Sheffield Shield 2014/15

county and domestic cricket around the world

Sheffield Shield 2014/15

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:13 pm

All righty then, so New South Wales won the Shield last season, so we should move on as quickly as possible, in the hope that Victoria win it in the up coming season. Here are the squads;

http://www.auscricket.com.au/players/ca-state-contracted-players

The only changes of note are Mark Cosgrove returning to South Australia, with Micheal Klinger moving further west.

On the Rookie lists, Jake Lehmann is listed for the Sozzies, and is the son of Boof.

It's pretty hard to predict a winner for the upcoming season, but as much as it pains me to say it, New South Wales do have the best depth in talent. Batting wise they may seem thin on the ground without their Oz players, but they do have an embarrassment of riches in the bowling department. I always expect Queensland to do well, and I'm sure they will. As for the Vics, batting was the big problem last year, with some England-esque batting collapses.

NSw will pay two home games outside of Sydney, one in the "Steel City" of Newcastle, and the other in that tucked away factory of Australian sporting greatness; Wagga Wagga. Venues for other Sheild matches on during the World Cup are still to be confirmed. Here are the fixtures;

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sheffield-shield-2014-15/content/series/754825.html?template=fixtures

My 10 players to watch out for;

1 - Jordan Silk (Tas) - This kid looks the goods and looks set to have a bumper year, as he presses for higher honours.
2 - Cameron White (Vic) - My guess is that bear will make a shed load of runs, and will be over looked all season for a Test re-call.
3 - Glenn Maxwell (Vic) - The Big Show could well have a huge summer, finishing with the World Cup.
4 - Sam Whiteman (WA) - With the retirement of Brad Haddin looming, a group of potential successors would appear to be led by this fella.
5 - Pat Cummins (NSW) - He's going to stay fit all summer and have a bumper season... or not.
6 - Chris Lynn (QLD) - This one is going to be special.
7 - Nathan Coulter_Nile (WA) - The man with three names will have a biggy this summer.
8 - Nic Maddinson (NSW) _ I reckon he's due to take the next step up and become one of the leading players for NSW.
9 - Mitchell Marsh (WA) - This will be his break out season, especially now that he has a fc double under his belt.
10 - Phil Hughes (SA) - Will make a gazillion runs domestically... again.

Should be a cracking summer. Only about 100 sleeps left!

:box
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Sheffield Shield 2014/15

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 am

A closer look at Victoria for the season ahead shows a lack of depth, somewhat, with a couple of prospects, but little to get too excited about. Last year, Matthew Wade skippered the side, with Cameron White having a stellar season without the burden of captaincy. This season's captain hasn't been announced yet, but surely it must go back to Bear. With Chris Rogers and James Pattinson most likely to be the only Bushrangers in the Test squad, and Aaron Finch & Glenn Maxwell in the ODI & T20I squad, Victoria should have a full strength side for much of the season.

At full strength;

Chris Rogers
Rob Quiney
Aaron Finch
Cameron White (c)
Glenn Maxwell
David Hussey
Matthew Wade
Dan Christian
James Pattinson
Peter Siddle
Fawad Ahmed

Aside from John Hastings, Clint McKay, Peter Handscomb and James Muirhead, the cupboard looks a bit bare. I can't say I heard much in terms of a batting wizz-kid coming through. Marcus Stoinis scored four centuries in the VCA last year for Northcote (Bill Lawry's old club), so he might be a chance at some point. There look to be a couple of batting prospects from my home town team Geelong.

Hopefully last season's woeful form will stay in the past, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd say that David Hussey is in his last season, which is unlikely to see the Vics feature in the last game of the season.

Predicted finished: dead last, I'm afraid, unless Aaron Finch and Glenn Maxwell both have monster seasons with the bat, and our bowlers stay healthy.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:17 am

Only 10 weeks to go until kick-off...

:box

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:28 am

So this starts in a few days. Victoria opens its campaign at home against New South Wales. There doesn't seem to be much news in terms of team selections as yet, but I'm guessing that Twatto will be playing for NSW, who would have to fancy their chances in this game. If James Pattinson and Clint McKay are playing, I still think we'll struggle. For the Blues, I'm expecting break-out seasons from Nic Maddinson and Kurtis Patterson. Hopefully David Hussey can turn back the clock and demonstrate the form that saw him not play a single Test match for Australia.

South Australia will be at home to Queensland. For the Redbacks, Callum Ferguson and Tom Cooper are poised for big seasons. I'll be keeping an eye on Travis Head, who I do look the like of. For the Banana-benders, their embarrassment of riches could see several of their batsmen scoring heavily this season. The Bulls are my tip to win this comp.

In the third game, the Warriors take on the Apple Islanders in probably the match-up of the round. I'll be watching Sam Whiteman closely, since I do believe that a baggygreen is coming his way sooner rather than later. I've not heard what's happening with Shaun Marsh. He'll be a key player for WA when he recovers from his injury. I reckon Michael Klinger is a very shrude signing. Keep an eye out for a kid named Joel Paris. Adam Voges will score a truck load of runs this season. For Tassie, it will be all about Jordan Silk.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:02 pm

With Rogers surely on the way out this must be a big season for Maddinson.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:With Rogers surely on the way out this must be a big season for Maddinson.

The candidates in line to replace Rogers would be; Phil Hughes, Maddinson, and Usman Khawaja. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Twatto might return to the top of the order.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:32 am

Nic Maddinson and Cameron White are both missing from the Shield match in Melbourne, and I've just learned that Chris Lynn is out until the new year. :facepalm

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby Red Devil » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:36 am

from_the_stands wrote:Nic Maddinson and Cameron White are both missing from the Shield match in Melbourne, and I've just learned that Chris Lynn is out until the new year. :facepalm

Lovely, I made a late choice between Sayers and White. Sayers has just taken a hat-trick so it's not looking like a great decision at the moment :no
FL Titles
2008 Ban v NZ ODIs India v Aus Tests India v Eng ODIs
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2011 CMS Cricinfo World Cup County Championship Div 2
2012 Pak v Eng Tests SL v Ind ODIs County Championship Div 2 Champs League T20
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2015 CMS Cricinfo ODI World Cup Eng v NZ combined Natwest T20
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2016 Eng v Pak ODIs (aged 6)
2017 Eng v SA Tests Ind v NZ ODIs
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
2019 NZ v Eng T20s Aus Marsh One Day Cup
2020 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI IPL T20
Red Twins Titles
2021 Aus v Ind Tests (aged 7) Ind v Eng T20s
Red Devil

Team(s) Supported: India, Manchester United

Postby dan08 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:55 pm

"@Vitu_E : Victoria are "dropping" Rogers for their upcoming day-night Shield match (pink ball) because of his colour-blindness."
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby sussexpob » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:26 pm

from_the_stands wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:With Rogers surely on the way out this must be a big season for Maddinson.

The candidates in line to replace Rogers would be; Phil Hughes, Maddinson, and Usman Khawaja. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Twatto might return to the top of the order.

Id like to see Khawaja given another chance, he always looked like he had some potential there. Needed a decent run in the side, because he looked seriously out of confidence last time out.

I guess that was a consistent problem for Australia in recent years. Hughes might have some ability, but if he is always playing like he is a delivery away from being dropped, he isn't going to play well
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby andy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Ah yes, didn't Khawaja make the greatest 36 the world has ever seen on debut, and not lived up to that potential ;)
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:47 am

The third round of Shield matches is underway, with only the ODI players missing the action. After two matches, Queensland are at the foot of the table, which is a bit of a surprise, although it is only early days. In Adelaide, the Vics are being lead by Cameron White, and features Chris Rogers and Peter Siddle, with James Pattinson still out injured. At the Gabba, Queensland are hosting NSW. The Bulls are without Khawaja an Chris Lynn, although they do have Ryan Harris back in their ranks, making his comeback after a long lay-off with his latest injury. And finally WA are away to Tas Vegas, with a few blokes in that game surely eyeing off a berth in the Oz Test team.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:23 am

How did the day/nighters go? Seems as though the matches might have been a bit light on runs... perhaps?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:57 am

Durhamfootman wrote:How did the day/nighters go? Seems as though the matches might have been a bit light on runs... perhaps?

From what I can gather, they don't think it's gone over too well with the players, I don't really know what the crowd numbers were like. There's been some negative feedback in terms of how the pink ball behaved when it was a bit worn. I'm not sure what the plan is regarding more day/night fixtures. If CA are looking to get fans to show up to these matches, perhaps they need to consider having some fixtures in regional centers, which does happen occasionally.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:26 am

With the third round of Shield fixtures almost completed, the Bushies find themselves at the top following their flogging of South Australia. The Vics peeled off the biggest score of the season in their only innings, thanks to centuries from Chris Rogers, and wicket-keeper Peter Handscomb. Peter Siddle took 5 wickets in the second dig for the Sozzies to completely finish them off.

Up in Bris Vegas, the home team took the honours with Ryan Harris bowling them to victory. Joe Burns topped scored in the match with an effort of 183 in the Queensland first innings. Nic Maddinson scored a ton for NSW.

Down in Tassie, the home team are hanging on, but the end is near, with 15 overs left and only 2 overs remaining.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Next

Return to Domestic Cricket