Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:54 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Interesting comments from the ITV news report:
The council's planning development officer Stephen Reed said: "A pre-event operational check, which looked at security, stewarding and the availability of emergency services, was carried out at the Emirates Stadium in the run-up to this fixture.

Does that mean they didn't check the safety of the stands ?!

Surely security check means searching for hidden explosive devices and the clearest sign to detect them must be interference to fittings i.e.loose or insecure seating or flooring. So that should have been rigorously checked.

I'd have thought so, a rigorous check of the flooring should be automatic. I wonder though ( and it's just a guess because I've no idea how these things work ) if the club sort out the actual safety checks of the stands and provide documentation to the council who then do a more general check on the overall security as outlined by the council officer.

Other thing is - presumably safety checks are less rigorous on permanent stands because temporary ones, designed to be put up and taken down with ease , will potentially be less stable. The stand in question is now part of the ground but is still a temporary structure so could an error have been made by treating it as a permanent stand for the inspections?

No doubt we will find out soon enough if the accident was unavoidable or if either the club or council are culpable in some way.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... es-cricket
Lancashire & Gloucestershire carrying out extra checks on their temporary seating. Makes sense for them to do that but Lancashire point out that their temporary stand is " supplied by a different organisation to the one at Durham" and that its usage is " underpinned by a detailed and comprehensive inspection process."
Mention is made that the supplier carries out a detailed inspection review , followed by the club doing an in-house review and then " an independent third-party structural inspection."
If Durham's checking procedure followed those three stages then we should be OK but if not I think we may be in trouble- and I have a feeling we will be!
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Emmerson's match notes for the Sussex game confirm the club inspected the stands and there was also an independent inspection.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:38 am

The Times now reporting that the company(Arena Group) who sold Durham the stand are saying that the club chose not to use its services to maintain it and instead " elected to undertake their own maintenance rather than contract Arena for the maintenance."
"A statement from Grahame Muir, chief executive of Arena Group UK and Europe, said: “Arena sold the system to Durham and installed the seating conforming to all relevant regulations. From that point on, all maintenance was the responsibility of the club."
captaincolly

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:29 am

captaincolly wrote:The Times now reporting that the company(Arena Group) who sold Durham the stand are saying that the club chose not to use its services to maintain it and instead " elected to undertake their own maintenance rather than contract Arena for the maintenance."
"A statement from Grahame Muir, chief executive of Arena Group UK and Europe, said: “Arena sold the system to Durham and installed the seating conforming to all relevant regulations. From that point on, all maintenance was the responsibility of the club."

I guess Arena's contract was too expensive considering the budget Durham now have. Of course who's to say it wouldn't have happened anyway but the more the finger pointing goes on the more I suspect the ECB are going to issue some kind of sanction.

It would be just our luck if next year's Aussie game is pulled because of this.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby captaincolly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:11 am

Aidan11 wrote:
captaincolly wrote:The Times now reporting that the company(Arena Group) who sold Durham the stand are saying that the club chose not to use its services to maintain it and instead " elected to undertake their own maintenance rather than contract Arena for the maintenance."

I guess Arena's contract was too expensive considering the budget Durham now have. Of course who's to say it wouldn't have happened anyway but the more the finger pointing goes on the more I suspect the ECB are going to issue some kind of sanction.

It would be just our luck if next year's Aussie game is pulled because of this.

Yeah, that's the concern. Presumably the club wouldn't be foolish enough to not carry out the required checks but even if that's the case it just looks bad. However if it turns out corners were cut then there can be no excuses!
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Paul Coughlin has rejected a contract extension and is joining Notts. Sir Ian is not happy with the player or FTECB and I fully agree with his comments.
http://www.durhamccc.co.uk/news/coughlin-to-leave-dccc/
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:45 pm

captaincolly wrote:Paul Coughlin has rejected a contract extension and is joining Notts. Sir Ian is not happy with the player or FTECB and I fully agree with his comments.

Excellent comments from Sir Ian - that's the most diplomatic f.o. that I've ever read. I wish Coughlin the same degree of success as Will Gidman enjoyed at Notts. They do possess similar fitness records. Thanks Coggers for preventing Durham awarding a lucrative contract to someone who averages 5 games a season.
Don't understand the comment on director interference.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:49 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Paul Coughlin has rejected a contract extension and is joining Notts. Sir Ian is not happy with the player or FTECB and I fully agree with his comments.

Excellent comments from Sir Ian - that's the most diplomatic f.o. that I've ever read. I wish Coughlin the same degree of success as Will Gidman enjoyed at Notts. They do possess similar fitness records. Thanks Coggers for preventing Durham awarding a lucrative contract to someone who averages 5 games a season.
Don't understand the comment on director interference.

I think he is referring to Mick Newell who is DoC at Notts and also an England selector.
captaincolly

Postby andy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:53 pm

I know it sucks having players leave and let's be honest had you guys not been relegated then most of them would have stayed, but not sure that bitterness is required every single time a player leaves the club...it happens everywhere it happens at Chelmsford too.......some players legtimately leave to further their careers, and can't blame everyone for leaving...some players yeah fair play leave for money etc and then yeah be bitter about it, but harsh to slag off every single player that leaves...

apolgies if this offends or riles people....it probably dosen't sound how i intended it to sound..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby captaincolly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:57 pm

andy wrote:I know it sucks having players leave and let's be honest had you guys not been relegated then most of them would have stayed, but not sure that bitterness is required every single time a player leaves the club...it happens everywhere it happens at Chelmsford too.......some players legtimately leave to further their careers, and can't blame everyone for leaving...some players yeah fair play leave for money etc and then yeah be bitter about it, but harsh to slag off every single player that leaves...

apolgies if this offends or riles people....it probably dosen't sound how i intended it to sound..

You're right, players move on for various reasons and clubs are happy to release people they don't want so the loyalty argument is pretty complex.
I think the issue at Durham is that we have a proven record of developing internationals and those players almost certainly benefited from playing together as a team throughout the age groups. If they start leaving it might not help their development and that'd be bad for English cricket.
What the ECB should have done is looked for ways to preserve the system at Durham as opposed to damaging it.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:23 pm

andy wrote:I know it sucks having players leave and let's be honest had you guys not been relegated then most of them would have stayed, but not sure that bitterness is required every single time a player leaves the club...it happens everywhere it happens at Chelmsford too.......some players legtimately leave to further their careers, and can't blame everyone for leaving...some players yeah fair play leave for money etc and then yeah be bitter about it, but harsh to slag off every single player that leaves...

I don't think every player who leaves has been criticised. As Sir Ian clarifies Coughlin has been salaried for 7 years playing a total of 29 CC games in that period, being nurtured through lengthy injury spells every single season. I'd argue that in such circumstances the player deserves to return the time, patience and expense the club have lavished upon him by showing some loyalty.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 pm

westoelad wrote:

I don't think every player who leaves has been criticised. As Sir Ian clarifies Coughlin has been salaried for 7 years playing a total of 29 CC games in that period, being nurtured through lengthy injury spells every single season. I'd argue that in such circumstances the player deserves to return the time, patience and expense the club have lavished upon him by showing some loyalty.

Yes. He surely should have been one player who owed the club loyalty after we persevered with him for so long.
Interesting comment from David Hopps on cricinfo - our Academy is run at a cost of 230k per year and yet the ECB grant is 100k. It is regularly rated as outstanding and this year 75% of first team players have been from the North East. That figure would increase significantly if we include players from outside the area who have come through the setup.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:54 pm

From legsidelizzy's latest Times article :

Coughlin has now moved to Nottinghamshire and Keaton Jennings could well follow. Contract negotiations with former England seamer Graham Onions are also believed to have run into some difficulties.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm

captaincolly wrote:From legsidelizzy's latest Times article :

Coughlin has now moved to Nottinghamshire and Keaton Jennings could well follow. Contract negotiations with former England seamer Graham Onions are also believed to have run into some difficulties.

What a little ray of sunshine is wor Lizzie.
westoelad

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket