Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby sussexpob » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:13 pm

westoelad wrote: Nash will be rightly aggrieved over the illogical decision to make Glamorgan in preference to Somerset for the SW venue for T20 franchise

I think thats personally a tough one. Obviously Somerset have the current success for T20, but I understand that (a) geographically and (b) population wise, it makes perfect sense to have a ground within a few 45 mins of two massive places like Bristol and Cardiff, then in the underpopulated farm land of cider making country. I guess the idea was that capacity wise, Cardiff had far more potential, which I think is undeniable. Its more a case of potentiial v actuality, but I can see why they chose the latter.

What obviously doesnt make it easier is if the decision was made by someone who had a vested interest in it.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:07 pm

I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby westoelad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:53 pm

sussexpob wrote:
westoelad wrote: Nash will be rightly aggrieved over the illogical decision to make Glamorgan in preference to Somerset for the SW venue for T20 franchise

I think thats personally a tough one. Obviously Somerset have the current success for T20, but I understand that (a) geographically and (b) population wise, it makes perfect sense to have a ground within a few 45 mins of two massive places like Bristol and Cardiff, then in the underpopulated farm land of cider making country. I guess the idea was that capacity wise, Cardiff had far more potential, which I think is undeniable. Its more a case of potentiial v actuality, but I can see why they chose the latter.

What obviously doesnt make it easier is if the decision was made by someone who had a vested interest in it.

If it was simply a case of potential v actual there would be a case for potential if ECB had carried out some market research to see if that potential existed. I'm pretty certain that there weren't hoards of Bristolians traveling 40+ miles to the Swalec when Gloucs played there in domestic T20. Reality suggests that Franchise T20 will be no better than the current domestic T20 given that centrally contracted players won't be available, India, for one, have indicated that they won't issue NOCs and it will clash with the W.Indian equivalent. 2 T20s in 1 season will result in overkill with a real danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
westoelad

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Fair point regarding the potential to Cardiff as a City Based T20 venue. Glamorgan could not even fill the Swalec for a Blast Quarter-Final in 2016.

In terms of a City venue in the South-West, I would have thought Bristol is a logical venue. Not only there are nearby cities/towns of Taunton, Gloucester, Bath, Cheltenham, Swindon within 45 miles but the minor cricket county of Wiltshire has a stake in a major domestic team.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby westoelad » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 am

As would be expected Mr Dobell's article is even more revealing. Calls for an independent inquiry and veto on Yorkshire committee. The 10 non-test hosting counties need to stand up and be counted.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... y-payments
westoelad

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:43 am

westoelad wrote:As would be expected Mr Dobell's article is even more revealing. Calls for an independent inquiry and veto on Yorkshire committee. The 10 non-test hosting counties need to stand up and be counted.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... y-payments

Resign from the board, then put his name forward to be next ECB chairman.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:36 pm

westoelad wrote: If it was simply a case of potential v actual there would be a case for potential if ECB had carried out some market research to see if that potential existed. I'm pretty certain that there weren't hoards of Bristolians traveling 40+ miles to the Swalec when Gloucs played there in domestic T20. Reality suggests that Franchise T20 will be no better than the current domestic T20 given that centrally contracted players won't be available, India, for one, have indicated that they won't issue NOCs and it will clash with the W.Indian equivalent. 2 T20s in 1 season will result in overkill with a real danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

I think you are missing the point somewhat, Westo. The ECB are in the clouds dreaming that this tournament becomes EPL sized, and in ten years they will be playing to 70,000 people on a July night in newly built mega stadiums, with 300 million Chinese people clung to their tvs at 4am. It seems everything is not geared on what current trends and reality are showing, they believe this is a new product, that the rebranding will take it outside of its current box. All I am saying is, if they made the whole business plan based on those types of assumptions, it doesnt take much to see why Cardiff was favoured. Somerset and a few other counties have managed to do well, but it does seem questionable how much growth is there. And thats what they want. If there is no increase in net ticket sales to current, then this switch will be seen as a dramatic disaster. They have to make this work, and make it work very well.

Having said that, its also arguable that when you put something like this in an area with no competition, it becomes a main draw. Just look at the NFL, where the small Wisconsin town of Green Bay fills a stadium of 80,000 people literally every time they play. They are fanatical in the local area because its literally their only cultural output. Seems Somerset have that to a certain extent with their ticket sales at current.

But still, I think AP is right. Id slapped it in Bristol..... but obviously Cardiff was chosen because the county ground in Horfield is tiny.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby westoelad » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:46 pm

I wouldn't mind in the slightest if I believed that ECB were acting in an altruistic manner even if it were unrealistically optimistic. The population of Cardiff and its environs is irrelevant really- you can take a horse to the water....
they're rugby fanatics. Capacity of Bristol ground incidentally is 17500 compared to 15500 at Cardiff. Taunton is 7500 with no space for development, unless upwards.
westoelad

Postby andy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Notts sign Ross Taylor as overseas for the first half of the season
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby andy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Kent have signed Heino Kuhn as a Kolpak
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby westoelad » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 pm

andy wrote:Notts sign Ross Taylor as overseas for the first half of the season

Good signing but why is he not playing IPL?
westoelad

Postby dan08 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 am

westoelad wrote:
andy wrote:Notts sign Ross Taylor as overseas for the first half of the season

Good signing but why is he not playing IPL?

He's been pretty average for NZ in recent years up until this current series so I guess no IPL team is interested.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 am

andy wrote:Kent have signed Heino Kuhn as a Kolpak

Decent replacement for Sam Northeast, shrewd pick up by Kent.

Alviro Patterson

Postby westoelad » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:42 am

Sounds as if it's another shambles with the potential to get very serious. Counties who have budgeted in expectation of getting the cash on one side and the rest on the other.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket