Durham Match Thread 2019

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby westoelad » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Close . Durham280-2
https://www.websports.co.za/livecricket ... &sportid=1
I'm sure the"retired hurts" are simply"retired".
A very productive tour given the strength of the opposition.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 pm

westoelad wrote:Close . Durham280-2
https://www.websports.co.za/livecricket ... &sportid=1
I'm sure the"retired hurts" are simply"retired".
A very productive tour given the strength of the opposition.

Very impressive.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby westoelad » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:01 pm

Interesting response to vitriol from Bumble and Gough.a http://sport.bt.com/news/durham-chief-d ... 4348283607
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:20 pm

westoelad wrote:Interesting response to vitriol from Bumble and Gough.a http://sport.bt.com/news/durham-chief-d ... 4348283607

Lees and Raine wanting to concentrate on their own game makes sense, Lees had an unhappy time as Yorkshire captain and I think it would have been a tough job for an incoming all rounder to take on.
Although if Lees is standing in as captain until Bancroft arrives does it jig suggest he is vice captain and would take over if Bancroft misses more games?
I must admit to being surprised at the controversy, once Bancroft served his ban ( and I thought at the time the punishments to all 3 players were too harsh ) that should have been the end of the matter and he starts with a clean slate.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:10 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Interesting response to vitriol from Bumble and Gough.a http://sport.bt.com/news/durham-chief-d ... 4348283607

Lees and Raine wanting to concentrate on their own game makes sense, Lees had an unhappy time as Yorkshire captain and I think it would have been a tough job for an incoming all rounder to take on.
Although if Lees is standing in as captain until Bancroft arrives does it jig suggest he is vice captain and would take over if Bancroft misses more games?
I must admit to being surprised at the controversy, once Bancroft served his ban ( and I thought at the time the punishments to all 3 players were too harsh ) that should have been the end of the matter and he starts with a clean slate.

Yes, I thought both the outcry and the punishment were O.t.t.-Cricket Australia let more heinous offences go unpunished. Our Aussie Mike Lewis was caught doing similar in a Sheffield Shield final but escaped with a minor punishment and minimum publicity -even Martin Moxon claimed to be unaware of it until I mentioned it to him.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:35 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Yes, I thought both the outcry and the punishment were O.t.t.-Cricket Australia let more heinous offences go unpunished. Our Aussie Mike Lewis was caught doing similar in a Sheffield Shield final but escaped with a minor punishment and minimum publicity -even Martin Moxon claimed to be unaware of it until I mentioned it to him.

I didn't know about Lewis!
Gough's complaints about lack of captaincy experience would probably apply to everyone in the squad apart from Smith!
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:46 pm

Gough is a classical example of empty vessels making the most noise. If you take his argument of not becoming captain because he has no previous experience to its logical conclusion it would mean no one could ever be elected a captain-all captains begin with no experience. The guy is an embarrassing airhead.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:50 pm

westoelad wrote:Gough is a classical example of empty vessels making the most noise. If you take his argument of not becoming captain because he has no previous experience to its logical conclusion it would mean no one could ever be elected a captain-all captains begin with no experience. The guy is an embarrassing airhead.

Yep! That's it.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 am

Tomorrow's University game is getting underway at 10.30am at the request of FTECB. No doubt there's some reason behind that request.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:08 pm

captaincolly wrote:Tomorrow's University game is getting underway at 10.30am at the request of FTECB. No doubt there's some reason behind that request.

Its 1st time that the cricket season has started outside BST.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:08 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Tomorrow's University game is getting underway at 10.30am at the request of FTECB. No doubt there's some reason behind that request.

Its 1st time that the cricket season has started outside BST.

This might be tempting fate but the forecast looks pretty good!
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:19 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO44616
Seems strange to have warm-up/first class match with a fair few of first teamers unavailable!
captaincolly

Postby southwood » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:34 am

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Had to check the date wasn't April 1st when I read this.
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... pointment/

I've never even heard of Chapman! Doubling up as spin and batting coach so he just have multiple skills. :lol:

Steve Chapman replaced Mel Betts as Director of Coaching at South North a year or so ago.Steven Chapman (born 2 October 1971) was an English cricketer. He was a right-handed batsman and a slow-left arm bowler who played for Durham. He was born in Crook, beginning his cricket career as a junior with his hometown club, Crook Town CC.

Chapman appeared in his debut first-class match during the 1998 season, in which he bowled conservatively in spite of his team's poor form, which saw them lose the match by an innings margin. Chapman made two further first-class appearances the following season, though he was released at the end of 1999 after making his final Second XI appearance against Worcestershire Second XI, in which team-mate Quentin Hughes scored a double-century and Chapman himself took match bowling figures of 12 for 48, a County Second XI record.

Having made his first appearance for Northumberland back in 1997, Chapman rejoined the team in 2001 following the end of his first-class career, and played in the Minor Counties Championship and Minor Counties Trophy until 2003. From 2000-2009 he appeared as a club professional at a number of clubs in the North East of England and spending each winter coaching and playing in Melbourne in Australia. Since 2010 he has played back at his hometown club Crook Town.
See also
https://www.southnorth.co.uk/mediacentr ... -coaching/
southwood

Postby captaincolly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:48 pm

southwood wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Had to check the date wasn't April 1st when I read this.
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... pointment/

I've never even heard of Chapman! Doubling up as spin and batting coach so he just have multiple skills. :lol:

Steve Chapman replaced Mel Betts as Director of Coaching at South North a year or so ago.Steven Chapman (born 2 October 1971) was an English cricketer. He was a right-handed batsman and a slow-left arm bowler who played for Durham. He was born in Crook, beginning his cricket career as a junior with his hometown club, Crook Town CC.

Chapman appeared in his debut first-class match during the 1998 season, in which he bowled conservatively in spite of his team's poor form, which saw them lose the match by an innings margin. Chapman made two further first-class appearances the following season, though he was released at the end of 1999 after making his final Second XI appearance against Worcestershire Second XI, in which team-mate Quentin Hughes scored a double-century and Chapman himself took match bowling figures of 12 for 48, a County Second XI record.

Having made his first appearance for Northumberland back in 1997, Chapman rejoined the team in 2001 following the end of his first-class career, and played in the Minor Counties Championship and Minor Counties Trophy until 2003. From 2000-2009 he appeared as a club professional at a number of clubs in the North East of England and spending each winter coaching and playing in Melbourne in Australia. Since 2010 he has played back at his hometown club Crook Town.
See also
https://www.southnorth.co.uk/mediacentr ... -coaching/

Thanks!
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Will Smith has taken his chance today, a century for him and 74 for Lees. Not much else but it's by no means the first choice lineup. Probably defeats the purpose of the game but never mind!
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket