County Championship Division 1 Thread 2016

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: County Championship Division 1 Thread 2016

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:32 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:It was lawful and created a very exciting finale bu I still believe captains arranging the game in this way should be banned. There was a famous example of this in SA involving England some years ago, which turned out to be corrupt. That should have put an end to future arranged endings.

I've always been appalled by contrived results, but this time I was just glad that Somerset's policy of winning the championship by reducing the game to a *modded* nonsense was thwarted.

Hypocritical, I know, but there you have it
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby sussexpob » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Whether this is a convention or not, I would really like someone to explain to me how this is legal and how it is not match fixing? Middlesex had batted themselves into an untenable position. They had a paltry lead and were quickly running out of overs until Gale clearly walked up to the batsman to make a deal. At that point both captains basically agreed to take the most possible natural result out of the equation, and quite clearly Yorkshire placed two terrible bowlers at either end purposefully bowling to give Middlesex runs, and no doubt Middlesex had a target of runs or overs agreed to stop batting. How is this any different to any form of match fixing?

Regardless of fans, championships, and team success both captains and sides owe a debt to the wider sporting integrity and the notions of pure competition. For every Yorkshire fan that wanted to see a victory, there is a Somerset fan that lost out on a championship. So I dont accept that both sides were indebted to artificially find a result.

Could you imagine two managers coming together at 1-0 in a football game, with another result in the bag, and making an agreement that one team will score to equalize the game because it turned out both would make the champions league over a third team should the score remain a draw? Id love to see what would happen if that occurred. Pretty sure everyone involved would never see a pitch again, and would probably see a jail term.

So as I say.... id like an explanation. Why is this not match fixing and why has this been allowed to occur? As far as I see it, both teams should be DSQ'd and Somerset given the title.

Collusion can occur without agreement. Middlesex should have been batting more aggressively to win, a declaration should have been made naturally, and Yorkshire should have targetted that and tried to win. But agreeing on that target is 100% wrong, and I very much doubt its within the laws of the game, and is 100% not within the spirit of the game.

And last time I looked, the laws contain a rather huge clause about actions that are contrary to the spirit of the game being illegal.
Last edited by sussexpob on Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:54 pm

As for entertainment purposes, yeah it was entertaining, but in hindsight I think that really shouldnt matter. Should teams in limited overs cricket be celebrated if they shake on creating a score that leads to an interesting run chase? I would assume the general sporting public would be more concerned with cricket allowing such collusion to occur than being drawn to the exciting conclusion.

I think yesterday was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for the relevance of domestic Englilsh cricket. Its pretty much made itself a laughing stock in competitive sport

I wouldnt know where to start explaining what happened yesterday to a football fan.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:20 pm

sussexpob wrote:Whether this is a convention or not, I would really like someone to explain to me how this is legal and how it is not match fixing? Middlesex had batted themselves into an untenable position. They had a paltry lead and were quickly running out of overs until Gale clearly walked up to the batsman to make a deal. At that point both captains basically agreed to take the most possible natural result out of the equation, and quite clearly Yorkshire placed two terrible bowlers at either end purposefully bowling to give Middlesex runs, and no doubt Middlesex had a target of runs or overs agreed to stop batting. How is this any different to any form of match fixing?

Regardless of fans, championships, and team success both captains and sides owe a debt to the wider sporting integrity and the notions of pure competition. For every Yorkshire fan that wanted to see a victory, there is a Somerset fan that lost out on a championship. So I dont accept that both sides were indebted to artificially find a result.

Could you imagine two managers coming together at 1-0 in a football game, with another result in the bag, and making an agreement that one team will score to equalize the game because it turned out both would make the champions league over a third team should the score remain a draw? Id love to see what would happen if that occurred. Pretty sure everyone involved would never see a pitch again, and would probably see a jail term.

So as I say.... id like an explanation. Why is this not match fixing and why has this been allowed to occur? As far as I see it, both teams should be DSQ'd and Somerset given the title.

Collusion can occur without agreement. Middlesex should have been batting more aggressively to win, a declaration should have been made naturally, and Yorkshire should have targetted that and tried to win. But agreeing on that target is 100% wrong, and I very much doubt its within the laws of the game, and is 100% not within the spirit of the game.

And last time I looked, the laws contain a rather huge clause about actions that are contrary to the spirit of the game being illegal.

I've made many of these points myself many times, but I've generally found myself in the minority
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:45 pm

I wonder if anyone actually believes that had any other two sides being involved in such a situation on the final day that they would have not done the exact same thing?

Equally, I wonder if anyone actually thinks this will be a talking point when next season starts, or even in a week or two?

It's almost as if people have developed a very selective memory and suddenly have never encountered the idea of declaration bowling before.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:05 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I wonder if anyone actually believes that had any other two sides being involved in such a situation on the final day that they would have not done the exact same thing?

Equally, I wonder if anyone actually thinks this will be a talking point when next season starts, or even in a week or two?

It's almost as if people have developed a very selective memory and suddenly have never encountered the idea of declaration bowling before.

You are probably correct splinters in saying any two other teams in a similar situation would do the same but that's not the point. The point is they shouldn't be allowed to arrange things in that way. The grey line between corrupt practice and lawful arrangements is too inviting for some.A couple of batsmen from the team batting second could have contacted a bookie or a couple of bowlers on the fielding side tried something. There's a can of worms ready to be opened in those situations. It could also be seen as unsporting behaviour with two teams conniving against another team.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:01 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:I wonder if anyone actually believes that had any other two sides being involved in such a situation on the final day that they would have not done the exact same thing?

You are probably correct splinters in saying any two other teams in a similar situation would do the same but that's not the point. The point is they shouldn't be allowed to arrange things in that way. The grey line between corrupt practice and lawful arrangements is too inviting for some.A couple of batsmen from the team batting second could have contacted a bookie or a couple of bowlers on the fielding side tried something. There's a can of worms ready to be opened in those situations. It could also be seen as unsporting behaviour with two teams conniving against another team.

I really don't see the problem, the declaration set up a situation where either side could have won and that's happened plenty of times before without any umbridge being caused.. If Yorkshire were out of the race then agreed the same, I would see the problem with that.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:56 pm

sussexpob wrote:Whether this is a convention or not, I would really like someone to explain to me how this is legal and how it is not match fixing? Middlesex had batted themselves into an untenable position. They had a paltry lead and were quickly running out of overs until Gale clearly walked up to the batsman to make a deal. At that point both captains basically agreed to take the most possible natural result out of the equation, and quite clearly Yorkshire placed two terrible bowlers at either end purposefully bowling to give Middlesex runs, and no doubt Middlesex had a target of runs or overs agreed to stop batting. How is this any different to any form of match fixing?

West Germany 1-0 Austria 1982
Sweden 2-2 Denmark 2004

The first led to a change in the rules which were then exploited in the second.
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:

I really don't see the problem, the declaration set up a situation where either side could have won and that's happened plenty of times before without any umbridge being caused.. If Yorkshire were out of the race then agreed the same, I would see the problem with that.

That's true declarations do take place which offer the opponent a chance but they don't first have every tom. *modded* and harry bowling rubbish to create a total to aim at. A normal 3rd innings declaration tempting the opponent to risk going for it is acceptable because the two captains don't first get together about the decision.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:45 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:

That's true declarations do take place which offer the opponent a chance but they don't first have every tom. *modded* and harry bowling rubbish to create a total to aim at. A normal 3rd innings declaration tempting the opponent to risk going for it is acceptable because the two captains don't first get together about the decision.

I'd dispute some of that, Hope. Declaration bowling has been going on for decades, our current bowling coach scored a ton in 20 odd minutes 20 years ago off it and there are many times its happened since. Yorkshire have a past history of this themselves, a couple of seasons back they did much the same in Scarborough against Gloucs and chased down the target set.

So can we all stop pretending this game was a unique turn of events.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby st_brendy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:37 pm

I've got absolutely no issue with declaration bowling. Back in 2005, when we actually had a rare chance of winning the title, we were one of three sides in the race together with Notts and Kent. The latter two took each other on in the penultimate round of matches, with Kent needing a victory to keep them in the race, and us needing Notts not to win to keep us in the race (with a final week showdown between us and Notts to come). But knowing full well that Kent needed to beat them, and that a victory for them would hand them the title, Notts kept on batting and batting in their 2nd innings. They ultimately set Kent a stupidly high score with not a massive amount of time to get it (something like 420 off 70 overs - and this was over a decade ago remember, when t20 had only just been invented), and Kent got bowled out horribly attempting to go after it - thereby screwing us over in the process.

Now of course I am biased, but I think I have more justification at being annoyed at Kent having a go at chasing that (and continuing to have a go at that, throughout their innings - rather than accepting at any point that it was over, and turning to try and salvage a draw) than a Somerset fan being annoyed at what Middlesex and Yorkshire did. In the case of the latter, it was a decision to give both of those sides a chance of the title. In the former, it was handing Notts the title on a plate.

(But whilst I don't have any issue at all with what Yorkshire and Middlesex did, I do hope for the sake of Somerset's fans that they're not sitting here in 11 years time still looking back on this season, without a Championship title in the meantime, all bitter and twisted :| )
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Precisely

Yesterday's contrived target meant all three results was possible instead of one and Yorkshire could have batted out for the draw if they wanted to, 10 wickets in 40 overs is not a given by any means.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:35 pm

You can circle around this subject as much as you like but you'll never get away from the fact that the captain of the team batting in the 3rd innings deciding off his bat to declare the innings closed is entirely different to both captains getting together and agreeing a contrived way forward.

hopeforthebest

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:26 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:You can circle around this subject as much as you like but you'll never get away from the fact that the captain of the team batting in the 3rd innings deciding off his bat to declare the innings closed is entirely different to both captains getting together and agreeing a contrived way forward.

I completely agree
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:30 pm

There is nothing wrong with a captain saying "I think we've got enough"

pretty sure that Leics scored 200 and odd off about 12 overs a few years ago..... with 2 opening bats doing the bowling.....and I think they still lost

members are paying good money for the cricket they watch and should never have to expect getting that sort of sh1t
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL