Hampshire 2019 Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Hampshire 2019 Thread

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 am

Tbh dfm we were fortunate to turn it around at the death, on most occasions we would have lost the game.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Fri May 03, 2019 8:15 am

st_brendy wrote:Such a weird group. We've won 6 out of 7, we have one foot in a home SF - and yet we could potentially still be knocked out, by finishing last in a four-way tie for first place.

Yeah Middx beating Somerset convincingly put a spanner in the works in terms of being qualified now, but it did increase our chances of finishing first.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Fri May 03, 2019 1:12 pm

Last year we won the group with five wins and one no result. This year six wins might not even be qualification.

Fortunately though both Gloucs and Glamorgan are still in the race for 3rd place, so you would hope that they'll present Middlesex and Sussex with a challenge. (Somerset's other match is home to Surrey, so if they beat us then they almost certainly join us on 12.)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Fri May 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Despite signing a red-ball only contract for this season, Fidel somehow finds himself in the 13 man squad for Sunday (in place of Wheal).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun May 05, 2019 1:52 pm

First half of our de-facto QF has gone very well. Thanks largely to a number of awful shots by Somerset batsmen.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun May 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Strolling to first place.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Sun May 05, 2019 4:28 pm

That's the sort of thrashing which we were on course to hand out to Sussex, before Wiese got going.

Fantastic performance.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Tue May 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Bayliss confirms that Dawson could still make the WC.

We'll barely be able to field 11 players at this rate.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Tue May 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Home to Middlesex or Lancs

Our SF will be the game on Sky (as I suspected, given that the Sky cameras will already be there from the ODI the day before).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Thu May 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Northeast has said what I suggested the other day - that if Vince isn't selected on Saturday, we're hopeful the ECB will allow him to play for us on Sunday. (Even more so after yesterday was washed out). So it could come down to Roy's fitness.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sat May 11, 2019 9:09 pm

We're still waiting for ECB clearance over Vince (officially), but assuming he gets it then it's a straight fight between Fidel and Taylor for one place tomorrow.

Personally I think we'd be mad to go with Fidel, based on the ODI today. Not only will his economy be through the roof, but we could do with as much batting (ie Taylor) as possible.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sat May 11, 2019 9:18 pm

st_brendy wrote:We're still waiting for ECB clearance over Vince (officially), but assuming he gets it then it's a straight fight between Fidel and Taylor for one place tomorrow.

Personally I think we'd be mad to go with Fidel, based on the ODI today. Not only will his economy be through the roof, but we could do with as much batting (ie Taylor) as possible.

And there now is the official confirmation.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun May 12, 2019 8:01 pm

We would have lost without him, hope he's available for the final.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby captaincolly » Sun May 12, 2019 8:09 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:We would have lost without him, hope he's available for the final.

Sky commentators mentioned that the final is on the same day England are playing a World Cup warmup match and as Vince is unlikely to play in that game it would be sensible to let him play for Hampshire. If would be the logical decision - far better off for him to be playing a match rather than carrying the drinks.
Well played today!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby st_brendy » Mon May 13, 2019 5:53 pm

captaincolly wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:We would have lost without him, hope he's available for the final.

Sky commentators mentioned that the final is on the same day England are playing a World Cup warmup match and as Vince is unlikely to play in that game it would be sensible to let him play for Hampshire. If would be the logical decision - far better off for him to be playing a match rather than carrying the drinks.
Well played today!

The difference with the final though, compared to the weekend just gone, is that England would have to make the call to release Vince before the ODI.

It was easy for the SF yesterday. England played the day before, and the two games were on the same ground. Whereas for the final, because England play on the same day - and at a different ground (ironically it's the Rose Bowl again that England play) - they would need to make the call the day before. Even if their intention is for Vince not to make the final XI, how willing will they be to make the call to release him the day before? What if, say, Bairstow twists his ankle an hour before the match starts?

I'm hopeful that Vince will be available. But I'm not counting my chickens. (Without Markram already though, we'd have little chance vs Somerset without Vince too.)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket