Royal London Cup Discussion Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Royal London Cup Discussion Thread

Postby DeltaAlpha » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:11 pm

D/L wrote:It's entirely sensible that the domestic one day competition should follow the format of the international ones.

I find 50 over cricket more like test cricket and less like Twenty20 than the 40 over version, so I'm in favour of it.

What you're saying there, D/L, is that, compared to a t20, twice as many overs is still similar to a t20, but two and a half times as many is more like a test match. I find that a little hard to swallow, to be frank.

Also, being "entirely sensible" doesn't necessarily attract crowds, does it?
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby hopeforthebest » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:41 pm

DeltaAlpha wrote:
D/L wrote:It's entirely sensible that the domestic one day competition should follow the format of the international ones.

I find 50 over cricket more like test cricket and less like Twenty20 than the 40 over version, so I'm in favour of it.

What you're saying there, D/L, is that, compared to a t20, twice as many overs is still similar to a t20, but two and a half times as many is more like a test match. I find that a little hard to swallow, to be frank.

All one games are contrived by virtue of fielding and bowling restrictions so are far removed from 4 and 5 day games. I prefer 50 over games because at least batsmen have a chance to develope an innings and bowlers have 10 overs to work a batsman out.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:14 pm

That was some rainstorm at Lords.

Full marks to the drainage if they get back out there.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:50 am

Not only got back on but were able to play up to 16 overs too.

:clap

Ten years ago that would have been all over straight after the downpour. Middlesex probably wished that was the case. :)
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:28 am

dan08 wrote:
pompeymeowth wrote:Sussex seem to have been done by Duckworth again, 50 overs reduced to 35 yet their total required is only 56 less than Kent's 299. I just can't see how this is fair.

30 overs at that rate would equal 112 yet the total required is 243, the remaining 5 overs leaving 131.

Kent scored at almost 6 an over, yet Sussex were to score at nearly 7? Madness :stupid

You lost 2 wickets before the rain break though.

No we didn't. We hadn't even batted before 5 overs were lost, with only 14 runs taken from the target. Not sure how that in itself is fair, to suggest with 10 wickets Sussex would have only been able to score at 2.8 runs per over in those extra 5 overs. Not seen many teams bat 50 overs for a 140 in a OD game nowadays.

So we are left with scoring 6.31 runs per in reply to 6 runs per over, and naturally do you not think this means you lose more wickets? The most incredible thing is that, by the time the rain came we were nearly two runs per over over what Kent had scored having lost one more wicket, and the D/L rewarded us with 1.5 extra runs per over to score.

So, in replying to 300, without facing a ball we were asked to score essentially 15 runs more than Kent, were outperforming their innings by 23 runs at the same time gone, and we then rewarded with being given a T20 game with 2 wickets already down, and having to score 160.

Essex scored the most T20 runs in the Blast this season, and this is only 10 runs away from their average, and a higher average rate than every other team in the T20.

If you are batting at over a run a ball in a OD game, batting above the original rate set by the team batting first by a lot, batting about the RR rate, and losing wickets at a rate that would mean you will not be left all out, the answer of the formula is to give a team a rate in response that only 1 team in 18 would score with 10 wickets in a T20 game??

D/L is a load of rubbish, it doesn't work, it gives unfair advantage to keep wickets based on some old fashioned notion that tailenders couldn't bat in the 80's,amd that keeping wickets intact was important in OD games.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby D/L » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:27 am

DeltaAlpha wrote:

When comparing two formats of limited overs cricket, surely the one where more overs are bowled is more like a test match than the other, DA?

The sensible part is about the format better preparing our players for the 50 over ODI format.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby D/L » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 am

sussexpob wrote:
dan08 wrote:
pompeymeowth wrote:Sussex seem to have been done by Duckworth again, 50 overs reduced to 35 yet their total required is only 56 less than Kent's 299. I just can't see how this is fair.

30 overs at that rate would equal 112 yet the total required is 243, the remaining 5 overs leaving 131.

Kent scored at almost 6 an over, yet Sussex were to score at nearly 7? Madness :stupid

No we didn't. We hadn't even batted before 5 overs were lost, with only 14 runs taken from the target. Not sure how that in itself is fair, to suggest with 10 wickets Sussex would have only been able to score at 2.8 runs per over in those extra 5 overs. Not seen many teams bat 50 overs for a 140 in a OD game nowadays.

So we are left with scoring 6.31 runs per in reply to 6 runs per over, and naturally do you not think this means you lose more wickets? The most incredible thing is that, by the time the rain came we were nearly two runs per over over what Kent had scored having lost one more wicket, and the D/L rewarded us with 1.5 extra runs per over to score.

So, in replying to 300, without facing a ball we were asked to score essentially 15 runs more than Kent, were outperforming their innings by 23 runs at the same time gone, and we then rewarded with being given a T20 game with 2 wickets already down, and having to score 160.

Essex scored the most T20 runs in the Blast this season, and this is only 10 runs away from their average, and a higher average rate than every other team in the T20.

If you are batting at over a run a ball in a OD game, batting above the original rate set by the team batting first by a lot, batting about the RR rate, and losing wickets at a rate that would mean you will not be left all out, the answer of the formula is to give a team a rate in response that only 1 team in 18 would score with 10 wickets in a T20 game??

D/L is a load of rubbish, it doesn't work, it gives unfair advantage to keep wickets based on some old fashioned notion that tailenders couldn't bat in the 80's,amd that keeping wickets intact was important in OD games.

It is the result of an entirely mathematical calculation, rightly unaffected by human judgment and bias and, as such, has much to commend it.

Of course, people who support teams that lose on Duckworth/Lewis will complain. They have been doing that for years but the authorities know that no better system could be devised and should continue to ignore the occasional howls of anguish.
D/L

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:03 am

It is the result of an entirely mathematical calculation, rightly unaffected by human judgment and bias and, as such, has much to commend it.

One that is based on a standard average score of 245 for a OD match involving first class sides...... the top scorers in this competition are scoring 312 per 50 overs, so not sure the maths is based on any standard reality, added to the fact it also doesn't at all take conditions in a match into account.

Not really sure why the use of maths is being advocated by you though, a person who has a lot to say about the lack of value of batting averages.

Maybe you can actually explain the maths, its application, and its relevance rather than hide behind generic and contradictory statements?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby pompeymeowth » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:23 am

sussexpob wrote:
dan08 wrote:

Maybe the problem lies with the amount of overs in each format. Perhaps a different scale is needed for each.

My feeling is that it needs to be reviewed, maybe by using the WASP (another entirely mathematical system) somehow, which I remember you D/L, saying was a waste of time recently. As you think that averages and now WASP don't prove anything even though they are mathematically correct, I can only assume that Duckworth appeals to you as being perfect, because it's your choice of username.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Postby D/L » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:27 am

sussexpob wrote:

One that is based on a standard average score of 245 for a OD match involving first class sides...... the top scorers in this competition are scoring 312 per 50 overs, so not sure the maths is based on any standard reality, added to the fact it also doesn't at all take conditions in a match into account.

Not really sure why the use of maths is being advocated by you though, a person who has a lot to say about the lack of value of batting averages.

Maybe you can actually explain the maths, its application, and its relevance rather than hide behind generic and contradictory statements?

Generic? :hmmm

The important point is that it is a mathematical calculation entirely free of bias towards either side and any human judgment of "conditions", whatever that means.

The comparison between the use of Duckworth/Lewis and the value of batting/bowling averages is a typically false one and has no relevance here. Nor, clearly, is there any contradiction.

An explanation of the maths is available on the internet.
D/L

Postby D/L » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:35 am

pompeymeowth wrote:Maybe the problem lies with the amount of overs in each format. Perhaps a different scale is needed for each.

My feeling is that it needs to be reviewed, maybe by using the WASP (another entirely mathematical system) somehow, which I remember you D/L, saying was a waste of time recently. As you think that averages and now WASP don't prove anything even though they are mathematically correct, I can only assume that Duckworth appeals to you as being perfect, because it's your choice of username.

That is entirely coincidental with my initials, pmo (hope I got yours correct).

Use "WASP somehow"? Care to elucidate? WASP is a gimmick used to predict 1st innings scores and the likelihood of a victory for the side batting second. It'd be interesting to know how it could be adapted to replace Duckworth/Lewis.
D/L

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:51 am

The comparison between the use of Duckworth/Lewis and the value of batting/bowling averages is a typically false one and has no relevance here. Nor, clearly, is there any contradiction.

Why. Its a "mathematical calculation entirely free of bias towards either side and any human judgment of "conditions".....

Or are certain types of mathematical calculation faultless, and others are not?

Nor, clearly, is there any contradiction.

Your point is maths is free of human judgement and free of bias, and therefore is perfectly adequate, but limited by its lack of human interpretation, and therefore not adequate.

Contradiction.

Didn't think you could explain it, thanks for that.

sussexpob

Postby D/L » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:10 pm

sussexpob wrote:

Why. Its a "mathematical calculation entirely free of bias towards either side and any human judgment of "conditions".....

Or are certain types of mathematical calculation faultless, and others are not?

Nor, clearly, is there any contradiction.

Your point is maths is free of human judgement and free of bias, and therefore is perfectly adequate, but limited by its lack of human interpretation, and therefore not adequate.

Contradiction.

Didn't think you could explain it, thanks for that.

I really have better things to do.

Clearly, luck plays a part in any player's figures. As far as I'm aware, Duckworth/Lewis assumes that luck will favour each side equally (what else could it do?) and leaves it out of the equation.

The only contradictions appear to be in your comprehension of what you read.
D/L

Postby pompeymeowth » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:52 pm

D/L wrote:
pompeymeowth wrote:Maybe the problem lies with the amount of overs in each format. Perhaps a different scale is needed for each.

That is entirely coincidental with my initials, pmo (hope I got yours correct).

Use "WASP somehow"? Care to elucidate? WASP is a gimmick used to predict 1st innings scores and the likelihood of a victory for the side batting second. It'd be interesting to know how it could be adapted to replace Duckworth/Lewis.

Sorry I meant in conjunction with WASP. I'm not sure how it works or if it is just a gimmick, but I'm the first to admit that I don't understand much about any of the maths involved in such matters. And I did statistics at A level too!

So I can't elucidate, but as you say there's probably an explanation on the net somewhere.

If you need one.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Varun Chopra chooses to bat first when the BBC weather suggests a rain affect game is possible. I hope he won't regret that decision. No Rankin again so he must have picked up an injury playing for the Lions, which has become par for the course.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket