What would you do with the county system?

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: What would you do with the county system?

Postby D/L » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:47 pm

England's_No7 wrote:Championship: 3 groups of 6. Bottom team to get relegated with top team promoted while 2nd bottom and 2nd top from league below have a play off...

A four day play off match, in which there must be a result and subject to the vagaries of the weather? Bit of a non-starter, really.

Leave it as it is. There's nowt wrong with it.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Hampshire » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I always like the idea of a step up between county and international level. I suppose that time allocation got swallowed up by T20, and the need by the England Lions. Ordinary county season three divisions to create space.

Six teams, five games each.

South coast: Sussex, Kent, Hampshire
London: Essex, Middlesex, Surrey.
West Country: Glamorgan, Gloucester, Somerset.
North: Durham, Lancashire, Yorkshire.
North Midlands: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire.
South Midland: Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Northamptonshire.

That sounds quite interesting , could sort of mix that in with the franchise system a bit maybe , every group there has a test ground just to make it even better :clap.

Durhamfootman wrote:I'd leave the divisions as they are. Despite the obvious advantages of having 3 divisions (and I've argued for that myself, in the past), the members just wouldn't tolerate 5 home games a year for their money.

I've said this before, and it just confused the hell out of everybody, but........

I'd link the entire county season to the 2 divisions of the CC. and have week long tours between teams that involved 1 CC match, 1 40 over match (I'd keep 40 overs), and 1 T20 match, and there might even be the opportunity to include reserve days to allow for poor weather. By having the same teams in 2 groups for every competition, there'd be no pointless travelling up and down the country for the teams. In a normal 20 week season that would mean 16 weeks playing time (so 4 weeks off for R and R) There would still be a small element of cross over between the divisions, courtesy of having knockout stages for the 40 over and 20 over competitions. At the end of the season, promotion and relegation in the county championship would change the teams for the following year across all formats, and I'd be reasonably content if promotion and relegation was increased to 3 teams.

As an aside...... I'd also include an additional 2 or 3 week long, 20 over competition played at the olympic stadium for franchise teams, completely separate to the county season (although doubtless some county players would end up being unavailable for their counties while this was on) with all England contracted players available to play and as many overseas players as you like. Kind of a showpiece, TV fest, with all singing, all dancing IPL type stuff for the people who like that sort of thing. Maybe 6 franchises but, I repeat, kept separate from the county season.

I like the idea , but do you think players would get sick/tired of playing too many games in too short a space? 6 Games a week for 4 weeks in a row with a one week rest in between is maybe a bit too much to ask?

Edit : Wait , maybe slight bit of confusion from me here then. Would you base the 40 over and T20 leagues on the county championship divisions then so when teams travel to a county they can play all their games?
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Hampshire wrote:
I like the idea , but do you think players would get sick/tired of playing too many games in too short a space? 6 Games a week for 4 weeks in a row with a one week rest in between is maybe a bit too much to ask?

Edit : Wait , maybe slight bit of confusion from me here then. Would you base the 40 over and T20 leagues on the county championship divisions then so when teams travel to a county they can play all their games?

exactly!

I don't think there is too much cricket being played in a season, but I do think that there is far too much travelling

as for players playing too much in a week, that's what squads are for. Counties would adapt. Surrey would adapt by buying more players :halo:

To answer D/Ls franchise point...... I agree. Which is why the franchise tournament would have nothing to do with the counties, other than by providing a handful of players (they do that for lions matches anyway) for a couple of weeks. It wouldn't even be played at any of the county grounds. I like this idea because it might help the ECB have their IPL bollox that they keep trying to boost/milk, without it impacting much on the county season.

Part of the problem with stupid scheduling in the county season is to fit in with Sky's programming. A franchise T20 would give them shed loads of cricket to air and might help them to minimise the disruption that they create in the fixture lists.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Hampshire » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Ok , here we go , me proving I have well too much time on my hands! I have scheduled an overpacked fixture list for Hampshire using some ideas that have come out in this thread , including a T20 franchise , that has unforuntately came out probably a bit too packed for the players (ok , maybe hugely packed?)! Here it is , and as I said , yes I do have too much time :no.

| +
Week Commencing April 1st
Northamtonshire Home
Mon - Thursday : CC
Friday Evening : T20
Saturday Afternoon : 40 Over

Week Commencing April 8th
Lancashire Away
Tuesday Evening : 40 Over
Wenesday - Saturday : CC
Sunday Afternoon : T20

Week Commencing April 15th
Worcestershire Home

Week Commencing April 22nd
- Rest

Week Commencing April 29th
Essex Away

Week Commencing May 6th
Gloucestershire Home

Week Commencing May 13th
Glamorgan Away

Week Commencing May 20th
- Rest
- Franchise squads prepare/train together.

Week Commencing May 27th
- Franchise T20 begins , 9 teams with one at every test ground. Teams are completely seperate from their counties , and are named after their city. Eg : The Rose Bowl - Southampton , Headingly - Leeds. Each team players each other home and away.
- Players not in any Franchise teams get rest periods , with soem friendlies oraganised to keep up fitness.
- Southampton will have played 5/16 of their franchise T20's.

Week Commencing June 3rd
- Southampton will have played 10/16 of their franchise T20's.

Week Commencing June 10th
- Southampton will have played 15/16 of their franchise T20's.

Week Commencing June 17th
- Southampton will have played all of their franchise T20's within the first two days of the week.
- Top four teams go through to the semi finals , both played on the same working day evening that week (probably Thursday to allow tickets to be bought for the final) at the ground of the highest ranking team.
- FInal is played that Saturday afternoon , with the ability for the floodlights to be turned on and the match to be turned into a day nighter, at a preselected ground with Sunday as the reserve day in a worst cast scenario.

Week Commencing June 24th
Leicestershire Home

Week Commencing July 1st
Kent Away

Week Commencing July 8th
Northamptonshire Away

Week Commencing July 15th
- Rest

Week Commencing July 22nd
Lancashire Home

Week Commencing July 29th
Worcestershire Away

Week Commencing August 5th
Essex Home

Week Commencing August 12th
- Rest

Week Commencing August 19th
Gloucestershire Away

Week Commencing August 26th
Glamorgan Home

Week Commencing September 2nd
Leicestershire Away

Week Commencing September 9th
- Rest

Week Commencing September 16th
Kent Home

Week Commencing September 23rd
- 40 Over finals in afternoon games mid/early week.
- 40 Over final Saturday afternoon , with Sunday as a reserve day.
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby dan08 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Playing 16 T20s in 23 days would just kill the players.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:24 am

Format
County Championship: Leave as it is
One Day: 50 over competition, 4 groups of 5 like the Friends Provident Trophy 08/09 format. 12 games (8 games with group teams playing each other home and away and 4 additional cross group fixtures). Top 2 in each group through to the knockout stages, group winners with home quarter final advantage.
Twenty20: Same 3 regional groups of 6 but play 12 games (10 games with group teams playing each other home and away and 2 additional cross group fixtures)

Scheduling
County Championship: April fixtures 10.30am start, last rounds of County Championship matches played Thursday to Sunday. Avoid playing County Championship immediately after a Twenty20 fixture.
Twenty20: Games played on Friday's and Sunday over a 6 week period, Sky can show televised matches on other days, finals day on a Sunday.
50 over matches: Most matches on Sundays.

Playing conditions
Extend playing time by a maximum of 1hr for matches lost to the weather for County Championship games (30 minutes for Day 4). T20 matches can be extended beyond the current 1hr rule if conditions are fit for play and a result can be reached.
Any abandoned T20 games can be rearranged.
50 over competition to replicate ODI conditions.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:28 am

This franchise T20 proposal is interesting, but how many on here would attend the games?

Personally I would not support a Leeds franchise and the majority of Yorkshire cricket fans would say the same.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby dan08 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 am

I would attend the games. Don't know if i'd support a team but i'd like to watch it.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:29 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:This franchise T20 proposal is interesting, but how many on here would attend the games?

Personally I would not support a Leeds franchise and the majority of Yorkshire cricket fans would say the same.

I envisage 6 London based franchises. Doesn't matter who or what they are called really because it would have nothing whatsoever to do with the counties. Purely a cash cow/advertising/TV fest. I reckon if it was based purely in London and at the same venue (the olympic stadium) they'd fill it easily enough, and it wouldn't take that long to complete. In the meantime the counties get on with playing the T20 cup every friday night (or whatever)

6 teams with, using the IPL model, 10 overseas players, and with all the england contracted players available wouldn't require too much involvement from county players. I can't see it causing much more disruption to county team availability than Lions matches and IPL commitments currently cause.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby D/L » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:23 am

That’d have a few hurdles to overcome, DF. The ECB (supported by the ICC) / Sky hegemony would make it very difficult for any competitor to secure players, grounds, broadcasters, sponsors and advertisers. The ECB cooperating would be like turkeys voting for Xmas and, without the ECB, nothing could happen

There would be apathy from the cricket watching public for a franchise based competition that would probably have few recognisable players.

There are only so many cricket watching dollars to go round. In the unlikely event of such a competition getting off the ground, it would only dilute attendance at short format county matches.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 pm

I didn't say it would be easy, D/L, the thread asks what I would do. Realistically I went to the wrong school to have any say in the matter. My school had 'Riff Raff Welcome' written on the door

I don't see why a 2 or 3 week TV knackers fest would impact on county attendances (perhaps while the franchise tournament is on). If enough people watch it on the telly..... (free to air :o ) it might even boost county attendances. Stranger things have happened.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby DeltaAlpha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Are you suggesting that there would be 6 teams (franchises), all based in London and playing all their matches there, DF?

I can't really see anyone getting excited by that, and actually going to watch matches between teams with which they have no association: it's like expecting Chelsea supporters to go and watch Arsenal when Chelsea are playing away.
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:02 pm

DeltaAlpha wrote:Are you suggesting that there would be 6 teams (franchises), all based in London and playing all their matches there, DF?

I can't really see anyone getting excited by that, and actually going to watch matches between teams with which they have no association: it's like expecting Chelsea supporters to go and watch Arsenal when Chelsea are playing away.

I am, DA

and lots of people watch the IPL on ITV, the champions league every tuesday and wednesday, Barca -v- Madrid... and so on. People will watch anything if it's marketed properly. You adopt a team, I suppose.

I'd hate it, but there you go, that's just me........ lots of people would go for it if you had enough fireworks, loud music and half naked dancing girls.

and Ravi *modded* Shastri, of course, calling a thick edge that flies, a brilliant shot, and wets his pants every time Sachin nurdles a single, that helps........ plus a tweet count! Got to have a tweet count
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby DeltaAlpha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Hmm, if you think about it like that (which I hadn't), I suppose it might work, DF. :dunno
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby Kim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:29 pm

One change Id make is getting rid of the heavy roller again. The players don't like it, not a single groundsman wants it - and it creates boring cricket. In Div one there have already been more draws than in the whole of 2011 and we are getting more games like current Notts V Sussex one where they are still in the first innings after 3 days.

Last week or maybe the week before the sun came out and every game was drawn. Its not good.
The Kookaburra Man
Kim

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket