Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:56 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Sports teams' names are always cringeworthy apart from the ones that have some historic thread, typically the old seventies rugby league names aren't too bad, that point to the works teams that spawned them. Names that evoke climate extremes or combat are better ignored. And usually are- T20 names are normally tactfully overlooked.

I am not overtly fond of these Franchise names in sports, but at least in the NFL for instance the vast majority of teams tap into a regional identity for their name. Even in cricket, something like "Kent Spitfires" at least provides some link, some reasoning. Spitting out cliche nonsense like "braves", "invincibles" and "rockets" makes the whole thing sound like it is a cricket version of Roy of the Rovers.

If they were looking to engage people who need convincing towards the brand and get them involved, then the branding couldnt have been worse. Its atrocious. It looks cheap, nasty and thoughtless. The kits are terrible. Orange and red random squares? Two shades of green with a navy blue, and a quarter of the shirt randomly chequered? One is lion printed in toxic yellow and pink if memory serves. They look horrendous. All the club badges are the same colour of monotone black and white. There is no character at all. Its like an 8 year old produced it all as part of a school project.

And why not just name the places after the venue towns? They for instance changed Leeds to Northern at the last minute, but do people in the "north" like our Durham boys get attached to a team 80 miles away just because its called "north"? Or is it more likely you call it Leeds team, in a town of nearly a million odd people, and get better interest from that area? Because my guess is, the success of the franchise is going to be largely based on people next to the stadium, I doubt many people are driving down to Leeds from Newcastle for an evening match in the week.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby westoelad » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:08 pm

sussexpob wrote:
westoelad wrote:The most disastrous part of the evening came when the "biggest" stars used in the promotion, Gayle, Malinga deCock and Rabada didn't attract bids. So we have a total of 22 overseas players participating, many of whom, because of International commitments, will only be available for part of the tournament. There'll be far more overseas players involved in the domestic T20.

The stupidity of having more marquee players than slots, then having those marquee players unavailable for selection later if they didnt meet their auction reserve, was an idea only the ECB could come up with.

Regardless of his ability at his age, Chris Gayle is worth 10 times his wage in ticket sales.... to not have him there is a major flaw. He is the kind of person which will get people driving 200 miles round trip in anticipation of it raining cricket balls.

I suppose you have to put in that rider otherwise all players would apply at the £125k level. Simplest scenario is surely to simply apply and leave it to the bidder as to at which band he wishes to bid for that player.
westoelad

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:08 pm

sussexpob wrote:
And why not just name the places after the venue towns? They for instance changed Leeds to Northern at the last minute, but do people in the "north" like our Durham boys get attached to a team 80 miles away just because its called "north"? Or is it more likely you call it Leeds team, in a town of nearly a million odd people, and get better interest from that area? Because my guess is, the success of the franchise is going to be largely based on people next to the stadium, I doubt many people are driving down to Leeds from Newcastle for an evening match in the week.

Because Leeds is a toxic name when it comes to sport and would alienate almost 90% of the Northern population. Also from a club cricket perspective, there is no Leeds cricket league and Leeds based teams play in a variety of leagues across the West Riding.

Headingley is reasonably accessible by most of Yorkshire, providing that matches are played no later than 6.30pm.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 pm

sussexpob wrote: do people in the "north" like our Durham boys get attached to a team 80 miles away just because its called "north"?

not me. It's just Yorkshire, isn't it. Durham's derby rival.

sort of like asking Sunderland supporters to support a football franchise called 'Northern AFC' who are based in Newcastle and play at SJP
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby westoelad » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Because Leeds is a toxic name when it comes to sport and would alienate almost 90% of the Northern population. Also from a club cricket perspective, there is no Leeds cricket league and Leeds based teams play in a variety of leagues across the West Riding.

Headingley is reasonably accessible by most of Yorkshire, providing that matches are played no later than 6.30pm.

Depends how you define "reasonably accessible", particularly for an evening game and for children for whom its designed to attract. Pretty parochial are the Yorkies, nothing wrong with that, it's commendable. Doubt it will even attract those for whom it's reasonably accessible given that there are only 3 locals in the squad.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Because Leeds is a toxic name when it comes to sport and would alienate almost 90% of the Northern population.

I think Leeds is the biggest, or one of the very biggest, cities in the world (and certainly miles away in the UK) with only one professional football side. Which kind of shows you that the brand name locally, in the areas that will provide most ticket sale opportunities, are pretty uniquely loyal to the brand/name of their city.

Also from a club cricket perspective, there is no Leeds cricket league and Leeds based teams play in a variety of leagues across the West Riding

Well teams from Leeds also dont play in a generic "Northern Division" playing teams in Berwick Upon Tweed, and I never played in the "Generic South Coast" Club division either.... im struggling to see the relevance of this point.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Headingley is reasonably accessible by most of Yorkshire

I know most people from Yorkshire dont acknowledge the wider world, but the North of England is more than just Yorkshire,

It takes as long on a train (actually 1 minute shorter, accordingly to google) to get from Leeds to London on the exact same train (NE Mainline) than it does to the most Northern English station on the same line. So, for people in parts of the North, it would be as accessible as Yorkshire playing at Lords.

And judging on how many times you have moaned about sport being concentrated in London, Im not sure you would like to travel over 2 hours on a train to go watch a game.

But who needs County Durham for the good of cricket, anyhow!! Its not like they keep producing any international caps, is it. Game is dead up there.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:47 pm

Obviously the hundred was always going to sell out to the usual test ground mafia, but wouldnt it make a lot of sense to have played games in all grounds in the catchment area? The "North" does have two grounds that have scheduled international games in recent years? Wouldnt it have made sense to make it as inclusive and accessible as possible?

sussexpob

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:07 am

sussexpob wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:Because Leeds is a toxic name when it comes to sport and would alienate almost 90% of the Northern population.

I think Leeds is the biggest, or one of the very biggest, cities in the world (and certainly miles away in the UK) with only one professional football side. Which kind of shows you that the brand name locally, in the areas that will provide most ticket sale opportunities, are pretty uniquely loyal to the brand/name of their city.

Also from a club cricket perspective, there is no Leeds cricket league and Leeds based teams play in a variety of leagues across the West Riding

Well teams from Leeds also dont play in a generic "Northern Division" playing teams in Berwick Upon Tweed, and I never played in the "Generic South Coast" Club division either.... im struggling to see the relevance of this point.

Ironic to say that when you used the above football analogy.....

The city of Bradford has two cricket leagues, York has a cricket league, the towns of Halifax, Huddersfield and Pontefract have their own cricket league. Leeds based teams either play in Bradford League, Dales Council, Wetherby or Aire Wharfe league.

Go to Headingley on a Blast night and you will see kids wearing club cricket gear spanning across the Broad Acres. The previous Yorkshire chairman was against having a Leeds moniker for The Hundred because he knows Leeds as a brand has limited appeal compaed to Yorkshire (and that is despite being a Leeds man and Leeds United/Rhinos fan)
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:13 am

sussexpob wrote:
Headingley is reasonably accessible by most of Yorkshire

I know most people from Yorkshire dont acknowledge the wider world, but the North of England is more than just Yorkshire,

It takes as long on a train (actually 1 minute shorter, accordingly to google) to get from Leeds to London on the exact same train (NE Mainline) than it does to the most Northern English station on the same line. So, for people in parts of the North, it would be as accessible as Yorkshire playing at Lords.

And judging on how many times you have moaned about sport being concentrated in London, Im not sure you would like to travel over 2 hours on a train to go watch a game.

But who needs County Durham for the good of cricket, anyhow!! Its not like they keep producing any international caps, is it. Game is dead up there.

and you wanted the Headingley based 100 outfit to be named Leeds...

Alviro Patterson

Postby westoelad » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Matt Coles released by Essex-what an absolute waste of talent.
westoelad

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 am

westoelad wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:

Depends how you define "reasonably accessible", particularly for an evening game and for children for whom its designed to attract. Pretty parochial are the Yorkies, nothing wrong with that, it's commendable. Doubt it will even attract those for whom it's reasonably accessible given that there are only 3 locals in the squad.

Much of the Yorkshire population can get to Headingley within 1hr, though 7pm starts in the T20 Blast are problematic for those who go by public transport. Ideally matches need to be completed before 9pm so folk have adequate time to get into Leeds and catch the main journey back home.

I've seen primary school children supporting Yorkshire at Durham in the T20 Blast, late nights in the summer holidays won't be a major issue.

Traditional cricket fans will be against The Hundred, but since Yorkshire had floodlights installed they have attracted more families to Blast matches and the fabric of support has changed. Red ball purists still think the Western Terrace is full of lager louts for Twenty20 matches, but lubricated spectators are in single figures. The last match against Northants I sat behind a mother who brought a boy and two girls to the game, Strauss target audience does actually exist.

Even though I have huge reservations about The Hundred and how those at the ECB have gone about it, i'll probably go to a game if it is sensibly priced. Mainly because Gale is still Yorkshire Head Coach and I can't see success at Headingley under his uninspiring leadership.

For what it's worth I think Chester-Le-Street should also host Hundred matches, mainly because of the potential fanbase in Cumbria and Scotland. I would go one further and host a game in Edinburgh, even if it is an exhibition against Scotland.

Alviro Patterson

Postby sussexpob » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 am

AP,

You seem to keep mentioning Yorkshire exclusively, but thats missing the point. This team will not be a Yorkshire only team, and the vague geographical boundary it has along with the chosen venue (a) doesnt really motivate locals to turn up and (b) excludes a huge swath of people in the catchment area who are faced with 3 hour plus travels to get to games. I am merely saying it would have been better to focus the franchise on the local city, at least that way you motivate the people in one of the biggest cities in Europe (and its satellite towns) to go, and regardless of your personal opinion of the "Leeds brand v Yorkshire" (because it was never an option), the brand itself has been very successful and has had a very loyal fan base for years.

As an example of how dangerous it was to pretty much ignore the NE, the Yorkshire v Durham game at Headingley this year attracted 7,000 people.... the return fixture in Durham exceeded 9,000. So its not like we can sit here and say Durham fans are an inferior bunch of ticket buyers. But those people are pretty much totally excluded from the side. Their home matches are the equivalent to away ones.

I think it was very silly to lump in NE with Yorkshire. The NE has a pretty unique place in world sport when you look at popular ratios to attendances of local sport. Newcastle averages a few hundred less than the current Champions League winners in football, and thats at a time the fans are upset with the owner. Sunderland got a shade under Leeds in football attendances last year, in their worst place finish in decades with the club in absolute disarray, while Leeds were having their best season in 10-15 years and were top of the legaue for 75 percent of the season. Somewhere like Middlesbrough (technically Yorkshire, but its right up with the others geographically) had attendances last year which were up to 1 in 3 of every single person in the town attending. These areas are places where people are loyal to sport, and pay money to go to see it.

I do whole heartily agree that its shambolic no matches were scheduled across the area. CLS should have at the very least one game. This imo is a huge fail, and one that should be replicated everywhere. Sussex sold out every single blast match last year, and with temporary stands could get into 5 figures. Why are all games in Hampshire? Its ridiculous.Hampshire themselves only sold 5,000 tickets for the Sussex game, and while the attendances peaked at 7-8,000, there seems little justification for it having exclusive reign in holding matches when other teams around it are selling out.

sussexpob

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:43 pm

sussexpob wrote:AP,

You seem to keep mentioning Yorkshire exclusively, but thats missing the point. This team will not be a Yorkshire only team, and the vague geographical boundary it has along with the chosen venue (a) doesnt really motivate locals to turn up and (b) excludes a huge swath of people in the catchment area who are faced with 3 hour plus travels to get to games. I am merely saying it would have been better to focus the franchise on the local city, at least that way you motivate the people in one of the biggest cities in Europe (and its satellite towns) to go, and regardless of your personal opinion of the "Leeds brand v Yorkshire" (because it was never an option), the brand itself has been very successful and has had a very loyal fan base for years.

As an example of how dangerous it was to pretty much ignore the NE, the Yorkshire v Durham game at Headingley this year attracted 7,000 people.... the return fixture in Durham exceeded 9,000. So its not like we can sit here and say Durham fans are an inferior bunch of ticket buyers. But those people are pretty much totally excluded from the side. Their home matches are the equivalent to away ones.

I think it was very silly to lump in NE with Yorkshire. The NE has a pretty unique place in world sport when you look at popular ratios to attendances of local sport. Newcastle averages a few hundred less than the current Champions League winners in football, and thats at a time the fans are upset with the owner. Sunderland got a shade under Leeds in football attendances last year, in their worst place finish in decades with the club in absolute disarray, while Leeds were having their best season in 10-15 years and were top of the legaue for 75 percent of the season. Somewhere like Middlesbrough (technically Yorkshire, but its right up with the others geographically) had attendances last year which were up to 1 in 3 of every single person in the town attending. These areas are places where people are loyal to sport, and pay money to go to see it.

I do whole heartily agree that its shambolic no matches were scheduled across the area. CLS should have at the very least one game. This imo is a huge fail, and one that should be replicated everywhere. Sussex sold out every single blast match last year, and with temporary stands could get into 5 figures. Why are all games in Hampshire? Its ridiculous.Hampshire themselves only sold 5,000 tickets for the Sussex game, and while the attendances peaked at 7-8,000, there seems little justification for it having exclusive reign in holding matches when other teams around it are selling out.

My reference to Yorkshire is based on the regions population (bigger than Scotland) and how Headingley is almost central to the county. It is clear that those in the ECB chose Headingley as Northern Superchargers HQ based on this.

Leeds might be growing as a city, but when it comes to sport the name "Yorkshire" holds bigger value. Leeds based Netball and Rugby Union sides have changed their moniker to Yorkshire in order to increase their fanbase, whilst cycling events have Yorkshire as part of their title/sub title. Name a new sporting entity as Leeds and it will be always be associated by that football club, not an image that the ECB want.

On a side note, the Yorkshire v Durham Blast match attracted zero fans because it got called off to rain two hours before it started. The fixture has attracted crowds of 9,000-10,000 in more recent editions.

Alviro Patterson

Postby westoelad » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:20 pm

@lancsccactiongroup
We have seen the draft schedule for next seasons fixtures & it is grim. The 16 slots allocated for the 14 Championship matches have 7 to be completed by the 25th May & 6 from the 23rd August to 30th Sept. Absolutely pathetic from the
@ecb
Surprise,surprise.
westoelad

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket