Bloomin' Heck: The Red Rose 2016

county and domestic cricket around the world

Bloomin' Heck: The Red Rose 2016

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Ashley Giles certainly landed at Old Trafford with a bang in 2015 following the departures of Moores and Watkinson. The primary objective was to repair the damage of a humbling 2014 season by getting back to Division 1 and while we fell off towards the end of the season this was ticked off. The T20 Blast trophy, after 16 years of waiting for a bit of limited overs silverware, was the cherry on the cake.

That said, all is not quite as rosy as it could be. 2015 also saw: The retirement of Prince who has been the rock in our line-up for the last few seasons; The departure of Horton, who has fallen off a bit but there is not proven replacement in the squad; The season ending injury of Tom Smith and who knows how much he will play this season; The retirement of Hogg who has been a fantastic performer; The promotion of Buttler to Test keeper meaning he barely played and will likely be the same this year now he has an IPL contract; Another year on the clock for Chapple, at 41 can he play a meaningful part in this season; Another string of failures for Reece.

There were some bright sparks however; The promotion of Hameed to the first team with some success; The emergence of Arron Lilley; Strong seasons with the bat for Brown and Croft; Davies starting to look the real deal; Javis making good on his promise; Kerrigan getting back to winning ways.

There are several areas of concern for us this season which Giles seems to have done little to solve. While the signing of Wagner adds some class to our bowlng, you can’t help but feel that we are still too reliant on Javis and our spinners. The batting continues to look flaky with a lack of proven performers in it, and if Smith can’t make it through a season then this will be a real issue. There is far too much dead weight in the squad.

Staying in Division 1 will be the goal for the year, though that looks tough with their being a distinct lack of weak sides in the top flight this year.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Re: Bloomin' Heck: The Red Rose 2016

Postby westoelad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Certainly looks as if it'll be a tight division but still 2 to be relegated iirc. Early season games on result pitches could be crucial with most Englans players available for a few games. Butler could be available for quite a number of games but whether that’s an asset will depend on how well he adapts to the 4 day game
westoelad

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

westoelad wrote:Certainly looks as if it'll be a tight division but still 2 to be relegated iirc. Early season games on result pitches could be crucial with most Englans players available for a few games. Butler could be available for quite a number of games but whether that’s an asset will depend on how well he adapts to the 4 day game

Unlikely given he'll be at the IPL until towards the end of May, then there is the ODI series against Sti Lank in June / July and Pakistan in August. We'll be lucky to see anything of him this year. Good job Davies is really coming on!
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby westoelad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
westoelad wrote:Certainly looks as if it'll be a tight division but still 2 to be relegated iirc. Early season games on result pitches could be crucial with most Englans players available for a few games. Butler could be available for quite a number of games but whether that’s an asset will depend on how well he adapts to the 4 day game

Unlikely given he'll be at the IPL until towards the end of May, then there is the ODI series against Sti Lank in June / July and Pakistan in August. We'll be lucky to see anything of him this year. Good job Davies is really coming on!

Yeh, forgot he was a Mumbai Indian. You’re welcome to Colonel Mustard if need be :horse
westoelad

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:28 pm

westoelad wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:

Yeh, forgot he was a Mumbai Indian. You’re welcome to Colonel Mustard if need be :horse

I'd welcome Mustard back this season as both back up to Davies and Hameed. We could also do with a bit of added fire power in the limited overs stuff as we've yet to get a replacement for the Faulk in.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby captaincolly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:52 pm

There must be a good chance Mustard will go on loan at some stage this season but almost certainly to a division 2 side. Don't think counties will loan players to teams in the same division although with the Durham management anything is possible.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby westoelad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:07 pm

captaincolly wrote:There must be a good chance Mustard will go on loan at some stage this season but almost certainly to a division 2 side. Don't think counties will loan players to teams in the same division although with the Durham management anything is possible.

Forgeting, of course, it's his benefit season. Hardly the done thing in those circumstances surely?
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:22 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:There must be a good chance Mustard will go on loan at some stage this season but almost certainly to a division 2 side. Don't think counties will loan players to teams in the same division although with the Durham management anything is possible.

Forgeting, of course, it's his benefit season. Hardly the done thing in those circumstances surely?

Yes, I'd forgotten about the benefit year :facepalm He almost certainly won't go out on loan
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Good luck this season, MS, in most of your matches at least.

there should never be a time when Lancs are not in div 1
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:27 am

I suppose the Tests are played in high summer, when the counties play limited overs, so maybe JB can play those, but it's a shame he won't get the four day cricket he needs.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I suppose the Tests are played in high summer, when the counties play limited overs, so maybe JB can play those, but it's a shame he won't get the four day cricket he needs.

It was his choice at the end of the day.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:16 am

Giles has signed a new two year deal which is good news.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Fantastic first three days from the boys, just 86 needed on the morrow to take victory in the first game of the season.

Hope for good weather and some sensible batting.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby captaincolly » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:45 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Fantastic first three days from the boys, just 86 needed on the morrow to take victory in the first game of the season.

Hope for good weather and some sensible batting.

A superb performance by Lancs.
captaincolly

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:03 pm

11 in the match for Wagner. Some debut.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Next

Return to Domestic Cricket