Sammy vs Gayle as WI captain

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Is West Indies cricket dead ?

Postby chandersgirl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:40 am

Watching Darren Bravo bat today made me feel like we could play good competitive cricket within the next two to three years or so. Even though we have not won a series in ages the emergence of Bishoo, Darren Bravo, Barath and Simmons gives me hope. I hope these players develop the mental fortitude to fight till the bitter end. We are to frail our players shoulders and body language gets negative way to easily and often times we do so poorly in tight situations.

I am so proud that Rampaul has done the hard work and is now bowling much better. If we can get a decent keeper and Taylor and Roach firing that would be great.

Sammy may not be the man for the job because the 'experts' say he unbalances the team but with his team I see more passion and pride when Gayke was captain.

Still think we dont play enough domestic cricket and we prepare too much poor pitches which does not help our players.
chandersgirl

Re: Is West Indies cricket dead ?

Postby ntini77 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Got to get Roach back in our starting line-up.
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious *modded*."

2009 The Ashes Prediction League Guru
NZ-Pak Tests prediction guru
2010 NZ-Aust Combined Prediction league guru
2011-2012 Premiership final placings guru
2013 SA-Pak ODIs prediction guru
2013 Masters golf prediction guru
2014 WI-NZ Tests fantasy guru
ntini77

Team(s) Supported: West Indies, Barbados, Kent, Man City

Postby mikesiva » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:02 am

Darren Sammy is aiming for the top five....
:?
"Obviously bringing the whole professional attitude into practice properly and getting fit [are top of the agenda]," said Sammy, outlining the side's vision, as they strive to shake off years of sub-par performances. "I believe the fitter you are, the more right decisions you will make. You will not cramp up under pressure. Being in the top five by 2015, and building a strong team that will go out and compete against anybody [are also part of the plan]. If you noticed over the last couple of years, we have been rotating the same guys. So now we are exposing a few more players, getting the right system, the right work ethic to go out and represent West Indies. Start changing the whole laidback type of culture, just strictly being professional. Knowing what to do for the team, and doing whatever it takes to make the team win [are the goals]."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies ... 22819.html

He talks a good game, but realistically speaking, the Windies lost a home series against India, and drew a home series against Pakistan....

And as long as bitter disputes occur with key players like Gayle, it's hard to see that happening.

Here's your issue, ntini....

"I think I have justified my selection as a bowler in the team," Sammy said. "My batting has obviously not been up to scratch. It's something I have to work on. If I look at my Test record it is okay. In every team somebody will be always the fall guy.so far it's always been me. It's always been me. It's tough luck on Kemar. At the end of the day the selectors pick the team … What's good is that we have competition for spots in the bowling department."

There's no questioning that Sammy outbowled a lethargic Roach in the two Tests against Pakistan, but Sammy was definitely the weak link in the bowling attack against India....

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ype=series

Fidel was outstanding, taking 19 wickets at an average of exactly 20, and Rampaul was very good with 10 wickets at just under 25, while Bishoo was about average with 12 wickets at just over 32, but Sammy's returns were poor, seven wickets from three Tests at an average of over 38.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby greyblazer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:22 am

I don't understand why do a few people only talk about averages. The amount of pressure that Sammy applied from one end helped others to get wickets. The simple fact is Sammy knows what is line and length and in absence of bowlers who can consistently average below 30 Sammy is a must in the West Indies side as a bowler. He though still doesn't have even a decent defence to survive as a batsman.

Another point to notice is under Sammy WI play with more passion than they ever did under the God of WI cricket Gayle :D
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby DiligentDefence » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 am

greyblazer wrote:I don't understand why do a few people only talk about averages. The amount of pressure that Sammy applied from one end helped others to get wickets. The simple fact is Sammy knows what is line and length and in absence of bowlers who can consistently average below 30 Sammy is a must in the West Indies side as a bowler. He though still doesn't have even a decent defence to survive as a batsman.

Another point to notice is under Sammy WI play with more passion than they ever did under the God of WI cricket Gayle :D

It was certainly noticeable that there was a lot less drifting aimlessly through a passage of play than there was under Gayle.
Ban v Eng combined fantasy guru '10 summer chess champ
'10 Ban v Zim ODI fantasy guru 2011 county division one prediction guru
2011 Zim vs NZ combined prediction guru 2011 India vs WI Tests prediction guru
2012 CB40 fantasy league guru 2014 World T20 fantasy guru
2015 6 Nations prediction league winners 2016 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2017 Masters Fantasy league Winner 2018 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2019 WI v Eng ODI fantasy league 2019 Eng v Pak ODI fantasy league winner
DiligentDefence

Team(s) Supported: Northants, England

Postby silvamaine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 pm

And that's another thing i've noticed this summer in the Caribbean, despite several flaws that still need to be addressed, when was the last time we had a West Indies team that bowled teams out with only four bowlers?...alot has been said about the pitches, but if that helps the bowlers gain whatever advantage they can, then what is the problem? Some cynics on here will say they still lost, which is a fact that i can't deny, but at least they showed glimpses of playing as a team, who want to compete against the opposition and not just drift away to a inevitable one-sided beating, that has occured for as long as i can remember (pre-Gibson/Sammy).

There's obviously more inner-politics going on more than i could ever know, but just from face-value, Otis Gibson is not neccessarily looking for the best players to get-together, but a collective unit, who are willing to work hard, commit themselves and play for each other. And it seems to me that certain individuals were not willing to do that and expected to get picked on their reputation, instead of doing the hard-yards required from the Coach and management. I do find it refreshing that so many youngsters have been tried and tested in such a short space of time. I'm sure that the experience will be good for them and now they know what they need to do, to improve their cricket and play at the highest level.

If the Gayles, Sarwan, Benn, Ramdin and Taylors of this world can find a way of working out their issues with the Coaches, Management and Board, then that's great for the direction West Indies cricket needs to go, but if they can't then life will just have to go on without them.
silvamaine

Postby shankycricket » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I think WI have done well under Sammy in Tests.They were very competitive in the Test Series against SL last year which was Sammy's first series as captain.They drew against Pak.And 0-1 defeat against the No 1 side in the world is hardly a disgrace.I think WI need to stick with Sammy as captain.As Grey said when he doesnt take wickets himself he takes wickets for others.His batting is very poor but he can score the odd 20 or 30.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby chandersgirl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:36 pm

greyblazer wrote:I don't understand why do a few people only talk about averages. The amount of pressure that Sammy applied from one end helped others to get wickets. The simple fact is Sammy knows what is line and length and in absence of bowlers who can consistently average below 30 Sammy is a must in the West Indies side as a bowler. He though still doesn't have even a decent defence to survive as a batsman.

:pint :pint
chandersgirl

Postby mikesiva » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm not convinced about Sammy, but I won't argue against him continuing as captain for now.
:)
And according to chief selector Clyde Butts' guarded comments, that seems about to continue, for the autumn's tours of Bangladesh and India:

http://www2.guardian.co.tt/sport/2011/0 ... s-possible

“I think there is no doubt in my mind that he will be considered for the job in the future, but we have not made a decision as yet and then gone to the Board with our decision, but definitely he will be considered. To be fair, we are going to Bangladesh later in the year and so we will have to make our recommendation pretty soon. Sammy has bowled pretty well, and captained the team on the field well.”

It also seems clear from this interview that left-arm spinners Suleimann Benn and Nikita Miller won't be selected any time soon, because they received 'negative reports' from the management after the World Cup....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby flyinginabluedream » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 pm

The difference with Sammy is that he is making the right moves and although his rhetoric is nothing we haven't heard before, it is the first time in a long time that a WI captain has taken the bull by the horns in this way. In recent years it has been the usual soundbites from captains followed by intermittent performances.

The last time WI came to England they were clearly indifferent about how they performed and Gayle did not lead with any vigour. I always feel that if a sporting leader sets out his intent in the way that Sammy has, then people get behind them.

Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd and Richie Richardson lead by example and had talented players at their disposal, but they also lead a united set of players and there is now a need to start from scratch and reunite the different factions again. Sammy appears to be at the very least, beginning to move in that direction.
flyinginabluedream

Team(s) Supported: Lancashire and England

Sammy vs Gayle as WI captain

Postby greyblazer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Sammy and co. have shown how seamers can be effective on slow and low wickets. Actually under Sammy WI look a lot better than they ever did under Gayle. It is also amazing to see how much Baugh has improved as a keeper.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Re: India vs WI, First Test, New Delhi, Nov 6-10

Postby shankycricket » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:31 pm

greyblazer wrote:Sammy and co. have shown how seamers can be effective on slow and low wickets. Actually under Sammy WI look a lot better than they ever did under Gayle. It is also amazing to see how much Baugh has improved as a keeper.

Gayle never convinced me as a skipper and Sammy is doing a decent job as a captain and as a bowler..But they do miss Gayle opening the batting though.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby greyblazer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Gayle averages about 40 and has usually done well on roads. I don't think they miss him much as in future Lendl Simmons or Barath can take his place.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby shankycricket » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 pm

greyblazer wrote:Gayle averages about 40 and has usually done well on roads. I don't think they miss him much as in future Lendl Simmons or Barath can take his place.

He has averaged 53 since that England tour in 2009

shankycricket

Postby greyblazer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Most of his big hundreds since that England tour have come on flat wickets right? I remember him getting a 100 on that road at Adelaide. Crowe once said that if he thought about Adelaide he would only think about a 100. He also made a triple hundred on a Galle wicket that looked flat from the start. No wonder both matches ended in a draw. The only good 100 was at Perth in the 09/10 series against Aus.

If you ask Gayle to play at Antigua, Adelaide or on some of the wickets that were prepared for the CL at Bangalore he will definitely murder the opposition but if there is something in it he usually fails. Just take the example of CL when he looked like the greatest player on earth at Bangalore but looked clueless when there was a bit of spin at Chennai in the final. Yes credit has to go to Gayle for getting those big hundreds but usually in those games the other team too would get a big score and the match will end in a draw.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Next

Return to International Cricket