County Championship discussion thread 2015

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: County Championship discussion thread 2015

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:42 am

What an ending for Yorkshire! 11 Championship wins and a record number of points. Back in April this would not have been thought of after the ECB took half the Yorkshire XI for flourescent bib wearing training in the Caribbean, along with their disciplinary committee trying to tarnish the reputation of skipper Andrew Gale. If that wasn't enough, the ECB with their dodgy press leaks try to unsettle things by publicly declare their interest in Jason Gillespie as the national head coach before making an official approach.

To overcome all of that and still retain the title at a canter is a phenomenal achievement.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:03 am

Division One side, based on impressions, not having looked at the stats.

Hales
Trescothick
Fell
Taylor
Hildreth
Bairstow
Tim
Patel
Brooks
Rushworth
Edwards
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby westoelad » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:41 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Division One side, based on impressions, not having looked at the stats.

Hales
Trescothick
Fell
Taylor
Hildreth
Bairstow
Tim
Patel
Brooks
Rushworth
Edwards

Tim is I assume Bresnan but which of the Notts Taylor's are you refering too. AndJeetan not Samit Patel I assume. I'd have Harris(Middlesex) in for Edwards-don't think Edwards was here long enough to merit selection.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:54 am

Tim Bresnan, James Taylor, Jeetan Patel.

Fidel had a big infuence on the season of his team, though others took more wickets. I might have Sidebottom if not him. Chris Read would have been a good pick other than Bairstow's great form.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:03 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Tim Bresnan, James Taylor, Jeetan Patel.

Fidel had a big infuence on the season of his team, though others took more wickets. I might have Sidebottom if not him. Chris Read would have been a good pick other than Bairstow's great form.

Fidel was a massive influence. It'll be intersting to see if he can maintain those standards throughout next season-a very difficult task. Will need a mid-season break I suspect.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:05 pm

He is getting on, though regular first class cricket might get him fitter. Don't know if he was just playing T20 before this season.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby pompeymeowth » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:46 pm

sussexpob wrote:I'm onto the fourth litre of beer..... We have been through the anger stage, I've vented to a room of people who don't care at all about teams and places that they have never heard of.

I'm at at defiante but reflective stage. The league doesn't lie, well played Yorkshire, they are too good at the moment. Well played hants too!!!

But get ready because we will be back in 2017

I'm not so confident about that, I think the fast approaching culling of the CC is going to hurt counties like ours. Mark Nicholas must be cock a hoop about how things have turned out. As it stands there'd be no div 2 if he were running the show, Glamorgan definitely included, such is his envy at them getting Ashes cricket.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Postby mikesiva » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:57 pm

Aidan11 wrote:All 10 to the Curran boys now.

:clap
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:19 pm

pompeymeowth wrote:
sussexpob wrote:I'm onto the fourth litre of beer..... We have been through the anger stage, I've vented to a room of people who don't care at all about teams and places that they have never heard of.

I'm at at defiante but reflective stage. The league doesn't lie, well played Yorkshire, they are too good at the moment. Well played hants too!!!

But get ready because we will be back in 2017

I'm not so confident about that, I think the fast approaching culling of the CC is going to hurt counties like ours. Mark Nicholas must be cock a hoop about how things have turned out. As it stands there'd be no div 2 if he were running the show, Glamorgan definitely included, such is his envy at them getting Ashes cricket.

Hard to believe Sussex are relegated when they were title contenders for the last two years. Also having thrashed Yorkshire in the 2013 County Championship opener and both sides still retain most of the players today who started back then.

I reckon Sussex have the personnel to bounce back and survival in 2017 is do-able when half the clubs in Division One have noticeable squad deficiencies of their own, which won't be addressed in the short-term due to an overall lack of county stalwart available.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby westoelad » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Not so hard to believe AP when you remember how many champions have been relegated or fought relegation the following season. Just further evidence why such a competative competition shouldn't be tampered with.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm

westoelad wrote:Not so hard to believe AP when you remember how many champions have been relegated or fought relegation the following season. Just further evidence why such a competative competition shouldn't be tampered with.

Had Yorkshire had our injury list, they may have even been relegated themselves. The only reason Sussex went down was because of an injury list that makes even your worst nightmares slightly understating it. Sussex used 16 recognized bowlers this year, and at one stage were even bowling their keeper for a spell of 8 overs. A bloke with one of the best FC batting averages retired without facing a ball.

At the start of the season they made signings that put them in contention with the existing squad, but the heart was ripped out the team. I think Mago was the only bloke that didnt break down, and he was over bowled to the point of exhaustion. We lost Shehzad, who at the time was probably the stand out bowler in the league, and his injury got worse because we had to rush him back and lost him all year.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:08 pm

One of the biggest annoyances was with Mills though. Seems strange the lad was with Essex all those years, signs a big contract with us, and then Sussex medical team find out instantly he has huge problems and will never bowl. Seems Essex may have covered that up
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Bairstow and Leaning, player and young player of the year. Seems fair enough, though Jack was probably less of a shoo in than Jonny.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:07 am

sussexpob wrote:One of the biggest annoyances was with Mills though. Seems strange the lad was with Essex all those years, signs a big contract with us, and then Sussex medical team find out instantly he has huge problems and will never bowl. Seems Essex may have covered that up

Mills medical problems were well documented when he was at Essex. Sussex were well aware of the risk they were taking when they signed him.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:46 am

westoelad wrote:
sussexpob wrote:One of the biggest annoyances was with Mills though. Seems strange the lad was with Essex all those years, signs a big contract with us, and then Sussex medical team find out instantly he has huge problems and will never bowl. Seems Essex may have covered that up

Mills medical problems were well documented when he was at Essex. Sussex were well aware of the risk they were taking when they signed him.

Sussex knew he had an injury record, and took the risk on a guy who could break down, but its safe to say they wouldn't have offered him a very good contract if they knew he would break down straight away and never bowl in red ball cricket. What was "documented" was the fact he had a back injury the season before, which is not outside the norm, and certainly not indicative that a 21 year old will never play again.

It sounds entirely implausible to me that a professional sportsman can suffer a bad back injury, be monitored by club staff who didn't pick up on the fact that his injury was caused by a narrow spine and was essentially the cricket bowler equivalent of out of control cancer for his career, and then his new club essentially find this out straight away and de facto retire him from the sport.

Either Essex's medical staff where a load of chancers with fake medical degrees, or they knew exactly what condition he was suffering from and covered it up. His spine didn't change shape in two weeks, its a birth defect!!!! In fact, it seems the reason he left was apparently because Essex only offered him risible wage terms because they new he wouldn't be an use in the future, or very little. Probably thought they would do the lad a favour, let him sign a nice deal.

In short, if Sussex knew the whole picture it made no sense to sign him. And I do not believe it is possible that Essex didn't know.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket