Sheffield Shield 2013/14

county and domestic cricket around the world

Sheffield Shield 2013/14

Postby from_the_stands » Fri May 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Alrighty then. With winter almost upon us in the land down under, domestic teams have been doing the business in preparation for the summer ahead. Defending champions Tasmania must surely fancy their chances of defending their title, as states wrestle with one another in order to secure the services of our next generation of stars. Upon a quick inspection of the state contract lists, there doesn't seem to be the player movement we saw last year, so this would suggest that this years comp could well be as close as it was last year.

New South Wales squad; Sean Abbott, Doug Bollinger, Michael Clarke (Cricket Australia contract), Trent Copeland, Pat Cummins (CA), Brad Haddin (CA), Josh Hazlewood, Moises Henriques, Scott Henry, Daniel Hughes, Nathan Lyon (CA), Nic Maddinson, Peter Nevill, Steve O'Keefe, Josh Lalor, Kurtis Patterson, Ben Rohrer, Gurinder Sandhu, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc (CA), Chris Tremain, David Warner (CA), Shane Watson (CA). Rookies Nic Bills, Ryan Carters, Harry Conway, Ben Dwarshuis, Jay Lenton.

New South Wales always have the best looking squad on paper, yet somehow find ways to mess it up on the field. The have an embarrassment of riches in the bowling department, and could easily field two sides that would be more than competitive. I'm guessing that Ben Rohrer will get the arm band, or possibly Steve Smith. It was Brad Haddin last season, but he's back in the Test fold. I think this will be a break out year for some of the youngsters in this squad, especially Nic Maddinson. Nathan Lyon returns to his home state.

Queensland squad Cameron Boyce, Joe Burns, Ben Cutting, Luke Feldman, Jason Floros, Peter Forrest, Matthew Gale, Cameron Gannon, Ryan Harris (Cricket Australia contract), Chris Hartley, Nathan Hauritz, James Hopes, Alex Kemp, Usman Khawaja, Chris Lynn, Alister McDermott, Greg Moller, Michael Neser, Luke Pomersbach, Nathan Reardon. Rookies Nicholas Buchanan, Ben McDermott, Ronan McDonald, James Peirson, Nicholas Stevens.

The banana benders had a pretty good season last year, and will look to do so again. They've given a rookie contract to Billy's other kid, a wicket-keeper batsman. What makes this team solid is that they have no players in the Test side currently. In Pommersbach, Khawaja, Burns and Forrest, they have a pretty good top order for a domestic team.

South Australia Johan Botha, Tom Cooper, Callum Ferguson, Peter George, Travis Head, Phillip Hughes (Cricket Australia contract), Michael Klinger, Tim Ludeman, Andrew McDonald, Joe Mennie, Gary Putland, Kane Richardson, Chadd Sayers, Daniel Worrall, Adam Zampa. Rookies Alex Carey, Elliot Opie, Alex Ross, Nick Winter.

The Sozzies surprised a few folks last year, especially the Bushies whom they beat outright twice! They've swapped Dan Christian with Andrew McDonald. On paper, they look to have a promising team. I've heard some big things about Kane Richardson, who'll be keen to get back into the Oz ODI side.

Tasmania squad Harry Allanby, George Bailey (Cricket Australia contract), Jackson Bird, Aiden Blizzard, Luke Butterworth, Steve Cazzulino, Mark Cosgrove, Ed Cowan (CA), Xavier Doherty (CA), Alex Doolan, Ben Dunk, James Faulkner (CA), Andrew Fekete, Evan Gulbis, Ben Hilfenhaus (CA), Ben Laughlin, Adam Maher, Tim Paine, Clive Rose, Jordan Silk, Timm van der Gugten, Jonathan Wells. Rookies Gabe Bell, Ryan Lees, Sam Rainbird, Beau Webster, Sean Willis.

Tassie are the team to beat IMHO. They have it all, and will have more if Ed Cowan gets dropped from the Test team. Ben Hilfenhaus will obviously lead the bowling, since his Test career is basically over. No Ricky Ponting, which is a shame.

Victoria squad; Fawad Ahmed, Scott Boland, Daniel Christian, Aaron Finch, Peter Handscomb, John Hastings, Jayde Herrick, Michael Hill, Jon Holland, David Hussey, Alex Keath, Glenn Maxwell (Cricket Australia contract), Clint McKay (CA), James Muirhead, James Pattinson (CA), Rob Quiney, Chris Rogers, Will Sheridan, Peter Siddle (CA), Ryan Sidebottom, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade (CA), Cameron White. Rookies Louis Cameron, Ian Holland, Matt Short, Guy Walker.

The Bushies will no doubt be there abouts again, and might just find a way to pull it off. With Matthew Wade seemingly back in the ranks, the Vics will push Tassie all the way... if only we can find a way to beat the Redbacks!

Western Australia haven't announced their squad just yet, as they are waiting on Michael Hussey. Justin Langer is keen for him to play, but Hussey is still thinking about it. With Hussey in their ranks, the Wuzzies will be a serious condender for the first time since the Colonial period.

1 - Victoria
2 - New South Wales
3 - Tasmania
4 - Queensland
5 - South Australia
6 - Western Australia
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Sheffield Shield 2013/14

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 pm

from_the_stands wrote:Tassie are the team to beat IMHO. They have it all, and will have more if Ed Cowan gets dropped from the Test team. Ben Hilfenhaus will obviously lead the bowling, since his Test career is basically over. No Ricky Ponting, which is a shame.

Ponting told Tasmania he wanted to play but did not want a contract.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

I read an article earlier on cricinfo about a suggestion to make Sheffield Shield matches into 5 day fixtures, in order to mirror conditions in Test cricket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/655813.html

I think this is an interesting idea, but one I don't see being adopted by CA. For a start, I don't think this is the answer to our current problems, as we've gone 100 or so years without having to contemplate such a move. Secondly, the Sheffield Shield isn't like County cricket in that it doesn't generate any money, and in fact relies in handouts from CA to keep it running. If changes are to be made at this level of cricket in Australia, I would rather see a seventh team (ACT) added to the mix, thus providing opportunities for 11 more cricketers at first class level. An interesting idea 5 day cricket may well be, a particularly good one it is not.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 am

With the Ryobi Cup won by Queensland with their win over NSW in the final, the serious stuff gets under way on Wednesday. NSW take on Tassie in Sydney, which should be the best match of the round. The Bushies take on the Wussies in Melbourne, and the Sozzies take on the Banana Benders in Radelaide. With the Ashes looming, the likes of Dave Warner and Usman Khawaja will be looking to impress the selectors, having no doubt caught their attention by being the two top scores in the Ryobi Cup.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 am

Day 1 at the MCG saw the Vics make 312, lead by Cameron White with 83 batting at 4. He doesn't have the armband this year, which has been passed on to Matthew Wade, who seems to have fallen off the radar with the national selectors if his omission from the Australia A squad is anything to go by. Cameron White seems to also be another whose ship seems to have sailed. If that is indeed the case, then the Vics will be a strong side this summer.

In the game in Sydney, the Michael Clarke led Blues started their season with 275 for 8 on the first day. Clarke top scored with 88. Dave Warner (21) and Nic Maddinson (15) opened the batting, but made sluggish starts to their campaigns. Warner's Test place would seem certain for now. Maddinson is still a year away. Young same Rainbird took 5 wickets for the visitors. I don't know anything about him.

In Radelaide, the home team are off to a thumping start against the more fancied Queenslanders. Tom Cooper is currently at the crease and is 165 n.o. as I write this. He was on the radar a year or so ago, then seem to disappear. The evergreen Michael Klinger, who has been drafted into the Oz A squad made 3. The Sozzies are well on the way to causing a bit of a boil-over here, if their bowlers can do the business against a pretty decent Queensland batting line-up.

Stay tuned for more updates.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby andy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 pm

i know clarke is an aussie however its good to see him back scoring runs, will make the ashes competitive..without him its hard to see aussies making runs.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:08 am

Wouldn't mind any updates of the legend that is Ryan Sidebottom
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:28 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:Wouldn't mind any updates of the legend that is Ryan Sidebottom

All i know about the great man at this point in time is that he isn't part of the current Vic squad, although that could change if he maintains his for from last year in the VCA playing for Carlton. I can't find any stats for him for this season so far, but I can say that Carlton sit at the top of ladder after 5 rounds. With several Victorians likely to be involved at international level this summer, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Mr Sidebottom feature for the Bushies at some point. As far as I'm aware, he hasn't been signed by a BBL franchise, but again, that could also change.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby andy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:38 am

He is useful in t20!! Was a fantastic exponent of the slower ball bouncer, and has a terrifc yorker.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 am

Tassie were the only outright winners in the first round. I guess the Sheffield Shield is one trophy they are not going to give up without a fight. A very fair effort to turn over NSW away. First innings points went to NSW, Qld and the Vics. The next round of matches get under way this week. Qld v Tas, Vic v NSW & WA v SA. All three matches should be very interesting encounters.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:58 am

As Tassie traditionally have the first three or so SS matches away from home (waiting for the pitch at Bellerive to thaw), a first up win is doubly valuable.

A good start to Dan Marsh's tenure as coach.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Jordan Silk made a century on the first day in the Shield match against Queensland. He did open the batting for the Tasmanians, with Ed Cowan coming in at 3. He's going to be a gun. Victoria made an average score against the Blues, with Chris Rogers and Cameron White being the top scorers. Cameron White had quite a bit to say about the national selectors this week, being critical of their announcement that they have a clear idea who will play in Brisbane with some first class cricket to be played before then. Matthew Wade made 9, and Aaron Finch made a blob.The Sozzies look like they are going to struggle way out west.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:28 pm

The Tas/Qbilly match is being played at the placid-pitched Alan Border Field, so Tassie's good opening day (2/290-odd) needs to be viewed with that in mind. Someone forgot to tell Ryan Harris this.

Apparently he bowled with plenty of pace and aggression, giving (especially) test hopeful, George Bailey, a particularly hard time with the short ball, wacking him around plenty of times.

Harris didn't have much luck, but it is good to see that he is over his virus.

Bailey hung on well, reaching 34 not out at stumps
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:35 am

Proper Ashes good news for Australia with tons for Smith and Warner.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 am

any time NSW dominates Victoria, it's good news.

good stuff.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Next

Return to Domestic Cricket