Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Adi wrote:So many county matches not starting on Day 1. Even toss was not possible. Can't they schedule domestic competition before or after the rainy season. :hmmm

of course not. if there was any real likelihood of good weather the ECB would schedule T20 for it
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 32468
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Adi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:36 am

Dr Cricket wrote:
Adi wrote:So many county matches not starting on Day 1. Even toss was not possible. Can't they schedule domestic competition before or after the rainy season. :hmmm


TBH uk weather is so unpredictable could be hot in may, but a washout in june, july or even august.

next week uk should be hot, going to be hotter than greece.
think london might reach 25 degrees next week.



Like we have in India - monsoon from June - Sept accompanied by pre monsoon rains in some states. It's easy to schedule Ranji trophy. Hardly one match gets cancelled. I don't even think even 1 Ranji match got cancelled whole Ranji season (Late 2017 and early 2018) . I mean something like that ECB also has to schedule so that nothing can get cancelled. Not even four months apart from rainy season. Okay understood, you say it is unpredictable weather but monsoon season for all 12 months ? Then when winter, summer will come if all 12 months its raining :?

Edit:
2 matches abandoned in Ranji Trophy 2017, both at Hyderabad.Out of 91 matches.
Jonty: The scientist of fielding.

2010 World 20/20
2010 England Vs Australia ODI
2010 Pakistan Vs Australia Tests
2010 Ashes
2011 England Vs Australia ODI
2011 England Vs SriLanka ODI
2011 Friends Life Twenty20
2011 England Vs India ODI
2012 New Zealand Vs South Africa ODI
2012 England Vs South Africa T20
2012 CMS Cricinfo World T20
2013 Caribbean T20
2013 Bangladesh Premier League T20
2013 WI Vs ZIM ODI's + Tests (Combo)
2013 IPL
2013 Yorkshire Bank Pro40
2015 ICC World Cup
2015 Matador Cup
2015 India Vs South Africa Tests
2015 Bangladesh Premier League T20
2016 India Vs Australia ODI's and T20's (Combo)
2016 England Vs South Africa ODI
2016 India Vs West Indies Tests
2016 India Vs NewZealand Tests
2016 West Indies Vs Pakistan Tests
2016 Australia Vs Pakistan Tests
2016-2017 Big Bash (Men)
2017 SriLanka Vs Australia T20
2017 South Africa Vs New Zealand ODI
2017 Aus Vs India Tests
2017 WI Vs Pakistan 4 T20
2017 IND Vs NZ T20
User avatar
Adi
 
Posts: 21664
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby dan08 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Adi wrote:
Dr Cricket wrote:
Adi wrote:So many county matches not starting on Day 1. Even toss was not possible. Can't they schedule domestic competition before or after the rainy season. :hmmm


TBH uk weather is so unpredictable could be hot in may, but a washout in june, july or even august.

next week uk should be hot, going to be hotter than greece.
think london might reach 25 degrees next week.



Like we have in India - monsoon from June - Sept accompanied by pre monsoon rains in some states. It's easy to schedule Ranji trophy. Hardly one match gets cancelled. I don't even think even 1 Ranji match got cancelled whole Ranji season (Late 2017 and early 2018) . I mean something like that ECB also has to schedule so that nothing can get cancelled. Not even four months apart from rainy season. Okay understood, you say it is unpredictable weather but monsoon season for all 12 months ? Then when winter, summer will come if all 12 months its raining :?

Edit:
2 matches abandoned in Ranji Trophy 2017, both at Hyderabad.Out of 91 matches.


Can get unpredictable weather at any time of year in UK. 6 months of the year (October to March) are too cold/rainy for cricket. April isn't much better. And can still get lots of rain in summer months too although generally, the weather is better.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
User avatar
dan08
 
Posts: 19251
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: London
Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am

I've got two ways to jump on this 100 ball franchise proposal. One is to watch it in the hope that cricket (better cricket) on fta grows from this tiny, ill formed seed.

The other is to ignore it on the basis that it is more likely another staging post on the march to the death of the sport and we should be indicating where it is better for the game to grow.

Surprisingly, what it does is by comparison, is it makes the Big Blast (and the IPL/Bash) look like venerable bastions of authenticity whose gravitas and capacity to bestow honour on the brows of mere mortals challenge the FA Cup and the Ashes and The Open. The ECB seem to be locked into a parabola that will one day soon leave cricket with the capacity for passion, sense of occasion and aura of tradition of a jumble sale.

But in the short term, just the idea diminishes yet another fraction of my dwindling regard for the sport.
2012-13 SL vs NZ combined fantasy guru

I always say that everybody's right.
User avatar
Arthur Crabtree
 
Posts: 56396
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:52 pm
Location: Nottingham
Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire/New England.

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 pm

it is either encouraging that it is to be shown on FTA, perhaps an acknowledgement that PPV is killing the game, or depressing that PPV perhaps doesn't want to pay big bucks for an unknown quantity

I imagine that it is being tested on FTA to see if it flies, before selling it to the highest PPV bidder if it does.

I assume that FTA doesn't mean BBC... it rarely does
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 32468
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Adi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:30 am

dan08 wrote:
Adi wrote:
Dr Cricket wrote:
Adi wrote:So many county matches not starting on Day 1. Even toss was not possible. Can't they schedule domestic competition before or after the rainy season. :hmmm


TBH uk weather is so unpredictable could be hot in may, but a washout in june, july or even august.

next week uk should be hot, going to be hotter than greece.
think london might reach 25 degrees next week.



Like we have in India - monsoon from June - Sept accompanied by pre monsoon rains in some states. It's easy to schedule Ranji trophy. Hardly one match gets cancelled. I don't even think even 1 Ranji match got cancelled whole Ranji season (Late 2017 and early 2018) . I mean something like that ECB also has to schedule so that nothing can get cancelled. Not even four months apart from rainy season. Okay understood, you say it is unpredictable weather but monsoon season for all 12 months ? Then when winter, summer will come if all 12 months its raining :?

Edit:
2 matches abandoned in Ranji Trophy 2017, both at Hyderabad.Out of 91 matches.


Can get unpredictable weather at any time of year in UK. 6 months of the year (October to March) are too cold/rainy for cricket. April isn't much better. And can still get lots of rain in summer months too although generally, the weather is better.


Now understood better. Good post.
Jonty: The scientist of fielding.

2010 World 20/20
2010 England Vs Australia ODI
2010 Pakistan Vs Australia Tests
2010 Ashes
2011 England Vs Australia ODI
2011 England Vs SriLanka ODI
2011 Friends Life Twenty20
2011 England Vs India ODI
2012 New Zealand Vs South Africa ODI
2012 England Vs South Africa T20
2012 CMS Cricinfo World T20
2013 Caribbean T20
2013 Bangladesh Premier League T20
2013 WI Vs ZIM ODI's + Tests (Combo)
2013 IPL
2013 Yorkshire Bank Pro40
2015 ICC World Cup
2015 Matador Cup
2015 India Vs South Africa Tests
2015 Bangladesh Premier League T20
2016 India Vs Australia ODI's and T20's (Combo)
2016 England Vs South Africa ODI
2016 India Vs West Indies Tests
2016 India Vs NewZealand Tests
2016 West Indies Vs Pakistan Tests
2016 Australia Vs Pakistan Tests
2016-2017 Big Bash (Men)
2017 SriLanka Vs Australia T20
2017 South Africa Vs New Zealand ODI
2017 Aus Vs India Tests
2017 WI Vs Pakistan 4 T20
2017 IND Vs NZ T20
User avatar
Adi
 
Posts: 21664
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 pm

To put into perspective how bad a winter/early spring it has been, most club cricket matches in Yorkshire that meant to take place two days ago got postponed. Groundsmen have not had opportunity to roll the square or cut the outfield because the ground is like a sponge, until the last week or so when there was proper drying weather.
In Phil Parkinson we trust
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed"
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory"

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru
User avatar
Alviro Patterson
 
Posts: 16329
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Loiner City Region
Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby andy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Yeah our club's square isn't in ideal state...we had a friendly saturday, and the pitch was incredibly green and outfield slow
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner



Essex CCC county champions
andy
 
Posts: 16921
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Essex
Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby sussexpob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Adi wrote:[
Like we have in India - monsoon from June - Sept accompanied by pre monsoon rains in some states. It's easy to schedule Ranji trophy. Hardly one match gets cancelled. I don't even think even 1 Ranji match got cancelled whole Ranji season (Late 2017 and early 2018) . I mean something like that ECB also has to schedule so that nothing can get cancelled. Not even four months apart from rainy season. Okay understood, you say it is unpredictable weather but monsoon season for all 12 months ? Then when winter, summer will come if all 12 months its raining


The Indian Monsoon is very unique to South Asia, Adi, and as such is not a climatic norm elsewhere in the world. India has a unique geography that produces it (Himalaya to the North, Tibetan plateau above it, surrounded by usually extremely warm ocean), and because it is essentially one huge reversible wind system, you either get huge amounts of rain being blown into the subcontinent, or the same wind that blows it in changes direction and blows all the rain clouds away, depending on the time of year. Indian weather forecasters have it easy. In most other places in the world, while rainy seasons do occur, they are nowhere near as extreme or predictable.

Britain for instance is usually unsettled or wetter in the Autumn, due to the raised temperature of the Atlantic after Summer combining with the lowering air temperature. The UK usually has very high winds in Dec-Jan. And the summers tends to be drier, but while it is raining less, you can still expect one out of three days to rain. England is actually a pretty dry country, ignoring stereotypes. I think London is drier than a lot of capital cities, even drier than a lot of Australian cities.

Rain shouldnt really destroy a county season, its only when you get a prolonged and unusual spell of several days of constant rain, that games get washed out. I think a lot of England had that this Spring, hence the problem. Most counties in the Midlands, SE, London and South Coast benefit from relatively very dry summers. I think even Leeds and North Yorkshire has very low summer rainfall.

Lancs, Glamorgan, Glocs and Somerset off the top of my head are the only counties that should get higher levels of rain, Lancs especially as its one of the few places in England that is wetter in August. I think, Im challenging my own knowledge here though, that Durham is drier than one might expect, but there is one month where it is abnormally wet, its either March to April, or end of summer, either way it shouldnt affect the season but may account for the seamer friendly surfaces early in the year.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob
 
Posts: 24777
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Asker, Norway
Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby captaincolly » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Toby Roland-Jones has suffered a reoccurrence of the stress fracture in his back and is out for the rest of the season.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43908487
captaincolly
 
Posts: 23167
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:50 pm

Bloody hell. That's a tough blow for him. Just got to the fringes of the England team, and out for the whole summer.
2012-13 SL vs NZ combined fantasy guru

I always say that everybody's right.
User avatar
Arthur Crabtree
 
Posts: 56396
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:52 pm
Location: Nottingham
Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire/New England.

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby andy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Gutting for the lad, and a real shame, im sure he would have been in the selector's minds for the first test against Pakistan, had he been fit!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner



Essex CCC county champions
andy
 
Posts: 16921
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Essex
Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Adi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:29 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Adi wrote:[
Like we have in India - monsoon from June - Sept accompanied by pre monsoon rains in some states. It's easy to schedule Ranji trophy. Hardly one match gets cancelled. I don't even think even 1 Ranji match got cancelled whole Ranji season (Late 2017 and early 2018) . I mean something like that ECB also has to schedule so that nothing can get cancelled. Not even four months apart from rainy season. Okay understood, you say it is unpredictable weather but monsoon season for all 12 months ? Then when winter, summer will come if all 12 months its raining


The Indian Monsoon is very unique to South Asia, Adi, and as such is not a climatic norm elsewhere in the world. India has a unique geography that produces it (Himalaya to the North, Tibetan plateau above it, surrounded by usually extremely warm ocean), and because it is essentially one huge reversible wind system, you either get huge amounts of rain being blown into the subcontinent, or the same wind that blows it in changes direction and blows all the rain clouds away, depending on the time of year. Indian weather forecasters have it easy. In most other places in the world, while rainy seasons do occur, they are nowhere near as extreme or predictable.

Britain for instance is usually unsettled or wetter in the Autumn, due to the raised temperature of the Atlantic after Summer combining with the lowering air temperature. The UK usually has very high winds in Dec-Jan. And the summers tends to be drier, but while it is raining less, you can still expect one out of three days to rain. England is actually a pretty dry country, ignoring stereotypes. I think London is drier than a lot of capital cities, even drier than a lot of Australian cities.

Rain shouldnt really destroy a county season, its only when you get a prolonged and unusual spell of several days of constant rain, that games get washed out. I think a lot of England had that this Spring, hence the problem. Most counties in the Midlands, SE, London and South Coast benefit from relatively very dry summers. I think even Leeds and North Yorkshire has very low summer rainfall.

Lancs, Glamorgan, Glocs and Somerset off the top of my head are the only counties that should get higher levels of rain, Lancs especially as its one of the few places in England that is wetter in August. I think, Im challenging my own knowledge here though, that Durham is drier than one might expect, but there is one month where it is abnormally wet, its either March to April, or end of summer, either way it shouldnt affect the season but may account for the seamer friendly surfaces early in the year.


Thanks.

Just googled "Do all countries have four seasons" and the answers showed how limited my knowledge was. Having seeing 4 seasons come at stipulated times throughout the lifetime, i was under impression that every other place in world is blessed with defined 4 seasons. And here summer means summer, no rains in it, not even for single day in 4 months.Even in winter maybe rain twice in 4 months. On doing some googling now, i realized how flawed this understanding was.
Jonty: The scientist of fielding.

2010 World 20/20
2010 England Vs Australia ODI
2010 Pakistan Vs Australia Tests
2010 Ashes
2011 England Vs Australia ODI
2011 England Vs SriLanka ODI
2011 Friends Life Twenty20
2011 England Vs India ODI
2012 New Zealand Vs South Africa ODI
2012 England Vs South Africa T20
2012 CMS Cricinfo World T20
2013 Caribbean T20
2013 Bangladesh Premier League T20
2013 WI Vs ZIM ODI's + Tests (Combo)
2013 IPL
2013 Yorkshire Bank Pro40
2015 ICC World Cup
2015 Matador Cup
2015 India Vs South Africa Tests
2015 Bangladesh Premier League T20
2016 India Vs Australia ODI's and T20's (Combo)
2016 England Vs South Africa ODI
2016 India Vs West Indies Tests
2016 India Vs NewZealand Tests
2016 West Indies Vs Pakistan Tests
2016 Australia Vs Pakistan Tests
2016-2017 Big Bash (Men)
2017 SriLanka Vs Australia T20
2017 South Africa Vs New Zealand ODI
2017 Aus Vs India Tests
2017 WI Vs Pakistan 4 T20
2017 IND Vs NZ T20
User avatar
Adi
 
Posts: 21664
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:35 pm

captaincolly wrote:Toby Roland-Jones has suffered a reoccurrence of the stress fracture in his back and is out for the rest of the season.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43908487

ouch!

that's a damned shame. Not like he's still 22 with the whole of his career to look forward to either. At 30, that might very well spell the end for his international career
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 32468
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby andy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm always suprised how old TRJ is! Been around a while now
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner



Essex CCC county champions
andy
 
Posts: 16921
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Essex
Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest