Shiv Chanderpaul

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Chanderpaul's hallmark

Postby mikesiva » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 am

That was at Napier more than three years ago, when Shiv was captain....
:mrgreen:
That's one a classic, and should be used to teach youngsters how NOT to run!
:lol:
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Re: Shiv Chanderpaul

Postby mikesiva » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:25 am

this could be sacrilegious, but is Shiv's powers on the wane? By his high standards, he's had a poor 2009 in the Test arena, if we can discount his usual high-scoring for Durham in the summer....

he's 35 now, and his Test batting average has now dipped below 50. He's been playing Test cricket since he made his debut as a 19-year old in 1994, so could he finally be on a downward curve? He's played 121 Tests, and the question arises - how many more will he play?

mikesiva

Postby ntini77 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:58 am

mikesiva wrote:this could be sacrilegious, but is Shiv's powers on the wane? By his high standards, he's had a poor 2009 in the Test arena, if we can discount his usual high-scoring for Durham in the summer....

he's 35 now, and his Test batting average has now dipped below 50. He's been playing Test cricket since he made his debut as a 19-year old in 1994, so could he finally be on a downward curve? He's played 121 Tests, and the question arises - how many more will he play?

I fear so :no
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious *modded*."

2009 The Ashes Prediction League Guru
NZ-Pak Tests prediction guru
2010 NZ-Aust Combined Prediction league guru
2011-2012 Premiership final placings guru
2013 SA-Pak ODIs prediction guru
2013 Masters golf prediction guru
2014 WI-NZ Tests fantasy guru
ntini77

Team(s) Supported: West Indies, Barbados, Kent, Man City

Postby mikesiva » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:21 am

It's good to see Shiv back on form, and it took a controversial dismissal to get him out....

Maybe four is the best place for him to bat, with Nash at five, and possibly Bravo at six. That was the batting order in the first innings at Adelaide, wasn't it?

mikesiva

Postby keshto » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am

Shiv at four is ideal, I'd put Nash ahead of Bravo.
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
George Bernard Shaw
keshto

Postby mikesiva » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Now that Shiv seems to be not as good as he used to be, could this be the time for his understudies to step up?

http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvwi09/conten ... 40348.html

"Now there are batsmen coming through who are aiming to emulate Chanderpaul, and the team is better for it. Much like Chanderpaul, Deonarine and Nash are small-statured left-handers whose first priority is to not get out and if runs come along the way, then that's good. It was precisely the attitude the team needed when they came together on the fourth day at the WACA. At that stage the visitors required 291 to win, with seven wickets in hand and time was of no consequence. It was so irrelevant to Nash that for 70 minutes he didn't score a run, remaining on 48. It didn't bother him. He once batted through a whole session for Queensland and scored two runs. Deonarine played in a similar fashion, although he was more willing to attack and memorably brought up his half-century with a six straight back over the head of the bowler Nathan Hauritz. He would have gone through the whole series without playing a Test but for the finger injury that Chanderpaul suffered in Adelaide. He slotted into Chanderpaul's No. 4 position with ease, batting 100 minutes for 18 in the first innings as he aimed to shore up one end, before he lasted 202 minutes for 82 in the second innings. The similarity was even more striking as Deonarine wore anti-glare strips under his eyes - the same patches that Chanderpaul has made a trademark."

mikesiva

Postby mikesiva » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Shiv has hit back at the WICB CEO's statement, implying that Shiv is indisciplined, in a strongly-worded statement....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/ ... 12932.html

"If they were made by you, I note that you constantly use the word 'we' in the excerpt above," Chanderpaul wrote. "I would like to know if this is a 'royal we' or, in other words, are you speaking for yourself, albeit as CEO of the West Indies Cricket Board or are you speaking for and on behalf of the West Indies Cricket Board itself? This is important to me since I believe I have served the WICB and West Indies Cricket faithfully and well during my career and it would be difficult for me to accept that the members of the board of directors of West Indies cricket have sanctioned those remarks. On what basis have you made those statements and with what purpose?" Asking Hilaire to reply urgently, Chanderpaul said he was worried the comments would damage his reputation. "I am convinced that those persons who do not know the sacrifices I have made on behalf of West Indies Cricket and my dedication to the cause of West Indies Cricket would believe, based on what you have said in your interview, that I lack discipline and application and have not demonstrated the sense of responsibility which I know that I have shown throughout my career. While I would refer you to my unblemished reputation for professionalism and to all the other CEOs, coaches and managers with whom I have worked, I believe that you have crossed the line by making these public accusations that, while they may include others, are also directed at me and if unchallenged and corrected may destroy my career." Chanderpaul told Hilaire in his letter that if he did not receive an adequate explanation he would take whatever action necessary to clear his name. "While it would help if the WICB as an organisation repudiates your comments in this regards, it would still not be sufficient to erase the tremendous damage already done. I await your urgent response and reserve all of my rights in this matter."

It's puzzling that only Hilaire has ever made any allegations about Shiv being indisciplined in his long career. In all his county cricket, he's been nothing short of professional. So, I believe Hilaire needs to come out with concrete proof of Shiv's unprofessionalism, or his credibility is in question. And if it's in question over his dealings with Shiv, what does it say about his dealings with Sarwan and Gayle?

mikesiva

Postby chandersgirl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:29 pm

I am sure that his comments will not damage Chanderpaul's reputation. Persons who have been following his career over the years would know better.
chandersgirl

Postby mikesiva » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:35 pm

I agree, the WICB's behaviour is only reflecting badly on itself....

Here's their reply to Shiv's letter, which only serves to exacerbate matters:

http://caribbeancricket.com/news/2011/04/29/3132

"The CEO reiterated that he mentioned the name of no player and the comments were based on reports and public comments made by previous coaches. The WICB has informed Chanderpaul that he has been and remain a valued member of the West Indies first team squad and looks forward to his continued involvement with West Indies cricket. The WICB expresses disappointment that WIPA appears to be intent using every opportunity to cause disaffection in West Indies cricket and is not averse to offering ill advice to players to achieve this end."

But this is what the CEO said in that interview....

"We stated clearly last year that we were at the bottom, we’ve been doing things a particular way for the last 15 years, it has not brought us success. We must do it differently. We must be brave, we must be bold, we must be daring and we must be prepared to make fundamental changes and face the criticisms that will come from making those decisions. You want to have individuals who have the right attitude and disposition to training, to team meetings, to building that togetherness and cohesiveness. You don’t want somebody who goes out there to play and their first concern is to score 45 because that is the average they want to keep. You want individuals who are told this is the game plan for the team, this is where we’re going, this is what we need of you, between certain stages of the game this is what we expect of you to do. You want a ‘team’, you want guys who will be prepared to sacrifice average, if necessary, for the team."

There is only one player who's been a member of the team over the past 15 years, and that's Chanderpaul. There's only one player who averages 45 or over, and that's Chanderpaul. Is it any surprise that Shiv thinks that those comments are directed at him? It seems pretty obvious to me, and if they're not directed at Shiv, then Hilaire needs to come out and say exactly who they were directed at....

mikesiva

Postby Albondiga » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:58 pm

I hate to think what the results would have been without him.
Albondiga

Postby mikesiva » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Exactly, Albondiga....

In fact, we're seeing that now, with the WIndies making scores of 221, 220 and 171 in their first three ODIs.

And the spat with Shiv is turning more unpleasant....

http://www.windiesfans.com/index.php/La ... ction.html

"the WICB selectors asked me to retire and were upset when I refused to do so....as far as you are concerned I was dropped from the team not for lack of performance, age, fitness and/or discipline but it is the new direction WICB is going in. What direction is that, when three of the four best batsmen are dropped from the team?... I have also told Mr. Howard on the telephone that I am dissatisfied with what the WICB has apparently condoned because since the conclusion of the World Cup, I have seen several attacks against the senior players, which includes me, by in particular the Coach, WICB CEO, and the Communications Officer in the WICB official Facebook and Twitter pages."

I think Shiv and WIPA have gone a bit too far with this statement, but of course it wasn't helped by the WICB statement, which was provocative, at a time when they should be trying to mend fences, instead of looking for scapegoats.

mikesiva

Postby chandersgirl » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:21 pm

I dont know why they dont focus their energies on making our cricket competitive and better. Wonder who they will turn on next
chandersgirl

Postby mikesiva » Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 am

chandersgirl wrote:I dont know why they dont focus their energies on making our cricket competitive and better. Wonder who they will turn on next

Well, after this, we can see why Shiv reacted as angrily as he did....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/ ... 13974.html

"I think, given the opportunity, I might have got bigger scores. Every time I settled in and started to get runs, messages would come telling what to do and what not to do, how to bat and how not to bat," Chanderpaul said. "I've been doing it for 17 years. When John Dyson was coach he never said anything to me. When Bennett King was coach he said, 'You go and do your job, we don't have to tell you what to do.' I had no problem then. Now we have people here, who are telling me how to bat. And when the game is over, I have to answer questions. I have to answer those questions and when I do, and it's not suitable, then I have to agree with whatever answers they want before the meeting is over. Been called into meetings everyday, or every other day, spending hours answering questions. You never leave a meeting until they get whatever answer they want. That is what I've been going through. When you batting there are messages coming to you telling you how to bat, it happens until you get out, you know."

And this....

"I see Christopher Gayle in the gym working, Sarwan doing extra work. All of us doing extra work and yet we've been cast aside just like that." A criticism of the present West Indies team has been its poor results against top sides - the victory against Pakistan in the fourth ODI was their first against a Full Member other than Bangladesh since June 2009. Chanderpaul, however, said the team had been "doing pretty OK. I've been hearing a lot of things recently, about how this team hasn't been doing anything, haven't been winning against a top team. The same team, the same team, when John Dyson was coach, we were winning against England, winning against Sri Lanka, winning against South Africa, winning against top teams around the world."

Here's the interview in its entirety on Jamaican radio station KLAS FM....

http://soundcloud.com/windiesfans/line- ... rview-with

mikesiva

Postby keshto » Fri May 06, 2011 10:51 am

seems like the WICB have been acting dirty!
A bit of a shocking way to treat a player like Chanders!
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
George Bernard Shaw
keshto

Postby Stroller95 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:28 pm

For someone of Chanderpaul's gravitas to feel he has been treated so poorly is a real shame. Imagine telling him how to bat!
Stroller95

Team(s) Supported: Australia, NSW Blues, Penrith Panthers NRL.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket