Sammy vs Gayle as WI captain

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Sammy vs Gayle as WI captain

Postby meninblue » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:39 am

shankybiggestengfan wrote:Under Sammy the team definitely looks more motivated than under Gayle but WI do miss Gayle at the top of the order.Yes,he is a flat track bully but he is very good at it.The current openers struggle even on flat tracks.

I won't compare anyone other than Chanderpaul with Gayle. Everyone else is inexperienced. It's like comparing a proven match winner with someone who has 10 test matches under belt. Without Gayle the team will struggle more and that is going to affect Sammy's records as captain, if he captains for as long a period as Gayle did.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:
shankybiggestengfan wrote:Under Sammy the team definitely looks more motivated than under Gayle but WI do miss Gayle at the top of the order.Yes,he is a flat track bully but he is very good at it.The current openers struggle even on flat tracks.

I won't compare anyone other than Chanderpaul with Gayle. Everyone else is inexperienced. It's like comparing a proven match winner with someone who has 10 test matches under belt. Without Gayle the team will struggle more and that is going to affect Sammy's records as captain, if he captains for as long a period as Gayle did.

Agreed although I believe Shiv is a couple of notches above Gayle as a Test batsman.
Apart from comparing Gayle with Shiv,I agree with you.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby meninblue » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:52 am

shankybiggestengfan wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:

Agreed although I believe Shiv is a couple of notches above Gayle as a Test batsman.

Totally different approach to cricket as far as Gayle and Chanderpaul is concerned. One will play his strokes whereas other prefers to wait for the bad ball. Both are match winners in their own style though.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:57 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:

Totally different approach to cricket as far as Gayle and Chanderpaul is concerned. One will play his strokes whereas other prefers to wait for the bad ball. Both are match winners in their own style though.

Shiv has been a terrific consistent middle order stalwart for West Indies for nearly 15 years.
Gayle is a good batsman,nothing more than that.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby dan08 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:58 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:

Gayle is only 1 of 4 players with 2 300's to their name.

Shiv has been a terrific consistent middle order stalwart for West Indies for nearly 15 years.
Gayle is a good batsman,nothing more than that.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby shankycricket » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:02 am

E No7

You forgot to type.

shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:05 am

Chanderpaul is the better player, but Gayle is their next best batter and dropping him was ridiculous.
meninblue

Postby rich1uk » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:08 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:Chanderpaul is the better player, but Gayle is their next best batter and dropping him was ridiculous.

from a purely cricketing point of view then i would agree

we are not really party to exactly what has gone on between gayle, the WIPA and the WICB tho and how much of this has been gayle's own doing
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby shankycricket » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:Chanderpaul is the better player, but Gayle is their next best batter and dropping him was ridiculous.

And I dont disagree with that.

shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:18 am

rich1uk wrote:

from a purely cricketing point of view then i would agree

we are not really party to exactly what has gone on between gayle, the WIPA and the WICB tho and how much of this has been gayle's own doing

:thumb
We will never know as both parties say they are correct. As a batsman he is being missed though.
meninblue

Postby greyblazer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:19 pm

If Gayle and the board ever sort out their problems then he is definitely good enough to play in a weak WI side but the way people talk about Gayle it seems like he is as great as Sobers.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby rich1uk » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:41 pm

greyblazer wrote:If Gayle and the board ever sort out their problems then he is definitely good enough to play in a weak WI side but the way people talk about Gayle it seems like he is as great as Sobers.

strange how a players reputation gets enhanced when hes not playing and the team are struggling , same happened with ian bell in the recent ODI series against india
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby dan08 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:51 pm

shankybiggestengfan wrote:E No7

You forgot to type.

I did type but obviously it didn't come out. It has happened to you before when just the quotes come uo.

I was going to say that Gayle is more than a good batsman if he has two triple centuries but if i had to choose between Gayle and Chanderpaul then i would choose Shiv!
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby meninblue » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:57 pm

England's_No7 wrote:

You forgot to type.

I did type but obviously it didn't come out. It has happened to you before when just the quotes come uo.

I was going to say that Gayle is more than a good batsman if he has two triple centuries but if i had to choose between Gayle and Chanderpaul then i would choose Shiv!

Agreed Chanders better than gayle. But Gayle better than Simmons, Darren, Kirk, Adrian etc.

Good batsmen score only 100+, 300 plus are scored by quality players. No ordinary player has got a 300 in international level.
meninblue

Postby greyblazer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:23 pm

England's_No7 wrote:

You forgot to type.

If in a match one team gets 600 and the other team gets 700+ with even Mark Boucher bowling for fun it doesn't seem like batsmen are tested. Gayle is a good batsman but nothing more. When the wicket is flat he has the ability to murder opponents but on wickets which helps the bowlers a bit he has rarely done well. The one decent knock I can remember was at WACA and that wicket wasn't like the usual bouncy WACA wicket we have seen over the years.I would rather take batsmen who can get 100's on wickets that are bowler friendly.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket