What would you do with the county system?

county and domestic cricket around the world

What would you do with the county system?

Postby Hampshire » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Hey guys , first thread in a while so thought I'd bring up a topic that seems to have been going around a lot recently , with all the counties complaining about loss of ticket sales/fixtures and all that stuff!

Ok , pretend you were put in charge of giving the current county system a makeover! You can keep what you want , change what you want and implement what you want! The T20 format seems to be under the most scrutiny recently , so I expect a lot of people would look to make big changes to that , perhaps to start our own large league such as the IPL? More overseas players in it? Do you keep the counties? Do the counties/cities keep their current players or are they all auctioned? Or is everything ok at the moment :salute ?

So , what would you guys do :D. My ideas will come out when I have more time later :halo: .
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Re: What would you do with the county system?

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:17 am

I always like the idea of a step up between county and international level. I suppose that time allocation got swallowed up by T20, and the need by the England Lions. Ordinary county season three divisions to create space.

Six teams, five games each.

South coast: Sussex, Kent, Hampshire
London: Essex, Middlesex, Surrey.
West Country: Glamorgan, Gloucester, Somerset.
North: Durham, Lancashire, Yorkshire.
North Midlands: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire.
South Midland: Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Northamptonshire.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:21 am

Playing at out grounds again would be nice. Not that it will happen again.

The one thing that would transform cricket at county level would be warm, reliable weather. More fantasy.

But cutting down the leagues in limited overs, and playing more knock outs feels like the best way to generate excitement around limited overs, even if it diminishes profit.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 pm

I'd basically have it as it right now, save for two minor adjustments. No random four day matches in the middle of the t20 season. A QF stage in the YB40 (which to implement best, might mean having four groups rather than three - and I would have no problem with that).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:37 pm

AC is right though. The one thing above all else that would improve the county system, is better weather!
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Make a rule that says central contracted players MUST play x amount of games a year ( unless CLUB doctors can verify a player has an injury )

Remove regional T20 groups, its boring playing the same teams EVERY year, it'd be nice for Hants to play Glamorgan or Worcestershire for a change.

Remove LVCC game in the middle of T20 schedule ( as Brendy has already stated )

Less T20 fixtures and play them closer together, try and entice better overseas stars.

Let games start at 10:30 when you have lost play the day before.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:56 pm

LVCC:

3 divisions of 6 teams, top two go up and the bottom 2 go down.

All games to have at least 1 days play on a weekend.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby westoelad » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:LVCC:

3 divisions of 6 teams, top two go up and the bottom 2 go down.

All games to have at least 1 days play on a weekend.

What a simple solution to the fixture congestion this is. Although 2 up and 2 down would mean in the 2nd division 4 teams would change each season. How about 1 up and down with 2nd bottom and top have an end of season play off-pipe dream - ECB would never agree to something which is innovative.
westoelad

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:51 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Remove regional T20 groups, its boring playing the same teams EVERY year, it'd be nice for Hants to play Glamorgan or Worcestershire for a change.

Infact I'd try and manufactor it so you attempt to play every team in a season across the formats in 1 competition or another, but without touching the LVCC, for example, Hants are in the same group as Essex in the T20,YB40 aswell as the LVCC, thats a minimum of 6 games against them, whereas we probably won't play Yorkshire at all.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:39 am

I'd leave the divisions as they are. Despite the obvious advantages of having 3 divisions (and I've argued for that myself, in the past), the members just wouldn't tolerate 5 home games a year for their money.

I've said this before, and it just confused the hell out of everybody, but........

I'd link the entire county season to the 2 divisions of the CC. and have week long tours between teams that involved 1 CC match, 1 40 over match (I'd keep 40 overs), and 1 T20 match, and there might even be the opportunity to include reserve days to allow for poor weather. By having the same teams in 2 groups for every competition, there'd be no pointless travelling up and down the country for the teams. In a normal 20 week season that would mean 16 weeks playing time (so 4 weeks off for R and R) There would still be a small element of cross over between the divisions, courtesy of having knockout stages for the 40 over and 20 over competitions. At the end of the season, promotion and relegation in the county championship would change the teams for the following year across all formats, and I'd be reasonably content if promotion and relegation was increased to 3 teams.

As an aside...... I'd also include an additional 2 or 3 week long, 20 over competition played at the olympic stadium for franchise teams, completely separate to the county season (although doubtless some county players would end up being unavailable for their counties while this was on) with all England contracted players available to play and as many overseas players as you like. Kind of a showpiece, TV fest, with all singing, all dancing IPL type stuff for the people who like that sort of thing. Maybe 6 franchises but, I repeat, kept separate from the county season.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am

I would expand the County championship to include Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands (it's not like any of them will be getting Test status anytime soon). Divide the 21 teams into 3 divisions of 7 teams each, thus allowing for 12 matches over the course of the summer, with 6 at home and 6 away (which is still more than what happens in SA, Oz and NZ. Two up and two down could work. In addition, I would have a region of origin series played between players eligible for national selection - a north vs south arrangement, with the first match played just prior to the naming of the squad for the first Test series of the summer, the second prior to the second Test series, and the third prior to the naming of the first winter squad. I'd use the same structure for the other formats, but would include semi-finals and finals.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby D/L » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am

Leave the Championship exactly as it is. There are not enough teams for three divisions and its prime purpose is not to generate income, but to develop test players. This it seems to do quite well.

Fiddle around with the one day stuff to boost the coffers a little if you wish, but not to the detriment of the main competition.

Regional teams and IPL style franchises are a non-starter. Most county supporters would give such matches, of whatever format, a wide berth and so, therefore, would sponsors, advertisers and broadcasters.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Kim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:48 am

D/L wrote:Leave the Championship exactly as it is. There are not enough teams for three divisions and its prime purpose is not to generate income, but to develop test players. This it seems to do quite well.

Fiddle around with the one day stuff to boost the coffers a little if you wish, but not to the detriment of the main competition.

Regional teams and IPL style franchises are a non-starter. Most county supporters would give such matches, of whatever format, a wide berth and so, therefore, would sponsors, advertisers and broadcasters.

Agree.

My main change to the county system would be to stop making changes.
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

Postby dan08 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Championship: 3 groups of 6. Bottom team to get relegated with top team promoted while 2nd bottom and 2nd top from league below have a play off.

One Day: 4 groups of 5. 8 group matches for a team. Top team in each group go through to the semi's.

County T20: Played on Fridays/weekends throughout the season. 4 groups of 5 - scrap the regional groups that exist at the moment.

Franchise T20: 9 teams (one for each Test ground), 8 matches each, IPL style eliminator/qualifiers for final - to be held at Olympic Stadium. Lasts around a month - England players to be available. 3 overseas per team.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby DeltaAlpha » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Kim wrote:
D/L wrote:Leave the Championship exactly as it is. There are not enough teams for three divisions and its prime purpose is not to generate income, but to develop test players. This it seems to do quite well.

Agree.

My main change to the county system would be to stop making changes.

:thumb
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Next

Return to Domestic Cricket