Sammy vs Gayle as WI captain

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Sammy vs Gayle as WI captain

Postby GGAS » Mon May 28, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm not sure it's fair to use W/L ratios when determining captains. That would make Punter the best ever! If you also consider that Gayle had a better team at his disposal I think it shows Sammy hasn't done badly at all. Losing in England is hardly a disgrace, but it's series' such as the one vs NZ that are important.
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby greyblazer » Mon May 28, 2012 5:12 pm

When Gayle was the captain he was opening the batting, Taylor was doing well on occasions, Sarwan was in the squad, Nash was doing reasonably well and they had few more decent players yet there were times like against SA in 2010, in OZ in 09/10 in the onedayers and t/20's, against England in 2009 the side just rolled over without even a semblance of fight.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby greyblazer » Mon May 28, 2012 5:13 pm

GG - Amir Sohail wrote:I'm not sure it's fair to use W/L ratios when determining captains. That would make Punter the best ever! If you also consider that Gayle had a better team at his disposal I think it shows Sammy hasn't done badly at all. Losing in England is hardly a disgrace, but it's series' such as the one vs NZ that are important.

And Andy Flower the worst captain ever.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby meninblue » Mon May 28, 2012 5:42 pm

GG - Amir Sohail wrote:I'm not sure it's fair to use W/L ratios when determining captains. That would make Punter the best ever! If you also consider that Gayle had a better team at his disposal I think it shows Sammy hasn't done badly at all. Losing in England is hardly a disgrace, but it's series' such as the one vs NZ that are important.

IMO Credit should be given where it is due. Ponting is the most successful captain, whether we like it or not. His wins are a testimony to his success and out numbers any other captains wins. It is not Pontings fault that along with good captaincy skills he had a good team as well. Sixteen test wins in a row , couple of world cups, other major test and ODI series are under his belt. I reckon if any captain is given those wins they would be more than happy.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby greyblazer » Mon May 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Most would reckon that Punter wasn't a great captain.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby andy » Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 pm

another test series defeat for sammy and the windies.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby OffStumpYorker » Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:IMO Credit should be given where it is due. Ponting is the most successful captain, whether we like it or not. His wins are a testimony to his success and out numbers any other captains wins. It is not Pontings fault that along with good captaincy skills he had a good team as well. Sixteen test wins in a row , couple of world cups, other major test and ODI series are under his belt. I reckon if any captain is given those wins they would be more than happy.

While punter has those stats you have to consider that most of those were gained under a team that basically ran its self on the field, Bowlers generally set thier own fields, I remember Warne going ballistic when Punter had the temerity to set a field for him. Once the greats had left the Aussie team you saw a marked change in punters stats,

Pre Feb-2007 (Side of Greats) : P 35, W 27, L 3, D 5
Post Feb-2007 (Next Gen) : P 42, W21, L 13, D 8

that about sums up punters Cricket career as captain which is a tale of 2 halfs, and shows that 77% Win to Played Ratio dropping to 46% after the retirement of the greats, the W/L ratio plumits from 9 to 1.6.

Noramally you would expect to see an adjustment but with a very good captain would it be that drastic? Its the same for Strauss who is likely to go down as one of the best England captains but is that because he has a team of good players behind him.

At the moment Strauss is on 24 wins from 46 games, and two wins away from Vaughan who had 26 in 51, does that make Strauss a better captian that Vauaghan? Or just more fortunate to have a better team.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby shankycricket » Tue May 29, 2012 11:44 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:

IMO Credit should be given where it is due. Ponting is the most successful captain, whether we like it or not. His wins are a testimony to his success and out numbers any other captains wins. It is not Pontings fault that along with good captaincy skills he had a good team as well. Sixteen test wins in a row , couple of world cups, other major test and ODI series are under his belt. I reckon if any captain is given those wins they would be more than happy.

But the thing is when he didnt have a great team, his captaincy looked non-existent. There is a clear correlation.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue May 29, 2012 11:50 am

To be quite frank no one gave the Windies a realistic hope of winning this series, infact their ability to even compete with England was dressed up in many quarters such as CMJs article in the Times before the series and yet despite the impression of crushing wins they have actually pushed England in this series so far, their batting may be laughed at but they've posted two 300+ scores against one of the best attacks around in their own back yard.

One poor innings in the last test showed that they are far from the finished article but they've done very well here in England and a true test will be to see how they get on against the Kiwis at home later this year.

It's hardly fair to hold them over the brazier for a series which no one expected them to win to begin with.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby shankycricket » Tue May 29, 2012 11:51 am

I agree M_S but do you think a player should be picked in the side for his captaincy if not good enough?

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby greyblazer » Tue May 29, 2012 11:55 am

Sammy got a century in the last test and he does a holding job as a bowler.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 am

And how is the series result any reflection on Sammy's performance?

He's one of the few who can walk with their head's held high in this side at present.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby shankycricket » Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 am

Why is it repeatedly forgotten that Sammy is in the side as a part of a 4 man attack and is thus supposed to pick wickets? His runs are a bonus.
:?

shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Tue May 29, 2012 11:58 am

greyblazer wrote:Sammy got a century in the last test and he does a holding job as a bowler.

I am not saying he doesnt do a job. The question is whether he is among the top 4 bowlers in Windies? I dont think so.

shankycricket

Postby greyblazer » Tue May 29, 2012 12:01 pm

For a start I see Sammy doing a better job than Edwards and on flat wickets better than Shillingford as a bowler.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket