India the Test Future?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: India the Test Future?

Postby Red Devil » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Red Devil wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:Rishi is having yet another outstanding season in ranji.Having proved for two successive seasons, i think we can consider him at least as replacement of Ishant.Also, being from the same zone, the North zone selector panel would not mind about replacing Ishant with someone from the same zone. ;)

If only we could pick the squad, but i suspect the selectors will not agree with us

still no progress on that front, even though he continues to do well in Ranji
FL Titles
2008 Ban v NZ ODIs India v Aus Tests India v Eng ODIs
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2011 CMS Cricinfo World Cup County Championship Div 2
2012 Pak v Eng Tests SL v Ind ODIs County Championship Div 2 Champs League T20
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2015 CMS Cricinfo ODI World Cup Eng v NZ combined Natwest T20
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2016 Eng v Pak ODIs (aged 6)
2017 Eng v SA Tests Ind v NZ ODIs
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
2019 NZ v Eng T20s Aus Marsh One Day Cup
2020 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI IPL T20
Red Twins Titles
2021 Aus v Ind Tests (aged 7) Ind v Eng T20s
Red Devil

Team(s) Supported: India, Manchester United

Postby Red Devil » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Red Devil wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:will be a big series for Bhuneshar in england. Has looked out of form for a while and has faced critcism with some saying that he can't bowl with the old ball...if selected for the england tour he really has proving people wrong to do..

tbh I'm expecting him to go really well in NZ and Eng, at least in the tests

and he did do pretty well in the Eng tests
FL Titles
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
Red Twins Titles
Red Devil

Postby Red Devil » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:14 pm

So, test future looks like Vijay and Rahul to open. Rahul has a lot to prove still, and you suspect that dhawan would score a shedload of runs in home tests.

Kohli and Rahane both cemented into the middle order now. Rohit probably ahead according to the selectors but I hope Pujara is back in at 3. They should send Raina to play FC cricket in Eng or SA, or even NZ before they consider him for tests. Mandeep singh maybe next in line?

Saha has the gloves for the time being, but I do think they need to give Naman Ojha a go as well - he could be very special as a wicket-keeper batsman, and with our bowlers we really need that batting depth.

In India, it seems like Ashwin and Jadeja / Axar will take 2 of the bowling spots - also gives some batting depth. Outside India, I think we should play ashwin as all-rounder. Bhuvi is a must once he is back to full fitness, and Aaron and Umesh need be given some tough messages about their bowling, and then they need to do some work with coaches etc to help them on accuracy. However, beyond those 3 and then Shami and Ishant, their really don't seem to be many options. On the seam bowling all-rounder front, they really need to send Rishi Dhawan to play abroad or in A squads so that we have an alternative to Bhuvi.

Overall then, it's difficult to be too critical of the selectors because there really don't seem to be too many options at this stage.
FL Titles
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
Red Twins Titles
Red Devil

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:16 pm

To misquote Bill Clinton, "It's the bowling, stupid."
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 pm

I'd completely forget about Dhawan and Raina as Test cricketers. Rohit is slightly trickier. I'll post more on him in detail later.

Rahul needs to be given a good run in the side, Red. I've watched him bat in domestic cricket and trust me, the guy is a real gem. Probably still a bit raw at this stage despite that hundred (which says a lot) but a long stretch in Asia is the right time to invest in him and we'll reap rewards sooner rather than later. There is no point in going back to Dhawan for the tests in Asia. Unlike you Red, I'm not even convinced he'll succeed in India. He has got issues against offspin as much as swing & seam as his struggles vs the likes of Shillingford and Moeen have shown. Moreover, his FC record isn't that great and he is not THAT young either. We'd be far served investing in Rahul.

I also think Kohli needs to make an early decision on how he wants to mould the composition of his bowling attack. If we want to play 5 bowlers overseas, then the planning for it must start now, which would obviously include finding a keeper batsman who can bat at 6 and we must play 5 bowlers in all conditions. Of course, exceptions can be made in certain cases but the planning must be there. You just can't decide all of a sudden that you want to play 5 bowlers and throw in a token "bits and pieces" cricketer like Binny and expect him to work miracles. I think we should start planning for the 5 bowler option now, not that I'm opposed to playing 6 batsmen in certain Tests but the process of finding the right options for the 5th bowler must begin now and we need a keeper who bats at 6.

On the spin department, I don't think there is any readymade 'answer' in the spin department. The home season allows us to experiment. After the buffet vs Bangladesh, we tour Sri Lanka in August, face SA at home before a possible tour of the UAE to face arch rivals Pakistan. As I said above, I would play 5 bowlers. That would obviously mean playing 3 spinners and 2 seamers in subcontinental conditions. I still don't think Ashwin has the skillset to ever be India's No.1 spinner in overseas conditions. I'm not questioning his effort. He just doesn't have the skill. He has improved his control though, which suggests he could be a useful second spinner and a number 7. Considering we don't have any other worthy offspinning option, he becomes an automatic choice when we are playing 3 spinners in the subcontinent. As for the second spinner's slot, I'd like to invest in Axar Patel, who I think is potentially a better version of Jadeja and could compete with Ashwin for the allrounder's slot overseas. As for the 3rd spinners' slot, I'd experiment a bit more and gamble on an attacking, potentially exciting spinner (preferably a leggie) who could potentially be our no.1 spinner overseas. Playing 3 spinners allows us the room to experiment a bit and we have to be prepared to gamble a bit for the long term sake of the Test team overseas rather than just picking the best XI to win at home. If the experiment doesn't work, we can always go back to someone like Jadeja but I'd like to see us at least try this option out. Of course, winning at home is important and we need to pick a team that is still good enough to win at home whilst still having a long term view to developing a good team overseas and I think this would be the best way to make it happen.

I'll touch on the seam department and Rohit later.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:41 pm

shankycricket wrote:I'd completely forget about Dhawan and Raina as Test cricketers.

Shame the selectors didnt in Raina's case, how the hell they could bring him back into the team, and against a pace attack who are quick and can bowl a good short ball.... it was like throwing someone in front of a car
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Or even Dhawan as an opener with his technique.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:51 pm

shankycricket wrote:Or even Dhawan as an opener with his technique.

Dhawan isnt a world beater, but I understand them taking a bit more of a look at him and asking the question "if he knuckles down, can he still be a good opener". The answer is probably no, but I said that about Dave Warner a few years back and now look at him....

Raina we know well, and we know he cant play any form of short ball.... his career was deader than dead, repicking him was an insult to every cricketer currently active in India.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:09 pm

sussexpob wrote:

Dhawan isnt a world beater, but I understand them taking a bit more of a look at him and asking the question "if he knuckles down, can he still be a good opener". The answer is probably no, but I said that about Dave Warner a few years back and now look at him....

Raina we know well, and we know he cant play any form of short ball.... his career was deader than dead, repicking him was an insult to every cricketer currently active in India.

We could say the same about the selection of Gambhir to tour England. It will be interesting to see how this changes as Kohli stamps his authority on the team, he has few ties to the older players who keep popping up for no good reason.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:21 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

We could say the same about the selection of Gambhir to tour England. It will be interesting to see how this changes as Kohli stamps his authority on the team, he has few ties to the older players who keep popping up for no good reason.

I personally understood the repicking Gambhir, after all, he did look like a very good cricketer at one point, then lost confidence when his technique was picked at.

sussexpob

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:45 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

I personally understood the repicking Gambhir, after all, he did look like a very good cricketer at one point, then lost confidence when his technique was picked at.

When he was picked to tour England he had shown no signs of returning to his former ways.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby shankycricket » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:56 am

sussexpob wrote:

But he hasn't shown any signs of 'knuckling down' though and his FC record isn't much to write home about either. Plus he is not that young. The comparison to Warner is a little unfair. He scored a hundred on a green top, carrying his bat in the 4th innings in only his 2nd Test. I've always rated him, in all honesty. His technique and footwork is definitely better than Dhawan's.

Anyways, I hope the Dhawan experiment is over and Rahul is given a good run in the side.

shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:58 am

Making_Splinters wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Yep, the Gambhir selection for England was a total farce, bordering on disgraceful.

shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm

The BCCI's contract list for 2015-16

Grade A (Rs 1 crore): MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli, R Ashwin, Ajinkya Rahane

In: Ajinkya Rahane

Out: Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Suresh Raina

Grade B (Rs 50 lakh): Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Rohit Sharma, M Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara, Mohammed Shami

In: Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Suresh Raina

Out: Ravindra Jadeja, Pragyan Ojha

Grade C (Rs 25 lakh): Amit Mishra, Axar Patel, Stuart Binny, Wriddhiman Saha, Mohit Sharma, Varun Aaron, Karn Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, KL Rahul, Dhawal Kulkarni, Harbhajan Singh, S Aravind

In: Ravindra Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, S Aravind

Out: Pankaj Singh, Vinay Kumar, Manoj Tiwary, Parvez Rasool, Robin Uthappa, Sanju Samson, Kuldeep Yadav
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby dan08 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Bit harsh to drop Jadeja to Grade C.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru