All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 am

Remember we'll have to budget for Wood next season as I can't see him getting another England contact. I'd like to see Latham back and would be happy with a top five of
Latham
Steel
Lees
Clark
Harte.
Hopefully Davies, Jones and S.Steel will push on to be realistic challengers.
Trevaskis appears to be hallmarked by JJ to take Pringle's place.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5866
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:31 am

Durhamfootman wrote:we should be talking to James Pattinson's agent already

No way he'll be available next year with a World Cup and an ashes series.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5866
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Stokes found not guilty.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25117
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:34 pm

captaincolly wrote:Stokes found not guilty.

And joining England squad for 3rd test.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5866
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Stokes found not guilty.

And joining England squad for 3rd test.

It'd be typical of FTECB if he plays the next one and then is banned again after their disciplinary panel gets to work! Sensible thing would be to backdate and ban to the games he has already missed or just draw a line over the whole saga. They don't often act logically though.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25117
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby KingOttis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:13 pm

captaincolly wrote:
KingOttis wrote:Presumably, the fact that we've made this move means that the club know that Colly won't be playing on next season, otherwise I'm guessing we wouldn't have the money?

Injuries seem to be taking an increasing roll so I think you'll be right about Colly returning. I think the Lees signing is a good one but it is a risk so I think we need to bring in at least one more batsman - someone with a proven track record and good current form. Also at least one strike bowler.

I think there must be additional cash to spare because the wave of departures last year must mean we are well below FTECB's salary cap. The big problem might be in finding players willing to come when they could go to a div 1 team.


Absolutely agree about the need for another batsman and a strike bowler - hopefully if we can finish the championship season strongly, plus the positive T20 campaign, and an established player signing for us, it will make us a more positive proposition - both to prospective signings coming in, and current players not wanting to jump ship.
KingOttis
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 am
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC and Newcastle United.

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 pm

KingOttis wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
KingOttis wrote:Presumably, the fact that we've made this move means that the club know that Colly won't be playing on next season, otherwise I'm guessing we wouldn't have the money?

Injuries seem to be taking an increasing roll so I think you'll be right about Colly returning. I think the Lees signing is a good one but it is a risk so I think we need to bring in at least one more batsman - someone with a proven track record and good current form. Also at least one strike bowler.

I think there must be additional cash to spare because the wave of departures last year must mean we are well below FTECB's salary cap. The big problem might be in finding players willing to come when they could go to a div 1 team.


Absolutely agree about the need for another batsman and a strike bowler - hopefully if we can finish the championship season strongly, plus the positive T20 campaign, and an established player signing for us, it will make us a more positive proposition - both to prospective signings coming in, and current players not wanting to jump ship.

Let's hope so! I think next season is the last for the Ireland players because they aren't eligible after that unless one of them sign as overseas. Not 100% certain of that but if it is the case it should maybe help Durham to make budget plans.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25117
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:02 pm

how many Irish lads do we have now?

Poynter and McCarthy, obviously... Chase, is he still around?
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 35426
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 am

Poytner was born in London so presumably has British citizenship whilst presumably MC Carthy would be eligible under residence so I suppose it depends on where they themselves wish to play. Not bothered about Poytner but think MC Carthy has potential
westoelad
 
Posts: 5866
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 am

westoelad wrote:Poytner was born in London so presumably has British citizenship whilst presumably MC Carthy would be eligible under residence so I suppose it depends on where they themselves wish to play. Not bothered about Poytner but think MC Carthy has potential

I agree. McCarthy is the one we could do with keeping- and he was very annoyed at not being selected for they'd first test. I wonder what the difference is financially between an Ireland contract and the average county deal.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25117
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:13 am

Durham tweeted a picture of Axar Patel at the Riverside. Debut on Sunday at Glamorgan?
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25117
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:01 pm

captaincolly wrote:Durham tweeted a picture of Axar Patel at the Riverside. Debut on Sunday at Glamorgan?

Why not v Derbyshire on Friday evening?
westoelad
 
Posts: 5866
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:24 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Durham tweeted a picture of Axar Patel at the Riverside. Debut on Sunday at Glamorgan?

Why not v Derbyshire on Friday evening?

I didn't think of that! He should be available and I wonder if there's a rule about players having to feature in the group stages to be eligible for the knock-out stages? Even if that's not the case he may as well play on Friday.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25117
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:16 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Durham tweeted a picture of Axar Patel at the Riverside. Debut on Sunday at Glamorgan?

Why not v Derbyshire on Friday evening?

I didn't think of that! He should be available and I wonder if there's a rule about players having to feature in the group stages to be eligible for the knock-out stages? Even if that's not the case he may as well play on Friday.

Would I be right in thinking that Chanderpaul's famous stonewalling on final's day was his only T20 appearance that season?
westoelad
 
Posts: 5866
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: All Pretty Vacant, Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:19 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Durham tweeted a picture of Axar Patel at the Riverside. Debut on Sunday at Glamorgan?

Why not v Derbyshire on Friday evening?

I didn't think of that! He should be available and I wonder if there's a rule about players having to feature in the group stages to be eligible for the knock-out stages? Even if that's not the case he may as well play on Friday.

Would I be right in thinking that Chanderpaul's famous stonewalling on final's day was his only T20 appearance that season?

Good point. I can't remember any other appearances so there probably aren't any restrictions.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 25117
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: captaincolly, westoelad and 2 guests