Oz domestic 50 over comp 2014/15

county and domestic cricket around the world

Oz domestic 50 over comp 2014/15

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:27 am

This gets under way this weekend, with Queensland looking to defend their title. CA have scheduled this for the start of the domestic season, which will be followed by the first have of Sheffield Shield matches, then the Big Bash, then the remainder of the Sheffield Shield. I guess it makes sense, although I'd be inclined to hold the entire Sheffield Shield before the New Year, so that it's running side by side the Test series, then hold the One Day tourney, but hold a single round of matches played at home venues (again running side by side the ODI series), then have the Big Bash in late Jan/Feb, thus allowing our international players to take part. For the Big Bash, I would expand that comp to include the Canberra Comets and the Auckland Aces, and allow each team to have 3 imports.

Anyhoo, this comp have Queensland as favourites, largely due to their strong batting line-up, and availability of their players. In Khawaja, Burns, Forest and Lynn, they have a solid top order. It's a bit of a raffle after that. I guess NSW, WA and Tassie are next, with any of those three good enough to win this on their day. The Blues have the advantage of playing the second half of this at home, and do have a squad of seasoned campaigners. The Wuzzies are also strong, now being lead by Adam Voges, who is unlucky not to have played more cricket for Australia. I'm not sure on the health of Shaun Marsh, who seems to be injured almost as often as Shane Watson. At full strength, NSW is basically an international standard outfit. With their internationals missing, they're still pretty decent. Tassie seem to be the perenial under dogs, but write them off at your peril. They are a very dangerous side, with a very talented squad of players. SA and Vic bring up the rear, shockingly. The Sozzies are much more formidable now that they have fabulous Phil, but he's in the UAE, so this time around, they'll have to do without him. Keep an eye on Travis Head, who might just turn a few... err.... heads in this tourney. This Vics will probably come last in this... sigh. Our top order contains Rob Quiney, Matthew Wade, Cameron White, David Hussey and Marcus Stoinis. Other than Stonis, this lot have all represented Australia in various forms of the game. The bowling lets us down, with not much in the cupboard there. We'll also miss Aaron Finch badly. I'd say that we were in more trouble than the early settlers in this comp this season.

With the World Cup at the tail end of the season, quite a few blokes will be trying their guts out to impress the selectors. Those not currently in the UAE but knocking on the door for national selection include the following;

Cameron White - Has the runs on the board and might get the nod should the selectors go for an experienced campaigner.
Adam Voges - Has played for Australia in recent memory and should consider himself unlucky not to be in the UAE.
Chris Lynn - Powered his way through the Big Bash last season and into the T20I side, might do the same in this format.
Shaun Marsh - If he stays off the turps, and off the physio's table, he could be a chance, albeit a remote one.
Tim Paine - This guy could possibly become the comeback international cricketer of the year with Brad Haddin's retirement imminent.
Sam Whiteman - Might just squeeze in if Paine doesn't.
Joe Burns - I have a hunch about this bloke, who is a boss at the crease.
Josh Hazlewood - Has been in the wings for some time, his time to shine might just be around the corner.
Ben Cutting - Does have international experience, although I do feel that he may have slipped down the pecking order somewhat.
Nathan Coulter-Nile - Might sneak in with a stellar domestic season.
Pat Cummins - Might sneak in if he stays fit... yeah, like that's going to happen.

This promises to be an interesting little comp. Bring it on!

"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Oz domestic 50 over comp 2014/15

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Another player to watch out for in this comp is Tom Cooper. With fabulous Phi away in the UAE, he becomes the kingpin for South Australia. His domestic record has been quite good of late, and could be a surprise selection come the World Cup. The down side to him being selected is that similar to other players who have been picked up from Associate nations, they get to play one or two matches before being cast aside, and can't play for their previous team again. For that reason, i kind of hope the Oz selectors leave him alone, like they should have done with Dirk Nannes... as much as I do rate him.

On Saturday, the opening games see NSW take on SA with Qld taking on the Vics. They both promise to be cracking contests. Cricket season is finally upon us!

:box
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:24 am

New South Wales have started their campaign with a win. Nic Maddinson top scored with 84, with Callum Ferguson also amongst the runs with 82. Shaun Tait got belted in his comeback game and took no wickets, with Hazlewood taking 7 and 3 to Gurinder Sandhu. Moises Henriques will possibly get called up to the Oz squad to fill the all-rounder spot.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:26 am

And the Vics got smashed in the other game.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Surprised Shaun Tait can get through a game of fifty over cricket.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:37 pm

It's a shame Sky don't pick up this tournament. I presume they show live games in Oz. Even a highlights package would do.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:34 pm

This the first time that I've shown an interest in the Aus dom comps. It'll be interesting, I think
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Reading this I get the feeling some of my picks will end dnp as they may be away in the UAE. Is there a big overlap?
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Aidan11 wrote:It's a shame Sky don't pick up this tournament. I presume they show live games in Oz. Even a highlights package would do.

Actually they don't. They used to. I think it's a shame that they don't. With the games in the format to this comp over the years, I have long felt that the powers that be in Australia don't really know what to do about this comp. I like the 50 over games, but i do feel that its days may be numbered... which would be a travesty.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:19 pm

from_the_stands wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:It's a shame Sky don't pick up this tournament. I presume they show live games in Oz. Even a highlights package would do.

Actually they don't. They used to. I think it's a shame that they don't. With the games in the format to this comp over the years, I have long felt that the powers that be in Australia don't really know what to do about this comp. I like the 50 over games, but i do feel that its days may be numbered... which would be a travesty.

Don't the cricket board even show these games with limited cameras on their web site? They used to show video of live games on www.cricket.com.au/
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:01 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:

Don't the cricket board even show these games with limited cameras on their web site? They used to show video of live games on http://www.cricket.com.au/

As far as I'm aware, there is no television coverage for this, which is shocking, really. There might be for the final, possibly on the ABC, but I'm not sure.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:43 pm

from_the_stands wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:

Don't the cricket board even show these games with limited cameras on their web site? They used to show video of live games on http://www.cricket.com.au/

As far as I'm aware, there is no television coverage for this, which is shocking, really. There might be for the final, possibly on the ABC, but I'm not sure.

I looked on that site and they are advertising video coverage on today's game.

hopeforthebest

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:36 am

The Vics got biffed again, this time at the hands of Tasmania, who were skippered by Jordan Silk. Keep your eye out for this guy. A stellar season this summer will see him in England with the Aussies next year. Western Australia won their opening game against South Australia. Adam Zampa took 4 wickets for the Sozzies. Sam Whiteman, the man I think will succeed Brad Haddin as early as this summer had his first bat for the season... and went out for a golden duck!

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:20 am

Victoria copped yet another mauling, this time at the hands of Queensland. The Sozzies and Tasmania are playing today, with Tom Cooper and Jordan Silk leading their respective teams. It's actually raining up in Sydney, so this looks to be a reduced game, and possibly even a wash-out.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:42 am

The final of this is on today. Wa are up against NSW. WA made 255 for 6 in their 50 overs, which I don't think will be enough. Twatto is playing in this for NSW. He didn't bowl. Michael Klinger top scored for WA.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Next

Return to Domestic Cricket