Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Re: 2014 Hampshire Thread

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Giles White say the club are in no hurry to appoint a new head coach, they want the right man and have spoke to 4 candidates ( Chris Adams is believed to be 1 of them ), Krikken has left Derbyshire today and would be my choice.

Also, Joe Gatting has signed a 2 year contract after his release from Sussex. Still no news on an overseas.
SaintPowelly

Postby Hampshire » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Joe Gattings an interesting one. He started his career well but has died off a bit recently. What does everyone think our starting team will be at the moment?

Carberry
Adams
Vince
Smith (Assume he will get in instead of Gatting)
Dawson
Ervine (Although he wasn't going too well in CC towards the end of last season in my opinion)
Wheater
Coles (Will he play OD and T20?)
Briggs
Tomlinson (Wood will slot in for him OD/T20)
(Overseas - above Coles if an allrounder)
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Gatting was signed as cover for Carbs, who will presumably spend a fair bit of time with England.

Dawson will keep his place at 3, don't see why he would move to 5 after a great year, Vince will probably move to 4 with Smith at 5. Daws will probably open with Gatting slotting in at 5 when Carbs isnt about.
SaintPowelly

Postby Hampshire » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:04 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Gatting was signed as cover for Carbs, who will presumably spend a fair bit of time with England.

Dawson will keep his place at 3, don't see why he would move to 5 after a great year, Vince will probably move to 4 with Smith at 5. Daws will probably open with Gatting slotting in at 5 when Carbs isnt about.

Yep, what about the one day games? If Carbs isn't with us will we send out Dawson and Vince to open or go with Adams to get a bit of experience out there early on.

Also, what about the T20 captain this season? I know Adams has said he is retaining the captaincy but is he taking over the T20 as well now or is there anyone else that could replace him?

If England get to the semis of the T20 cup then we'll possibly miss Briggs for the opening game and Carberry if he does get selected (Which I don't think he will).
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:23 pm

I'd imagine Adams and Vince will open and Smith will go in at 3 without Carbs.

No word on T20 captain, maybe Slug will get it, as a thank-you for years of service.

In other news, looks like Dimi is out of the BBL after breaking his jaw.
SaintPowelly

Postby st_brendy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Struggling to understand the signing of Gatting. I'd have rather seen Terry get a few more games than Gatting. Or even better, sign a batsmen who can actually score runs. I'd previously mentioned Stephen Moore, and I see Derbyshire have just signed him. He is vastly better than Gatting in my opinion, and surely Derbyshire can't have a greater wage bill than ours. We even said that, in signing Gatting, we were taking into account the fact that Carberry might be on England duty over the Summer. Well Moore is an opener.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:50 pm

I just hope we get Krikken as a coach and not Chris Adams.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all aswell.
SaintPowelly

Postby mark the hawk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:04 pm

if Chris Adams is our coach I won't be renewing my membership , horrible man and a horrible brand of Cricket
mark the hawk

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire, Havant and Waterlooville.
follower of Southampton and Hibernian.

Postby andy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:52 pm

Joe Gatting :laugh
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Centuryclub » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:40 pm

If England are whitewashed in Australia, Carbs could be one of the heads to roll. He can be relied upon to make a steady 30 but one strange (& not picked up by the national media) fact is that he has only scored 1 (one) FC ton in the last 2 domestic seasons! If that is correct then he is likely to be at Hants full-time next season - apart from some time with the limited overs England squad & any Lions matches that he is selected for.
Centuryclub

Team(s) Supported: Bournemouth (Football)
Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Centuryclub wrote:If England are whitewashed in Australia, Carbs could be one of the heads to roll. He can be relied upon to make a steady 30 but one strange (& not picked up by the national media) fact is that he has only scored 1 (one) FC ton in the last 2 domestic seasons! If that is correct then he is likely to be at Hants full-time next season - apart from some time with the limited overs England squad & any Lions matches that he is selected for.

His job isn't too score runs ( as stupid as that sounds ) it is too take the shine off the new ball and protect Bell and KP from it, he batted for 34 overs last night and 49 runs were scored whilst he was facing ( inc. byes and leg byes ) did well for me.
SaintPowelly

Postby Centuryclub » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:57 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
Centuryclub wrote:If England are whitewashed in Australia, Carbs could be one of the heads to roll. He can be relied upon to make a steady 30 but one strange (& not picked up by the national media) fact is that he has only scored 1 (one) FC ton in the last 2 domestic seasons! If that is correct then he is likely to be at Hants full-time next season - apart from some time with the limited overs England squad & any Lions matches that he is selected for.

His job isn't too score runs ( as stupid as that sounds ) it is too take the shine off the new ball and protect Bell and KP from it, he batted for 34 overs last night and 49 runs were scored whilst he was facing ( inc. byes and leg byes ) did well for me.

I take your point SP & in the second innings Carbs did take the shine off but was criticised on Test Match Special for barely scoring while doing so & thus building up the pressure on the batsmen who followed him!
Centuryclub

Team(s) Supported: Bournemouth (Football)
Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Centuryclub wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:

I take your point SP & in the second innings Carbs did take the shine off but was criticised on Test Match Special for barely scoring while doing so & thus building up the pressure on the batsmen who followed him!

Which is nonsense, Australia winning with a day and a half to spare proves there was no rush to score.
SaintPowelly

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:21 am

If you're a batsman, your job is to score runs. I'd salute Carbs for being able to step back from his natural game and dig in, but he has to put the scores up on the board as well.

I hope he'll be given the summer, but if Trott comes back, he may be dropped to keep Stokes in the side.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Next

Return to Domestic Cricket