County Cricket 2017 season

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: County Cricket 2017 season

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 pm

A little collapse by Somerset, with the spinners taking all the wickets.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Only one batting point for Somerset. In theory, Middlesex will be safe if Somerset fail to take all nine wickets, or Middlesex make 300. However the former will surely only happen if Middlesex were to declare, and that would risk a points deduction for them - whilst the latter looks unlikely on a Taunton wicket.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:37 pm

st_brendy wrote:Only one batting point for Somerset. In theory, Middlesex will be safe if Somerset fail to take all nine wickets, or Middlesex make 300. However the former will surely only happen if Middlesex were to declare, and that would risk a points deduction for them - whilst the latter looks unlikely on a Taunton wicket.

Actually, no. Middlesex only need 250, don't they. Interesting...
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby andy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:38 pm

somserset have had a shocking session there!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:39 pm

I think it also means that Yorkshire are safe.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:43 pm

st_brendy wrote:I think it also means that Yorkshire are safe.

Yep - Somerset can at best match Yorkshire's 147 if they win, but Yorkshire have fewest defeats in a potential tie breaker.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm

5-3 already. This is why I made Middlesex my favourites to go down, despite winning last week. Somerset have opened the bowling with Jack Leach, on day one, by heaven sake.

(Of course we still need to ensure that we don't lose to Warks!)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:13 pm

But will Somerset gets a points deduction like we did (despite our game finishing a draw, and Notts have no issues with the pitch!)? No, of course they wont.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:14 pm

7-fer for Patel. let's see what Leach gets.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:17 pm

st_brendy wrote:But will Somerset gets a points deduction like we did (despite our game finishing a draw, and Notts have no issues with the pitch!)? No, of course they wont.

They're living dangerously. Certainly pushing home advantage to the limits and arguably beyond.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby westoelad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:21 pm

captaincolly wrote:
st_brendy wrote:But will Somerset gets a points deduction like we did (despite our game finishing a draw, and Notts have no issues with the pitch!)? No, of course they wont.

They're living dangerously. Certainly pushing home advantage to the limits and arguably beyond.

Yes but they've being doing it for over a year now without sanction.
westoelad

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:23 pm

It would be interesting if Middlesex were, say, 80-8 and asked the umpires if a declaration at that point would be classed as an extraordinary declaration (and hence a likely points deduction).

A bit like Essex against us last week (albeit different circumstances), you could argue that Middlesex's best chances from winning in that position would be to FO. And declaring at that point would just about allow such a FO to happen, if Somerset so wished. Would the umpires accept that argument, and allow the declaration (thus securing Middlesex's survival), or dismiss the argument.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:24 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Yes but they've being doing it for over a year now without sanction.

Yep. And even Maynard admitted the pitch for the Durham game last year was not acceptable.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

st_brendy wrote:It would be interesting if Middlesex were, say, 80-8 and asked the umpires if a declaration at that point would be classed as an extraordinary declaration (and hence a likely points deduction).

A bit like Essex against us last week (albeit different circumstances), you could argue that Middlesex's best chances from winning in that position would be to FO. And declaring at that point would just about allow such a FO to happen, if Somerset so wished. Would the umpires accept that argument, and allow the declaration (thus securing Middlesex's survival), or dismiss the argument.

That would be very interesting. I think in those circumstances the umpires would have to seek advice from the ECB before making a decision.
captaincolly

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:30 pm

captaincolly wrote:
st_brendy wrote:It would be interesting if Middlesex were, say, 80-8 and asked the umpires if a declaration at that point would be classed as an extraordinary declaration (and hence a likely points deduction).

That would be very interesting. I think in those circumstances the umpires would have to seek advice from the ECB before making a decision.

Just imagine the reaction of Somerset fans if it was allowed. Last season they felt that Middlesex stole the title from them, now they steal survival from them.

(Personally I wouldn't feel sorry for them. Whilst I'm not against utilising home advantage, I'm not going to have any sympathy when it ultimately doesn't get you what you want)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket