Sammy vs Gayle as WI captain

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Sammy vs Gayle as WI captain

Postby greyblazer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:34 am

When Gayle got that 300 at Antigua a few others got their chance too late to score a triple hundred.Gayle opened the batting and feasted on one of the flattest decks ever seen. Even Mark Boucher, Dippanear, Prince bowled in that match.

No one compared Gayle and Sammy as a batsman but Sammy deserves a place in the side as a bowler. A better comparison would be until recently Kallis didn't have a double hundred yet Gayle has couple of triple hundreds on feather-beds but that doesn't make Gayle a special player and Kallis just a good batsman :D
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby shankycricket » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:33 am

greyblazer wrote:When Gayle got that 300 at Antigua a few others got their chance too late to score a triple hundred.Gayle opened the batting and feasted on one of the flattest decks ever seen. Even Mark Boucher, Dippanear, Prince bowled in that match.

No one compared Gayle and Sammy as a batsman but Sammy deserves a place in the side as a bowler. A better comparison would be until recently Kallis didn't have a double hundred yet Gayle has couple of triple hundreds on feather-beds but that doesn't make Gayle a special player and Kallis just a good batsman :D

:clap
Couldnt agree more
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby mikesiva » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:26 am

If Gayle had batted on this flat track at Kolkata instead of Brathwaite, there's a great likelihood that the Windies may have drawn this Test....

So, it's important to have batsmen who can deliver on tracks such as these. Instead, the Windies lose by an innings, and have lost the series. It was an insipid, uninspired performance by the Windies in the field and in the first innings. The only fight was shown in the second innings, so I can't see sammy coming out of this Test with much kudos as a leader. Yes, he's earned his place in the side as a bowler, but as a leader, I didn't see much at Kolkata that he has added to the side over Gayle.

So, another loss to Sammy's leadership, and his stats as captain continue to worsen....won two, lost four, drawn six.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby shankycricket » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:29 am

mikesiva wrote:If Gayle had batted on this flat track at Kolkata instead of Brathwaite, there's a great likelihood that the Windies may have drawn this Test....

So, it's important to have batsmen who can deliver on tracks such as these. Instead, the Windies lose by an innings, and have lost the series. It was an insipid, uninspired performance by the Windies in the field and in the first innings. The only fight was shown in the second innings, so I can't see sammy coming out of this Test with much kudos as a leader. Yes, he's earned his place in the side as a bowler, but as a leader, I didn't see much at Kolkata that he has added to the side over Gayle.

So, another loss to Sammy's leadership, and his stats as captain continue to worsen....won two, lost four, drawn six.

I agree with what you have said about Gayle on these sort of pitches :thumb
However regarding Sammy's leadership,I cant see what what Sammy he could have done differently over here :?

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby greyblazer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Anyway WI got 460 without Gayle. I don' t know how can anyone lead a weak team to a victory and that too in India? Under Sammy WI though continue to show a bit of fight which wasn't seen under Gayle's leadership.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby meninblue » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 am

mikesiva wrote:If Gayle had batted on this flat track at Kolkata instead of Brathwaite, there's a great likelihood that the Windies may have drawn this Test....

That's the difference between Gayle and other West Indian batsman. Even when set on flat wickets his team mates knock a ton, but could not convert it to doubles. That's an ability of high class players and Gayle certainly has done that over the years. If Gayle gets set on such wickets there is a high probability of him knocking a huge ton or a double or even a triple. I doubt any other of his team mates will knock a double or not against top 5 teams. Even if they do they might together not have as many doubles and triples as Gayle has.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:

That's the difference between Gayle and other West Indian batsman. Even when set on flat wickets his team mates knock a ton, but could not convert it to doubles. That's an ability of high class players and Gayle certainly has done that over the years. If Gayle gets set on such wickets there is a high probability of him knocking a huge ton or a double or even a triple. I doubt any other of his team mates will knock a double or not against top 5 teams. Even if they do they might together not have as many doubles and triples as Gayle has.

Gayle has 13 Test hundreds in a 12 year long career.
Cook has 19 in a 5 and a half year long career.I havent seen anyone call him a special player and rightly so :?

shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:57 am

shankybiggestengfan wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:

Cook has 19 in a 5 and a half year long career.I havent seen anyone call him a special player and rightly so :?

Let us wait and see how many doubles and triple Simmons, Kirk, Adrian, Darren has after playing equal number of tests. Cook as well is a quality player for me.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:58 am

ATM he is AT BEST the sixth best Test opener in the world.
Smith,Sehwag,Cook,Gambhir and Strauss(in that order IMO) are comfortably better than him.
If the sixth best opener in world cricket is so special then cricket must be in a very healthy state :?

shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:00 am

shankybiggestengfan wrote:ATM he is AT BEST the sixth best Test opener in the world.
Smith,Sehwag,Cook,Gambhir and Strauss(in that order IMO) are comfortably better than him.
If the sixth best opener in world cricket is so special then cricket must be in a very healthy state :?

All i said was i think Gayle will have more doubles and triples than what Kirk, Simmons, Adrian and Darren will have in total after playing equal number of tests. I didn't compare him with Gautam, Cook, Strauss, Smith and Sehwag.
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:08 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:

Let us wait and see how many doubles and triple Simmons, Kirk, Adrian, Darren has after playing equal number of tests. Cook as well is a quality player for me.

From what I have seen of Darren Bravo he is a more talented player than Gayle.He is certainly a far better player than what Gayle was at his age.If he can keep his head right,he will go on and have a very successful Test career.
Same for Barath although less so.
I am not sure about the others.But you really shouldnt be determining the quality of a player by comparing him with a few extremely inexperienced youngsters.When you compare Gayle with some of the best batsmen in the world then he falls a bit short of what you call 'special'.Good player,yes but he is nothing special.

In T20 you can call him special,not in Tests though.

shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:13 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:
shankybiggestengfan wrote:ATM he is AT BEST the sixth best Test opener in the world.

All i said was i think Gayle will have more doubles and triples than what Kirk, Simmons, Adrian and Darren will have in total after playing equal number of tests. I didn't compare him with Gautam, Cook, Strauss, Smith and Sehwag.

And how can you pass such a judgement so early?Give the youngsters a fair chance before passing such a definitive judgement.
Was Gayle's record any better than some of these youngsters after his first few Test matches?

shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:14 am

sportbloggeradi wrote:
sportbloggeradi wrote:

From what I have seen of Darren Bravo he is a more talented player than Gayle.He is certainly a far better player than what Gayle was at his age.If he can keep his head right,he will go on and have a very successful Test career.
Same for Barath although less so.
I am not sure about the others.But you really shouldnt be determining the quality of a player by comparing him with a few extremely inexperienced youngsters.When you compare Gayle with some of the best batsmen in the world then he falls a bit short of what you call 'special'.Good player,yes but he is nothing special.

In T20 you can call him special,not in Tests though.

As i said in my previous comment I will wait and see . :thumb
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:29 am

In some of your previous posts(not today) you weretrying to imply that Gayle is some kind of special player just because he has two triples(even though on two National Highways) despite the fact that his overall record is nothing special when compared to some of his contemporaries.

shankycricket

India vs WI, Third Test, Mumbai, Nov 22-26

Postby andy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Intresting difference between the 2 skippers

Dhoni: Looks cool, calm and relaxed all the time. He always appears to never having to do anything captaincy wise, the players just know their roles, and what they are doing. he seems to inspire confidence in whatever he does

Sammy: Always under pressure as skipper, as his place in the side, is always being questionned, even though he has a good record with the ball in test cricket. Not sure whether he inspires much confidence, and to be honest the windies in the field, throughout the series, have had hands in pockets and not really looked up for it in the 2nd test.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket