Shiv Chanderpaul

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Shiv Chanderpaul

Postby mikesiva » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Cricinfo ranks Shiv as the best ODi batsmen in the 18 months since June 2007!
:shock:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/magazine ... 86553.html

The stats are compelling, aren't they?
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby mikesiva » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Here's yet another good article about Shiv....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 627594.ece

He wasn't always the patient run-maker he is now....

“I was too anxious,” he recalls now. “I was trying a little too hard. I wanted to get to 100 but never realised you needed to take your time to get there. It was not going to happen all in one go. I needed to be prepared to bat longer and not rush everything. I had to work for my runs.” This was a problem that took years to correct and one of the ways Chanderpaul did it was to approach net sessions as though they were Test matches. “I go to the nets and play it like it is a game situation, where you go out and try to survive. You play shots when you can but the aim is to not get out. Every session is like a Test match and I bat the same as I would in a Test. I think it helps when you play a game.”

He has addressed this problem thru hard work....

'Chanderpaul will bat for hours in practice. Geoff Boycott had nothing on him as a net junky. Back in 2004, when he had his “lethargy” problem, Chanderpaul sought to address the matter on a subsequent tour of England with marathon practice sessions that exhausted the goodwill of teammates. In the end he had to press into service the team’s trainer, Roger Rogers, to bowl at him. But the regime worked: in the Lord’s Test, he returned to form with 128 and 97 not out. Hard work has remained part of the Chanderpaul method ever since. No batting coach helps him with these spartan sessions or advises him when technical glitches occasionally crop up. Chanderpaul is as solitary in his preparations as he is fighting a lone hand in a Test match while wickets fall at the other end. “I don’t need help from anyone,” he says matter-of-factly. “I do my own work. When something needs doing, I work it out for myself.” '

mikesiva

Postby GordoninPortsmouth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:18 pm

mikesiva wrote:Here's yet another good article about Shiv....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 627594.ece

He wasn't always the patient run-maker he is now....

“I was too anxious,” he recalls now. “I was trying a little too hard. I wanted to get to 100 but never realised you needed to take your time to get there. It was not going to happen all in one go. I needed to be prepared to bat longer and not rush everything. I had to work for my runs.” This was a problem that took years to correct and one of the ways Chanderpaul did it was to approach net sessions as though they were Test matches. “I go to the nets and play it like it is a game situation, where you go out and try to survive. You play shots when you can but the aim is to not get out. Every session is like a Test match and I bat the same as I would in a Test. I think it helps when you play a game.”

I find that quite interesting since having watched all of Chanderpaul's career I would never say I found him an impatient player even in his early years.

He did go a long period in the 1990s when 100s were scarce for him but 50s plentiful. A typical Chanderpaul innings back then would be laboured, at times scratchy but above all patient. However he often seemed to get out between 50-100 when its seemed he was overcome by physical tiredness - and perhaps back then he had less physical stamina to supplement his very slight frame.

These days I would say Chanderpaul is a lot more pro-active with his batting. Sure he is patient and often batting for the WI the situation forces him to be cautious and conservative BUT he rarely misses out on scoring opportunities that are there. This combined with a better level of stamina (and perhaps a modicum of weaker bowling) has lead to the improved Chanderpaul we see compared with the 1990s version.

Also it should never be forgotten that he does have the ability to be a very fast scoring player in some circumstances. I will never forget his 55 ball hundred on the 1st day of the Australian 2003 tour of the Carribean. That against a pretty fair attack of Gillespie, Lee, Bichel and MacGill.
India vs England Tests guru

All that I could rule...but I don't check for fools.
All that I need is to be left to live my way...
GordoninPortsmouth

Team(s) Supported: Australia

Postby keshto » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:00 pm

So there is hope for Cook!! He just has to emulate Magical Chanders!
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
George Bernard Shaw
keshto

Postby mikesiva » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:07 pm

Here's another interesting article....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7823594.stm

'So if 2009 is anything like the previous two years, England's biggest challenge in the Caribbean in the Test series which starts on Wednesday will be penetrating fortress Chanderpaul. In his last two series against England, the left-hander has averaged 72.83 and an astonishing 148.67 - even the great Don Bradman could not match the latter over a single series. In the 2007 series in England, he averaged nearly 12 hours at the crease in total, compiling 448 mostly unspectacular, yet equally priceless runs. '

What inspires him?

'The 34-year-old shares his name with the Hindu God Shiva, but their temperaments are polar opposites. Shiva is the destroyer, known for his untamed passion which leads him to extremes in behaviour; while Shiv is the creator, known to frustrate opponents with his crab-like stance as impenetrable as it is unique in tranquil and serene fashion. Yet Shiva the destroyer has had a profound effect on Shiv the creator. A devoutly spiritual man born to Indo-Caribbean parents in Guyana, Chanderpaul has a picture of Shiva in his right pocket every time he bats. '

mikesiva

Postby yuppie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:12 pm

What i find interesting about Shiv is the lack of credit he gets. He is rearly mentioned in the same breath as Sachin, Lara and ponting, yet he has been the most consistent bat over the last 3 years in a team that has not performed. It is a shame, but he must now be considered one of the best WI has ever produced, and certainly the equal of many from this generation.

One wonders, would he make the starting 11 of a alltime WI 11
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby streak » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:49 pm

Could the same thing be said (when mentioning great bats) that Ponting doesn't get enough credit? Same with Kumble (obv not batting)
streak

Postby greyblazer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:52 am

Leave all those players and think about Andy Flower? does he EVER get credit?
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby mikesiva » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Here's another interesting article about Shiv....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... es-cricket

"He is one of only four batsmen to have gone 1,000 minutes in Test matches without conceding his wicket, but is the only person to have done so more than once. Chanderpaul has managed it four times. No other player in Test history has faced 1,000 consecutive deliveries without being dismissed. Only he and three others have averaged 100 in Tests in two different calendar years; he and Bradman are the only ones to do so in consecutive years. This is a phenomenon, a capacity to concentrate and play the ball impossibly late that can be attributed to his early years, when his father cut a rough, bumpy strip in a field for his son to practise on, which he did diligently against all-comers for hours."

mikesiva

Postby Bath Maruwa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:40 pm

mikesiva wrote:Here's another interesting article about Shiv....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... es-cricket

"He is one of only four batsmen to have gone 1,000 minutes in Test matches without conceding his wicket, but is the only person to have done so more than once. Chanderpaul has managed it four times. No other player in Test history has faced 1,000 consecutive deliveries without being dismissed. Only he and three others have averaged 100 in Tests in two different calendar years; he and Bradman are the only ones to do so in consecutive years. This is a phenomenon, a capacity to concentrate and play the ball impossibly late that can be attributed to his early years, when his father cut a rough, bumpy strip in a field for his son to practise on, which he did diligently against all-comers for hours."

Great stuff mikesiva! :thumb
Bath Maruwa

Postby mikesiva » Sun May 03, 2009 3:54 pm

And here's another one....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... es-england

This is Shiv on KP:

'There are few subjects that will shake Chanderpaul out of his private world, but Kevin Pietersen is one of them. The two batsmen are polar opposites – ­Pietersen loves the limelight, Chanderpaul detests "glamour"; Pietersen loves to take risks, Chanderpaul would rather stay at the crease. They meet again at Lord's on Wednesday as England take on West Indies. At the mention of KP, ­Chanderpaul's face grows very dark. On the recent West Indies tour Pietersen took a swipe at him, accusing him of "playing for himself". It was a comment that Chanderpaul did not take lightly. "You can't assume or think someone's just playing for themselves. I don't know where he gets his stories from … I can't be playing for myself when I'm in Trinidad trying to save a match. Scoring 140 and I'm playing for myself?" Chanderpaul's expression is one of utter disgust. Did Pietersen's comment make him angry? "What he said just motivated me more. It definitely made me better at what I was doing. If people come at me I just want to make sure that I can be out there even longer. You get angry and you just want to grind somebody out there longer, that's how I do my job." ­Chanderpaul folds his arms, his outburst a rare moment of expression.'

And this is Shiv's education in the game of cricket....

'Since he was a little boy ­learning to play cricket in Unity Village – a tiny fishing town on the north coast of ­Guyana – it has always been "Shiv" against the rest of the world. When he was eight years old he would stand at one end of a bumpy strip, a roughly cut cricket pitch grazed on by goats, and fend off concrete balls. Grown men from the village would turn out to bowl at him, by the end of the afternoon he would be covered in bruises, carefully soaking his skin in warm water to ease the sting. His father said it was training, to toughen him up. "I think my father gave them a ­challenge to hit me and everybody wanted to," he says, "I had to defend myself. They threw concrete balls, it hurts when they hit you." Did he complain? "I couldn't tell my dad anything," he says, laughing. "He had a big wood inside waiting for me. He said if you want to play cricket you've got to tough it out." This is the reason for his unusually open and crab-like stance. "I had to fend off these short balls, so I had my stance from then. Jumping out the way or shielding my body. Later, I tried to get side-on, but I found I kept falling over."'

mikesiva

Postby Albondiga » Sun May 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Proper batsman - simple as that.
Albondiga

Chanderpaul's hallmark

Postby Ahmose » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:35 pm

I have been trawling through some vid clips and I came across this peculiar one. Mike beware, you may not be too appreciative of this video clip. Would you say the final decision was just? I'd say a resounding, 'Yes!'

WORLDS BEST "ON_THE_SPOT" CRICKET CORRESPONDENT

Fantasy League Titles
'08 SL v Pak Tests '09 SL v NZ combined
'10 US Open '11 SA v Ind ODIs
'11 Ind v NZ ODIs
'11 Eng-India Tests

"Hypocrisy is a national phenomenon. Most European leaders keep on attacking and criticizing African leaders about corruption, however; they are quite happy of what’s going on due to the benefits of those stolen money in Europe... Swiss banks? "?
Ahmose

Re: Chanderpaul's hallmark

Postby mikesiva » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:37 pm

:laugh
Yeah, I think the right decision was made....

When was that? Which series?

mikesiva

Re: Chanderpaul's hallmark

Postby Ahmose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:33 am

Martin to Morton, OUT, Oh dear! good length delivery just outside the off stump, Morton drives the ball to mid-on, calls for a single, Vettori makes good diving stop, Chanderpaul in non-striker end didn't responded, both the batsmen in the same end, Vettori throws to keeper end, Morton walks off with disappointment, Umpires checking about which batsmen made the crease first, third Umpire called, looks like Morton beats chanderpaul by seconds

S Chanderpaul run out 2 (34m 20b 0x4 0x6) SR: 10.00

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/238182.html
WORLDS BEST "ON_THE_SPOT" CRICKET CORRESPONDENT

Fantasy League Titles
'08 SL v Pak Tests '09 SL v NZ combined
'10 US Open '11 SA v Ind ODIs
'11 Ind v NZ ODIs
'11 Eng-India Tests

"Hypocrisy is a national phenomenon. Most European leaders keep on attacking and criticizing African leaders about corruption, however; they are quite happy of what’s going on due to the benefits of those stolen money in Europe... Swiss banks? "?
Ahmose

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket