2014 Hampshire Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: 2014 Hampshire Thread

Postby Centuryclub » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:06 am

SaintPowelly wrote:Bit of a random thought, but with 3 x List A trophys, 2 x T20 and now a LVCC div 2 win, is Slug now our most successful ever player ??

I'm fairly sure he was tied with someone at 5 limited overs trophies, can anyone think of anyone with 6 or more titles ??

I can't think of anyone who has had as much success as Slug in terms of winning trophies.
A player would not only have had to have had a lot of success (which isn't that common for Hants as I believe our C & G in 2005 was the first trophy for 13 (thirteen) years, but also had a long career, Players such as Greenidge had long careers but would only have picked up the Championship & a couple of Sunday Leagues - unless someone was in tghe etam for all 3 Sunday Leagues? Even if they were they would not have won nore than 4 trophies altogether as we never even reached finals of one day tournaments, let alone won them in those days!
Players such as Bates at least have won some silverware with Hants in their relatively brief careers & hopefully we will find a county.
Tommo was ecstatic over winning CC2 as it was his first ever professional trophy.

Different topic ; just been reading the first ever Wisden Cricketer magazine of October 2003.
It features 8 young wickies to watch out for. The freshfaced lads are:
Mustard (Durham)
Foster (Essex)
Wallace (Glamorgan)
Jones (Kent)
Read (Notts)
Gazzard (Somerset)
Ambrose (Sussex)
Prior (also Sussex)

I hadn't remembered that Ambrose (once suggested as a Hants keeper as was Foster) was once Sussex & whatever happened to Gazzard???
Centuryclub

Team(s) Supported: Bournemouth (Football)
Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby st_brendy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Yep, Slug is out on his own with six trophies to his name. No-one in our history can match that.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:33 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:We are looking to re-sign Nathan Rimmington, this time as a non-overseas as he holds a British passport, I'd be happy with that.

5-38 and 2-52 last week and 5-27 today.... PLEASE sign him.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Centuryclub » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:02 am

Any predictions for how Hants (& Worcs!) will do next season in CC1?

The November issue of The Cricketer magazine gives a good review of the 2014 season. Usually it seems too preoccupied with international cricket & KP who due to his autobiography unfortunately appears on the front cover.
Due to the late finish to the season the annual review appears as late as November!
BMB - Bournemouth in an automatic promotion spot after being in League 2 (aka Division 4) as recently as 2010!
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Centuryclub wrote:Any predictions for how Hants (& Worcs!) will do next season in CC1?

The November issue of The Cricketer magazine gives a good review of the 2014 season. Usually it seems too preoccupied with international cricket & KP who due to his autobiography unfortunately appears on the front cover.
Due to the late finish to the season the annual review appears as late as November!
BMB - Bournemouth in an automatic promotion spot after being in League 2 (aka Division 4) as recently as 2010!

I can't say how Hants will fair next season, for AFCB a playoff place possibly. Just enjoying it while it lasts, who can say what is round the corner. At the moment we have a pretty decent sized squad which just now is relatively injury free. Going to any more games Century?
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Centuryclub » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:12 pm

BMB - certainly intend to get to Dean Court (I keep thinking the new name is the old Brighton ground - it was bad enough having an end once called Brighton Beach!) before too long.
I can't get to the Liverpool match (after 50 years of hurt in the League Cup!) as I don't meet the criteria for getting a ticket.
Good to see Wilson, Cargill & old-boy Ings getting England international call-ups!
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby Centuryclub » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 am

2015 - hopefully the Year of Hampshire!

Most cricket commentators expect us to fare a lot better than Worcs - however we do I don't expect us to finish around 5th in the middle of the table.

Hopefully a double whammy with at least a top 3 finish (Championship would be great after 42 years) & Bournemouth winning promotion to the Premiership & resuming local derbies with an impressive Southampton.
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby st_brendy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Yet again Vince utterly fails to take his chance with the Lions. Lyth scores a 106ret, Robson a 109ret, Lees an 85, Bairstow a 62ret, Trott a 79*, and Billings a 53*. Vince, the remaining batsman, gets scores of 7 and 6 (off a total of 29 balls).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Has Vince ever done ought at Lions level? He's a cracking talent, so it's sad to see him blowing chance after chance.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby westoelad » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Has Vince ever done ought at Lions level? He's a cracking talent, so it's sad to see him blowing chance after chance.

Regardless of how he does in this tour he's got to score a mountain of runs next season in the 1st division to realise International ambitions. Realistically this tour is probably over for him already in any case.
westoelad

Postby Centuryclub » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Very disappointing match for Vince. Next season will prove to be a defining one as far as staying in test contention for the next couple of years goes.
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Previous

Return to Domestic Cricket