2016 Hampshire Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: 2016 Hampshire Thread

Postby st_brendy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:42 pm

Hampshireboi wrote:Warks have declared with a lead of 346. Thought they may bat on a bit to be honest.

The risk of us winning, coupled with there being no incentive for Lancs to chase whatever Warks set them, I think has somewhat forced them into the declaration.

It's good news for us, even if only by a very small amount (realistically, Warks will still avoid defeat from here).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:45 pm

Big, big, big blow losing Ervine. The in-form batsman. The man who can score quickly.

Net 158-5 is not great. Still need another 50 minimum, but ideally another 120 or so. And with Crane coming in for Andrew, we're back to having a bit of a tail again (as shown in the first innings, if Berg doesn't chip in, then they disappear quite quickly).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:47 pm

Net 158-6. Quite simply, our survival relies on Dawson and Crane.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Hampshireboi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Well we are really buggering this up aren't we. Making the wicket seem worse than it is. Need another 50 at the very minimum
Pro 40 Fantasy league guru
Hampshireboi

Postby st_brendy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:50 pm

Warks suddenly regret their declaration :lol:
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Hampshireboi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:51 pm

If Lancs win we still go down though don't we? Let's be honest unless we get another 150 this match isn't going to be a draw!
Pro 40 Fantasy league guru
Hampshireboi

Postby haggishants » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Hampshireboi wrote:If Lancs win we still go down though don't we? Let's be honest unless we get another 150 this match isn't going to be a draw!

Lancs win and Hants draw then Hants stay up.` (But Lancs win highly unlikely).
haggishants

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Hampshireboi wrote:Well we are really buggering this up aren't we. Making the wicket seem worse than it is. Need another 50 at the very minimum

It's been a terrible example of how to make quick runs and set up a target so far.

In keeping with the day overall.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:25 pm

One positive about McManus, he looks like he's got a good head on his shoulders.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:46 pm

Looks like we've pulled this back a bit as the day comes to an end.

If we do get the chance to declare what will we look for? Surely got to set Durham a decent target, say 270/280 from 80 overs?
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:52 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Looks like we've pulled this back a bit as the day comes to an end.

If we do get the chance to declare what will we look for? Surely got to set Durham a decent target, say 270/280 from 80 overs?

I think 80 overs is probably about the right. It's not like we've got Vince and Ervine at the crease, and a bunch of wickets in hand, and smashing 60 off 5 overs therefore becomes a real possibility. There might be a slight increase in run-rate tomorrow morning, but probably not too much. So I'd expect a good 10 - 15 overs of batting still, hence the 40 overs.

NOOO! Dawson out. Joins Adams and Ervine in getting himself out trying to smash spin.
Last edited by st_brendy on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby captaincolly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:52 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Looks like we've pulled this back a bit as the day comes to an end.

I guess it all depends on how long you think you need to get 10 wickets. That sort of equation sounds a good one and I reckon you will have a great chance. There's no point in Durham trying to batten down the hatches at any stage of a run chase. Could go two ways for us - either the lack of pressure on batsmen who know the result doesn't matter will free them up and someone will play a blinder or it'll be the opposite and they'll get themselves out with daft shots - they are good at that!
Perhaps the third possibility is the favourite - our incompetent batting against spin bowlers will lead to a clatter of wickets.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby st_brendy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Not sure I agree with the need for a nightwatchman here. Firstly, it's Berg he's protecting, hardly a frontline batsman. Secondly, we're not exactly in a position to block out overs. Thirdly, dropping down to 10 potentially decreasing what damage he could do with the bat.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Big wicket that, changes things again, we probably won't need to declare now.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:57 pm

captaincolly wrote:

I guess it all depends on how long you think you need to get 10 wickets. That sort of equation sounds a good one and I reckon you will have a great chance. There's no point in Durham trying to batten down the hatches at any stage of a run chase. Could go two ways for us - either the lack of pressure on batsmen who know the result doesn't matter will free them up and someone will play a blinder or it'll be the opposite and they'll get themselves out with daft shots - they are good at that!
Perhaps the third possibility is the favourite - our incompetent batting against spin bowlers will lead to a clatter of wickets.

I think you'll probably chase any target down comfortably with our limited attack.

If you hadn't won your last game, maybe things would have been different.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket