Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:45 am

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Extended video of Look North feature. Supporters are quite bitter toward FTECB but need to move on! Cheers Graham.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41338668

Yes! Not very cheery stuff. :lol:
One of those seasons I think most people will be glad to see the back of.

BBC Sport also report the 3 re-signings are only for 1 year. Probably a lack of believe on both sides.

Sounds like it. It's probably a wise decision - although it'd be typical if at least one of them had a brilliant season next year and then joined Notts or Sorry!

Bookies should give you canny odds for that.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:03 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Extended video of Look North feature. Supporters are quite bitter toward FTECB but need to move on! Cheers Graham.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41338668

Yes! Not very cheery stuff. :lol:
One of those seasons I think most people will be glad to see the back of.

BBC Sport also report the 3 re-signings are only for 1 year. Probably a lack of believe on both sides.

Sounds like it. It's probably a wise decision - although it'd be typical if at least one of them had a brilliant season next year and then joined Notts or Sorry!

Bookies should give you canny odds for that.

Yep! Strange things happen in this game but surely not as strange as that!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Interesting comments from Martin Emmerson in his match notes ahead of tomorrow's game. He writes that Coughlin's departure came as a shock because a few weeks earlier Durham believed he was going to sign a new deal and may even have had a press release prepared. He also claims that the club didn't know he had decided to leave until they were contacted by the press team from Notts!

Emmerson reckons Jennings is going and the club are just waiting to announce it and he also implies Onions is likely to go as well.

Apparently Durham have been criticised on social media by friends & family of Hickey over his release but says that even if he'd played the one extra game needed to automatically upgrade is contract to a professional one it would have only have been until the end of the season and there were " no plans " to retain him.

He mentions Latham returning and possibly getting a captaincy position - I guess it'll be for white ball cricket although Wellock implied the other day that Colly may be tiring of having to do the job, so maybe he will hand over to Latham full time?

I've thought for a while the club were delaying announcing a new deal for Colly so they could have some good news to announce alongside the bad so my guess if they'll announce it when they confirm Jennings is off. Unless he is having second thoughts about staying on, unlikely but everything seems unpredictable these days.
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Jennings can go with my blessing

Bunny too, and with my thanks. If he thinks he can extend his playing career a bit longer somewhere else then I wish him every joy of it
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Jennings can go with my blessing

Bunny too, and with my thanks. If he thinks he can extend his playing career a bit longer somewhere else then I wish him every joy of it

Only thing with him is - would it be more of a risk to give him the 2 year deal he wants ( given his age ) or to not give him it in the hope we can find someone of the required standard to replace him?
Despite the FTECB salary cap we must have cash to spare but if Bunny goes we're going to have to try and find a top class bowler as well as an opener / number 3 to replace Jennings.
Scary thing for me is if Coggers, Jennings and Onions were all staying I'd still have thought we'd have needed to make a couple of good ( proven players as opposed to journeymen types ) signings!
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:18 pm

I'd rather they all went, rather than us *modded* about trying to placate them all the time. This seems to be the reason why we gave Coggers the T20 captaincy, but he was hopeless at it, as hopeless as Stonemercenary was... and we lost them both anyway, so why bother

I'd rather concentrate on those players who are committed to the club.

It was fair enough to try and keep these boys when we thought (foolishly, as it turns out) that we were in with a chance of bouncing back straight away.... but now I think that it's more important that we focus our (diminished) resources on the players who see their long term future at the club, rather than those who think we'll do for a bit longer in the hope that a better offer comes along from somewhere else
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby westoelad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Am I a cynic or is it coincidence that Onions starts bending his back a few games before the end of the season when no contract has been offered and then reverts to type when he realises he's not getting the contract he wants?
As a 35 year old with a chronic back condition does he, or his advisors, really think it would be in his best interests to subject his body to a full season involving 3 forms of cricket especially considering the modern physical demands of fielding especially in T20 cricket. Can't believe that they can be that dumb.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:I'd rather they all went, rather than us *modded* about trying to placate them all the time. This seems to be the reason why we gave Coggers the T20 captaincy, but he was hopeless at it, as hopeless as Stonemercenary was... and we lost them both anyway, so why bother

I'd rather concentrate on those players who are committed to the club.

It was fair enough to try and keep these boys when we thought (foolishly, as it turns out) that we were in with a chance of bouncing back straight away.... but now I think that it's more important that we focus our (diminished) resources on the players who see their long term future at the club, rather than those who think we'll do for a bit longer in the hope that a better offer comes along from somewhere else

That's probably the best thing to do. If Emmerson is right it appears as if Coughlin has given us the run around by giving the impression he was going to stay only to suddenly change his mind and let Notts break the news. That sort of behaviour is unacceptable - although chances are his agent is the real villain.
westoelad wrote:Am I a cynic or is it coincidence that Onions starts bending his back a few games before the end of the season when no contract has been offered and then reverts to type when he realises he's not getting the contract he wants?
As a 35 year old with a chronic back condition does he, or his advisors, really think it would be in his best interests to subject his body to a full season involving 3 forms of cricket especially considering the modern physical demands of fielding especially in T20 cricket. Can't believe that they can be that dumb.

That's true. Durham wanting him to focus on the red ball game was probably designed to prolong his career.
captaincolly

Postby wearside willow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:07 am

Marty who normally says nothing until it is signed and sealed by the club has mentioned a few things recently. I noticed he asked Lewis in an interview about Latham taking the captaincy and got rebuked but he must have got the info of a decent source. He has mentioned Gidman a couple of times as if its a done deal.
Not sure about the Coggers story I put on here a couple week or so before it broke that Notts and Hampshire where in for him and I had been told by a Riverside regular so the story was out then.I can't believe the club where not aware there was a decent chance he was off.
wearside willow

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 am

wearside willow wrote:Marty who normally says nothing until it is signed and sealed by the club has mentioned a few things recently. I noticed he asked Lewis in an interview about Latham taking the captaincy and got rebuked but he must have got the info of a decent source. He has mentioned Gidman a couple of times as if its a done deal.
Not sure about the Coggers story I put on here a couple week or so before it broke that Notts and Hampshire where in for him and I had been told by a Riverside regular so the story was out then.I can't believe the club where not aware there was a decent chance he was off.

Incompetence could be a factor in the club being taken by surprise. They genuinely seemed surprised when Rocky and Borthwick went too so whoever is negotiating deals is either hopeless at picking up signs or is just bluffing and blustering hoping things will be OK.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:08 am

Confirmation that Onions is leaving.
http://www.durhamccc.co.uk/news/onions-to-leave-Durham/
If this statement is accurate then it appears as if the club may not be at fault - suggests a one year deal with the option of a further year was offered provided there were no serious injury problems but he wanted 2 years plus a guaranteed coaching role.
A real shambles but I'm not sure if the club could agree to those terms - although I might have done!
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:24 am

captaincolly wrote:Confirmation that Onions is leaving.
If this statement is accurate then it appears as if the club may not be at fault - suggests a one year deal with the option of a further year was offered provided there were no serious injury problems but he wanted 2 years plus a guaranteed coaching role.
A real shambles but I'm not sure if the club could agree to those terms - although I might have done!

After the Harmi shambles the club are understandably wary of awarding lengthy contracts to injury prone veterans. I'm very disappointed in Onions refusing a conditional clause in a 2nd year extension. Wholly unreasonable on his part imo. I'm sorry it's come to this. Cheerio Bunny.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 am

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Confirmation that Onions is leaving.

After the Harmi shambles the club are understandably wary of awarding lengthy contracts to injury prone veterans. I'm very disappointed in Onions refusing a conditional clause in a 2nd year extension. Wholly unreasonable on his part imo. I'm sorry it's come to this. Cheerio Bunny.

Yes, it looks to have been a fair offer so for once I don't think the club are at fault in this - unless there is more to it than this statement is revealing.
captaincolly

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am

Kent were able to offer him what he wanted and Durham wouldn't budge on the one year offer.

He's been a good servant. Good luck to him.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby st_brendy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am

I read this morning that he was off to Lancs? (They won't have Jarvis next season, I think?)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket