud of as a country, as a person and as an individual." Ntini acknowledged cricket in South Africa was still a sport dominated by whites, and for black cricketers to compete and succeed, they had to work that much harder. "Cricket in South Africa is not exclusively white, but it is more white-dominant. The football is more black-dominant, so they are two different ball games in every respect," Ntini said. "For those of us who don't play football, we have to make sure we are 10% ahead of anything else, regarding fitness, regarding preparation, everything, for us to compete with the other players. In a white-dominant sport, to stay there for longer, those kind of things we have to go through."

mikesiva

Postby mikesiva » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:51 pm

'Enver Mall, a player on the black side of the divide in the bad old days and a national selector and franchise chief executive in the new era, remembered Rice, who died in July this year, differently: "When I looked at Clive Rice, purely the cricketer, and not what he stood for or represented as the captain and champion of apartheid South African cricket, he was the ultimate professional hard guy who never gave an inch and who absolutely believed in himself. "The sad part is that he was never able to embrace cricket in the democratic South Africa with its complexities. He could have contributed so much more but he didn't." And he takes sharp exceptions to Richards' views, questioning whether he, like Rice, ever embraced the bigger picture of cricket in the new South Africa. Which leads to another complicated but necessary question: what did white South African cricketers think of apartheid?...It took nearly six more years - during which another 20 caps were handed out - for Makhaya Ntini to become South Africa's first black African Test player. Finally, after 109 years as a Test-playing country and 218 Tests, South African cricket had found a way to represent the race group that in the 2011 census was found to comprise 79.2% of the population - people who, records show, have been playing cricket since the 1860s. Sadly, 175 Tests later, just seven of the 54 caps South Africa have awarded have gone to black Africans....What would have happened if Philander was white? He would have been deemed to have bowled poorly and the wisdom of selecting him injured would have been questioned, but strictly in tactical terms. Nothing more. No one would have dared suggest, however obliquely, that he was in the team because of his race.'

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/ ... e-about-us

Finally, an objective article on South African cricket and the race-selection dilemma....

I also found it interesting to read the views of the golfer Gary Player.

mikesiva

Postby sussexpob » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:49 pm

mikesiva wrote:' I also found it interesting to read the views of the golfer Gary Player.

A quote taken out of context is very dangerous, and in the case of Gary Player's comments, very unrepresentative. Player was the most famous South African sportsman on the planet when he wrote that book, probably the most influential of South African's on the planet, and has always argued that the book was sabotaged by it's editor on instructions by the South African government, and that he never wrote those words. I am inclined to believe him, because Player as a person has always struck me as one of sports greatest "good guys". He has never shown any character or personality traits that would support any evidence that he was racist.

It is said that Player was so touched to meet Nelson Mandela that he broke into tears and kissed Mandela's feet. Mandela for his side has said this of Player, and has said in prison he used to watch Player with pride.....

"Because he was a professional golfer who spent much of his career performing outside South Africa, Gary Player was always perceived as being one step removed from the world of politics. Yet, few men in our country's history did as much to enact political changes for the better that eventually improved the lives of millions of his countrymen. Through his tremendous influence as a great athlete Mr. Player accomplished what many politicians could not. And he did it with courage, perseverance, patience, pride, understanding and dignity that would have been extraordinary even for a world leader".

Player actually did a lot to help black people, in fact if I could quote all of Mandela's words about Player, you would find that the great man said this himself.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby andy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:58 pm

hmm...with AB avaliable for selection again in tests, could that mean problems for Temba Bavuma? and the SA team selection policy and filling the quota?...
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:38 am

Elgar-Someone-Amla-ABDV-FDP-Bavuma-QDK.

It might push Bavuma down the order, as he finished the India series batting at four.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 am

might mean morris, morkel etc not in the team though.
not sure what they will do if philander injured.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:32 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Elgar-Someone-Amla-ABDV-FDP-Bavuma-QDK.

Philander/Maharaj/Rabada/Morkel.

That's five non traditional European looking players in the XI.

Fair point about injuries as the pace back up isn't the ethnicity they are looking for.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby mikesiva » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:07 am

An interesting article on Amla....

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1131324

And another good article on the challenges faced by non-white players in South Africa:

http://africasacountry.com/2015/04/play ... ile-black/