Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:45 pm

For anyone interested in local league cricket The Durham and North East Cricket society are hosting a meeting to be addressed by Harry Pearson entitled "Professionals of the Northern Leagues".

Harry is a North East based freelance sports writer and award winning author whose cricket books include "Slipless in Settle" (2011 MCC Book of the Year),"The Trundlers" ,a celebration of slow medium pacers ,and "Connie" a biography of Sir Learie Constantine.He has written for 'When Saturday comes' for 20 years and was a columnist for The Guardian for many years.

The meeting is to be held at The Colin Milburn Lounge, Emirates Durham . Chester le Street commencing at 7:30 pm on Thursday 1st February.

There is no charge for entry but there is a raffle.
User avatar
southwood
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:47 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:http://www.durhamccc.co.uk/news-and-media/durham-county-cricket-club-strong-position-look-forward-2018/
This appears to be good news. As ever I don't understand the details. Key thing for me is are they in a strong enough position to offer competitive salaries to players who might be wanted by other clubs and to also make the required signings ahead of next season to boost our chances of going back into div 1? I know the best players won't be keen on coming to a div 2 side but there must be a good few ( probably Kolpak or other 'unofficial' overseas players ) available.
And yet we made two signings months ago and there has been no sign of any significant others.

Salary bill has been further decreased don't forget by the departure of Onions and Jennings, both presumably on big money; also half Colly's salary who has been seconded to FTECB for the whole of the winter.
I'd only be attracted by a Kolpak if he was Simon Harmer or Jofra Archer standard-and they'll be out there and available. Can't see any domestic rejects being worthwhile.
I'm prepared to start with the status quo. Bunny and Coughlin are injury prone and Jennings was a car crash from May onwards. Honestly think Smith,Rimmington and Jones will be better. Keep the faith and FTECB.


:thumb
User avatar
southwood
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:47 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:http://www.durhamccc.co.uk/news-and-media/durham-county-cricket-club-strong-position-look-forward-2018/
This appears to be good news. As ever I don't understand the details. Key thing for me is are they in a strong enough position to offer competitive salaries to players who might be wanted by other clubs and to also make the required signings ahead of next season to boost our chances of going back into div 1? I know the best players won't be keen on coming to a div 2 side but there must be a good few ( probably Kolpak or other 'unofficial' overseas players ) available.
And yet we made two signings months ago and there has been no sign of any significant others.

Salary bill has been further decreased don't forget by the departure of Onions and Jennings, both presumably on big money; also half Colly's salary who has been seconded to FTECB for the whole of the winter.
I'd only be attracted by a Kolpak if he was Simon Harmer or Jofra Archer standard-and they'll be out there and available. Can't see any domestic rejects being worthwhile.
I'm prepared to start with the status quo. Bunny and Coughlin are injury prone and Jennings was a car crash from May onwards. Honestly think Smith,Rimmington and Jones will be better. Keep the faith and FTECB.


:thumb
User avatar
southwood
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:02 pm

southwood wrote:For anyone interested in local league cricket The Durham and North East Cricket society are hosting a meeting to be addressed by Harry Pearson entitled "Professionals of the Northern Leagues".

Harry is a North East based freelance sports writer and award winning author whose cricket books include "Slipless in Settle" (2011 MCC Book of the Year),"The Trundlers" ,a celebration of slow medium pacers ,and "Connie" a biography of Sir Learie Constantine.He has written for 'When Saturday comes' for 20 years and was a columnist for The Guardian for many years.

The meeting is to be held at The Colin Milburn Lounge, Emirates Durham . Chester le Street commencing at 7:30 pm on Thursday 1st February.

There is no charge for entry but there is a raffle.

He's also wrote "The Far Corner", the football equivalent of"Slipless". His description of a drizzly day at Horden in "Slipless" is a classic. I'd recommend membership of the Cricket Society but have fought shy of attending the local meetings fearing it may be dominated by that same cantankerous group who occupy the members lounge on match days.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5745
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 pm

westoelad wrote:
southwood wrote:For anyone interested in local league cricket The Durham and North East Cricket society are hosting a meeting to be addressed by Harry Pearson entitled "Professionals of the Northern Leagues".

Harry is a North East based freelance sports writer and award winning author whose cricket books include "Slipless in Settle" (2011 MCC Book of the Year),"The Trundlers" ,a celebration of slow medium pacers ,and "Connie" a biography of Sir Learie Constantine.He has written for 'When Saturday comes' for 20 years and was a columnist for The Guardian for many years.

The meeting is to be held at The Colin Milburn Lounge, Emirates Durham . Chester le Street commencing at 7:30 pm on Thursday 1st February.

There is no charge for entry but there is a raffle.


He's also wrote "The Far Corner", the football equivalent of"Slipless". His description of a drizzly day at Horden in "Slipless" is a classic. I'd recommend membership of the Cricket Society but have fought shy of attending the local meetings fearing it may be dominated by that same cantankerous group who occupy the members lounge on match days.


Not that I have seen. There may be one or two but come along and see for yourself. You will be most welcome. Membership is an option if you like it . You will also get a 8 newsletters on matters cricket plus 2x72 page Journals a year full of well written articles on cricket matters.
User avatar
southwood
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Hetton Lyonss have posted on their Instagram apparently that Jack Burnham is playing for them next season presumably with NEPL & ECB approval. Anyone whose familiar with such technology provide a link?
westoelad
 
Posts: 5745
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:17 pm

westoelad wrote:Hetton Lyonss have posted on their Instagram apparently that Jack Burnham is playing for them next season presumably with NEPL & ECB approval. Anyone whose familiar with such technology provide a link?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeTeK0lBpTV ... tonlyonscc

I think this is it!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24358
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:32 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Hetton Lyonss have posted on their Instagram apparently that Jack Burnham is playing for them next season presumably with NEPL & ECB approval. Anyone whose familiar with such technology provide a link?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeTeK0lBpTV ... tonlyonscc

I think this is it!

Thanks. Whilst the lad has been foolish in the extreme banning him from all cricket was hardly going to aid his rehabilitation.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5745
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Hetton Lyonss have posted on their Instagram apparently that Jack Burnham is playing for them next season presumably with NEPL & ECB approval. Anyone whose familiar with such technology provide a link?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeTeK0lBpTV ... tonlyonscc

I think this is it!

Thanks. Whilst the lad has been foolish in the extreme banning him from all cricket was hardly going to aid his rehabilitation.

I agree. Having something to focus on should help him. If he has learned a lesson and can devote his energies to playing then he's still young enough to fulfil his potential.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24358
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:11 pm

Some rather cryptic and bitter comments from Onions in today's Cricket Paper
"I do think the club will struggle for a little while now....They will have to become a bit more professional They will need a bit more direction from certain leaders in their squad. I think they need more from coach Jon Lewis to give them that belief and direction....".
Incredibly he then goes on to say he hopes to go back to Durham in a few years in a coaching capacity!!!
Really Graham?
westoelad
 
Posts: 5745
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm

westoelad wrote:Some rather cryptic and bitter comments from Onions in today's Cricket Paper
"I do think the club will struggle for a little while now....They will have to become a bit more professional They will need a bit more direction from certain leaders in their squad. I think they need more from coach Jon Lewis to give them that belief and direction....".
Incredibly he then goes on to say he hopes to go back to Durham in a few years in a coaching capacity!!!
Really Graham?

Very strange comments from him and extraordinary to follow them up by expressing a wish to return one day!
I wonder who the "certain leaders" in their squad refers to.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24358
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:42 pm

They can only refer to Colly as he's the only remaining player able to provide leadership. Onion is correct-if the club captain is on business elsewhere throughout the close season it will result in a lack of leadership. I suspect that the main reason for Jennings departure was a lack of quality batting coaching provision at Durham which would have been provided unofficially in Benks and Divos day. Lewis,s inadequacies become clear during white ball cricket when Colly is no longer providing the guidance. Onions is obviously bitter but he was offered a contract for a 2nd year provisionally and it would be unreasonable to expect a coaching role when a vacancy didn't existing. His comments are probably true but bizarre if he was holding ambitions for a coaching role at Durham in the future.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5745
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm

personnel at the club will change over time, so he may well be able to come back in a coaching capacity at some stage in the future. He has, after all, been a terrific servant to the club over many years.
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 34470
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm

westoelad wrote:They can only refer to Colly as he's the only remaining player able to provide leadership. Onion is correct-if the club captain is on business elsewhere throughout the close season it will result in a lack of leadership. I suspect that the main reason for Jennings departure was a lack of quality batting coaching provision at Durham which would have been provided unofficially in Benks and Divos day. Lewis,s inadequacies become clear during white ball cricket when Colly is no longer providing the guidance. Onions is obviously bitter but he was offered a contract for a 2nd year provisionally and it would be unreasonable to expect a coaching role when a vacancy didn't existing. His comments are probably true but bizarre if he was holding ambitions for a coaching role at Durham in the future.

Yep. His comments do not seem far fetched - Colly away half the year and Lewis a rather hapless character. I suppose though those two also were the ones who decided not to accept his terms for a new contract so he has reason to be annoyed with them.
As you say though, it's as if he's burning bridges and then suggesting he'll be the one to rebuild them!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 24358
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:54 pm

I found it an interesting exercise to go back to the start of this thread, just to see just how utterly delusional we all were 10 months ago

almost as delusional as thinking that because Australia had a fairly poor batting line up, that England had a half decent chance of winning an ashes match down under
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 34470
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests