2014 Hampshire Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: 2014 Hampshire Thread

Postby Centuryclub » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:40 pm

The current media backlash suggests that Carbs may not make the final test - let alone the tests next summer.
Centuryclub

Team(s) Supported: Bournemouth (Football)
Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby SaintPowelly » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:If you're a batsman, your job is to score runs. I'd salute Carbs for being able to step back from his natural game and dig in, but he has to put the scores up on the board as well.

I hope he'll be given the summer, but if Trott comes back, he may be dropped to keep Stokes in the side.

In the 2nd innings of the last game, England had a 1st innings lead, and Cook was scoring freely, he had no reason to go at them...I'd be mych more pissed off at Bell getting out 1st ball to a nothing shot, but I have heard NO criticism of him at all.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Centuryclub » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:06 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:If you're a batsman, your job is to score runs. I'd salute Carbs for being able to step back from his natural game and dig in, but he has to put the scores up on the board as well.

I hope he'll be given the summer, but if Trott comes back, he may be dropped to keep Stokes in the side.

In the 2nd innings of the last game, England had a 1st innings lead, and Cook was scoring freely, he had no reason to go at them...I'd be mych more pissed off at Bell getting out 1st ball to a nothing shot, but I have heard NO criticism of him at all.

Yes, if KP (& I'm no fan) had produced the shot that Bell did, papers would have run special features & articles criticising him!
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby st_brendy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:33 pm

From a totally selfish Hampshire perspective, Carberry not continuing his England career past this tour would be no bad thing (sorry Carbs, I really am). We'd have to replace him with Joe Gatting. Joe Blooming Gatting.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Centuryclub » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:44 pm

st_brendy wrote:From a totally selfish Hampshire perspective, Carberry not continuing his England career past this tour would be no bad thing (sorry Carbs, I really am). We'd have to replace him with Joe Gatting. Joe Blooming Gatting.

I think the duck by Carbs today has probably ended his Test career. Even a fifty plus in the second innings would not be enough;many were surprised that he was prefrerred to Root. Hopefully Hants will gain from his expected jettison - I can't help feeling that the selectors were too influenced by some wonderful televised one day knocks last season and never really looked at a pretty roller coaster first class career. He is not the only batsman to have good and bad spells but his tend to be higher and lower than the majority of batsmen.
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby Centuryclub » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:03 am

After seeing England's latest batting display (how many tests is it since they passed 400 (or even 300) in the first innings of a Test?), at least Carbs can look forward to batting with some decent batsmen next season - Vince, Adams, Dawson........ :)
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Centuryclub wrote:After seeing England's latest batting display (how many tests is it since they passed 400 (or even 300) in the first innings of a Test?), at least Carbs can look forward to batting with some decent batsmen next season - Vince, Adams, Dawson........ :)

and hopefully NOT Gatting.
SaintPowelly

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:02 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
Centuryclub wrote:After seeing England's latest batting display (how many tests is it since they passed 400 (or even 300) in the first innings of a Test?), at least Carbs can look forward to batting with some decent batsmen next season - Vince, Adams, Dawson........ :)

and hopefully NOT Gatting.

I've always rated Joe Gatting, must have seen him make a score somewhere along the line. Not sure I'd ever want to sign him mind. I had you pegged for picking up Moores.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Now that I'm confident that we'll have Carberry available for the whole summer (can't even see him playing for the Lions - what would be the point?), I'm reasonably confident that we could have a successful four day campaign ahead of us so long as we sign a decent overseas bowler.

Complete contrast to recent season though, because I also fear a horrific limited overs season. No Dimi, no Macca, no Tanvir, Adams' limited overs batting regressed significantly last season, and Briggs may well miss some matches if required for England limited overs duty now that Swann has retired.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I had you pegged for picking up Moores.

I'd imagine we tried, probably a case of him rejecting us as we can't guarantee a starting spot.
SaintPowelly

Postby Centuryclub » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:28 pm

According to the Telegraph, KP's representatives have made it known that he would like to be considered for the England vice-captaincy.
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby andy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:49 pm

I thought Ian Bell had offically been named vice captain..?
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 pm

Presumably because Prior was dropped. I expect he'll be vc when back in the side.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 pm

Centuryclub wrote:According to the Telegraph, KP's representatives have made it known that he would like to be considered for the England vice-captaincy.

The Telegraph has never been impartial on issues related to Pietersen.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Centuryclub » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:24 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Centuryclub wrote:According to the Telegraph, KP's representatives have made it known that he would like to be considered for the England vice-captaincy.

The Telegraph has never been impartial on issues related to Pietersen.

Nor have Shane Warne, Ian Botham or Piers Morgan!
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket