I'm an Oz cricketer, get me to a hospital!

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: I'm an Oz cricketer, get me to a hospital!

Postby greyblazer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Wasim played test cricket after playing in 3 fc games. IIRC Younis played his 1st test at the age of 18. Steyn made his debut at a relatively young age but has been managed well.The problem with Cummins is he played in CL t/20. Instead of that he should have been rested and played a few fc games by now.

If a bowler is good enough I don't mind him playing test cricket provided he is used as a strike bowler and is kept away from playing t/20 cricket and even one-day cricket.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby meninblue » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:03 pm

I don't see a great career for Cummins or any pace bowler who is injured as frequently in the young years. Lower back injury will need him to drop pace. If not then he might get injured once again. Lower back pain is serious. Some Aussie quick like Starc or others have potential of grabbing his place in squad during his absence. In short career is at the mercy of injuries. Even Shane Bond's careers was reduced to 18 tests due to injury. Yes, the onus of fitness is on players but they cannot avoid injuries. They have to reduce matches so that there are less chances of getting injured, however, when a bowler takes good wickets the temptation to play them when in form is too strong.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby greyblazer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:03 pm

It is going to be tough but it looks like they have detected it early. Cummins can comeback and still do well but needs to be managed very well. Can CA do it? I doubt so.

As far as injuries suffered by Bond and some other NZ quicks (Butler) are concerned this is what the knowledgeable Kiwi fan Waikato fc had told me on bbc 606,

"Greyblazer, there is a reason for it - bad coaching and flawed technical 'expertise' offered by a technical adviser who no-longer works for NZC ...basically, he had quick bowlers doing things that bodies aren't designed to do ... it generated a bit of extra pace, but virtually crippled a generation of bowlers in the process"

By all accounts at the start of his career Bond wasn't quick and had even left playing cricket but he came-back in 2000/01. In a short span of time he started to bowl at 90mph but his body just couldn't take it.
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby greyblazer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm

With some difficulty I got the link to that old article on bbc 606. Ah, bbc 606 and some good debates with Waikato and MP :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/html/NF113 ... ad=5953948
2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby meninblue » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:35 am

I would be surprised if Cummins plays even one season in continuity without dropping pace. Sadly pace his weapon and now he's becoming an example for Live and die by the sword .
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby alfie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 am

Hopefully Cummins will be back sooner rather than later. Do feel he'd be better advised to play some Shield games and stay out of the short stuff but I'm concerned about the pressure to use him in these lucrative formats...
Think with a slower , solid build up he could make a Test career , but otherwise he risks becoming Tait two.
alfie

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:44 am

alfie wrote:Hopefully Cummins will be back sooner rather than later. Do feel he'd be better advised to play some Shield games and stay out of the short stuff but I'm concerned about the pressure to use him in these lucrative formats...
Think with a slower , solid build up he could make a Test career , but otherwise he risks becoming Tait two.

I totally agree. His body just isn't up to it, which is a great shame. Luckily we've got the likes of James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Josh Hazelwood and Jackson Bird.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 pm

He's never had the time to build up his body to bowl fast in the long form, I find it very troubling that the modern school of thought seems to be that we must slow him down and rework his action rather than letting him get fit and managing his work load.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 am

James Pattinson is out for the rest of the summer. Sigh.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:He's never had the time to build up his body to bowl fast in the long form, I find it very troubling that the modern school of thought seems to be that we must slow him down and rework his action rather than letting him get fit and managing his work load.

Scariest thing of all was Brett Lee saying he'd give him advice on how to remodel his action.

I agree about Cummins and the long format stuff. Ryan Harris has said that it's harder on the body to bowl in T20 as you have to bowl as different ball each ball, there is no chance to get into any sort of rhythm. He should know, he's played a shitpile of T20 and is injured %50 of the time. Much like Cummins. But I expect the Aus admin to rush Cummins back to short format cricket. It just seems to me they prioritise it.
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved only for Gods and angels to be lookers on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Team(s) Supported: Australian cricket team.

Postby andy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:56 pm

from_the_stands wrote:James Pattinson is out for the rest of the summer. Sigh.

i saw on SSN that it said he had a rib injury..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby greyblazer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm

2010 IPL prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:04 am

greyblazer wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/594530.html

An interesting way of looking at a very real issue. The Kiwis has themselves a pretty decent attack with those three young quicks. I tend to think that the "academy action" seems to have created a similar gap in Oz cricket. We have a legion of promising young quicks aged 25 and under, and not a real lot above that age. In the coming years, I'm expecting to see the likes of Josh Hazelwood, Jackson Bird, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Alistair McDermott and one or two others doing the business for the various Oz cricket teams. Hopefully the coaches will leave their bowling actions along and instead focus on maintaining their fitness.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:11 am

Josh Hazelwood and John Hastings join the walking wounded. :facepalm

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby shankycricket » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 am

Another Aussie fast bowler goes down. :roll:
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket