Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:36 pm

captaincolly wrote:I see the batsman who scored 88 in the 2 day Ashes warmup game has a Durham connection.

like most of the England team, then
Last edited by Durhamfootman on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 29543
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC
I've given up football

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:I see the batsman who scored 88 in the 2 day Ashes warmup game has a Durham connection.
Josh Philippe, a 20-year-old who has played for Durham’s seconds while playing club cricket in Newcastle, had given England a mighty fright in the morning session, which brought just one wicket and 124 runs in 25 overs, as the seamers lacked both line and length. Philippe feasted, especially on the drive, until his greed saw him stumped in the over after lunch for 88 trying to hit Ma

like most of the England team, then

:lol:
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 pm

westoelad wrote:Who needs Stephen Cook when we've signed Michael Anthony Jones apparently!
Who?
He's a 19 year old from Ormskirk. As well as scoring 179* for Scotland A v Durham II's he's been doing the 2nd XI circuit scoring freely for Durham,Derby and Leics averaging about 50.Sounds promising!
But ssh! It's obviously a Durham secret.


Was an umpire early in the season when he was playing playing for a Scotland A side in a warm up before the Durham match. Very powerful and lots of promise. Let's hope that he can make the leap to 1st Class.No secret -suspect that one K. Coetzer is involved somewhere in this too.
User avatar
southwood
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Both Harding and Harte photographed back in training so presumably they've been retained.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5187
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:46 pm

westoelad wrote:Both Harding and Harte photographed back in training so presumably they've been retained.

Good work! Have to be a detective to find out who is staying given there's never a confirmation from the club.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Clark developing into an all-rounder and good experience for all 3.
http://www.durhamccc.co.uk/news/durham-trio-down-under/
westoelad
 
Posts: 5187
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:24 pm

westoelad wrote:Clark developing into an all-rounder and good experience for all 3.
http://www.durhamccc.co.uk/news/durham-trio-down-under/

Excellent-for once an informative website report. I didn't know Clark bowled - must be more than decent though because I think the standard over there is pretty good.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby southwood » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 pm

southwood wrote:
westoelad wrote:Who needs Stephen Cook when we've signed Michael Anthony Jones apparently!
Who?
He's a 19 year old from Ormskirk. As well as scoring 179* for Scotland A v Durham II's he's been doing the 2nd XI circuit scoring freely for Durham,Derby and Leics averaging about 50.Sounds promising!
But ssh! It's obviously a Durham secret.


Was an umpire early in the season when he was playing playing for a Scotland A side in a warm up before the Durham match. Very powerful and lots of promise. Let's hope that he can make the leap to 1st Class.No secret -suspect that one K. Coetzer is involved somewhere in this too.


http://www.cricketscotland.com/michael- ... september/

Former Lancs Academy too.
http://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABASE/A ... 3185.shtml
User avatar
southwood
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 am

An unsurprising but still worrying comment from George Dobell on cricinfo - he writes that Wood is not a candidate to replace the injured Finn in the Ashes squad because " It is understood that...(he's) still not considered fully fit."
Perhaps it means the most recent injury means he is playing catchup in terms of gym work etc but if the actual injury is still an issue it must be yet again a major concern.
Imo Durham should assume he won't be available next year as they are assembling the squad and regard any appearances by him as a bonus.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Seems to be increasing speculation that a police decision on Stokes is expected this week and then the FTECB punishment will be a two test ban.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

captaincolly wrote:An unsurprising but still worrying comment from George Dobell on cricinfo - he writes that Wood is not a candidate to replace the injured Finn in the Ashes squad because " It is understood that...(he's) still not considered fully fit."
Perhaps it means the most recent injury means he is playing catchup in terms of gym work etc but if the actual injury is still an issue it must be yet again a major concern.
Imo Durham should assume he won't be available next year as they are assembling the squad and regard any appearances by him as a bonus.

If he's not considered fully fit what's he doing in the Lions squad due to fly to Australia at the weekend? So FTECB are admitting they've selected an unfit player to go on tour, selected him for 2 back to back tests when he was still in rehab and subjected him to surgery 3 times without successful outcome. Medical litigation people will be queueing up to take on Wood's case.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5187
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:18 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:An unsurprising but still worrying comment from George Dobell on cricinfo - he writes that Wood is not a candidate to replace the injured Finn in the Ashes squad because " It is understood that...(he's) still not considered fully fit."
Perhaps it means the most recent injury means he is playing catchup in terms of gym work etc but if the actual injury is still an issue it must be yet again a major concern.
Imo Durham should assume he won't be available next year as they are assembling the squad and regard any appearances by him as a bonus.

If he's not considered fully fit what's he doing in the Lions squad due to fly to Australia at the weekend? So FTECB are admitting they've selected an unfit player to go on tour, selected him for 2 back to back tests when he was still in rehab and subjected him to surgery 3 times without successful outcome. Medical litigation people will be queueing up to take on Wood's case.

Yes, the handling has been appalling. I suppose they could add him to the Ashes squad depending on how he starts the Lions tour ( assuming he is still going!)
There must be an issue though because surely he'd be a better bet than Tom Curran as Finn's replacement. I think I'd have called in Plunkett ( assuming he's fit) if Wood is not an option. In fact I'd have had Plunkett in the squad in any case.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby westoelad » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:27 pm

captaincolly wrote:Seems to be increasing speculation that a police decision on Stokes is expected this week and then the FTECB punishment will be a two test ban.

There's no way he could be ready to play test cricket before the 3rd test anyway so an immediate 2 test ban is meaningless but highly convenient. I thought the purpose of having a lions squad in Aussie was that they'd have ready made replacements on site without a need for call ups.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5187
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby captaincolly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:37 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Seems to be increasing speculation that a police decision on Stokes is expected this week and then the FTECB punishment will be a two test ban.

There's no way he could be ready to play test cricket before the 3rd test anyway so an immediate 2 test ban is meaningless but highly convenient. I thought the purpose of having a lions squad in Aussie was that they'd have ready made replacements on site without a need for call ups.

That would have been the sensible option.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 22074
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:45 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:An unsurprising but still worrying comment from George Dobell on cricinfo - he writes that Wood is not a candidate to replace the injured Finn in the Ashes squad because " It is understood that...(he's) still not considered fully fit."
Perhaps it means the most recent injury means he is playing catchup in terms of gym work etc but if the actual injury is still an issue it must be yet again a major concern.
Imo Durham should assume he won't be available next year as they are assembling the squad and regard any appearances by him as a bonus.

If he's not considered fully fit what's he doing in the Lions squad due to fly to Australia at the weekend? So FTECB are admitting they've selected an unfit player to go on tour, selected him for 2 back to back tests when he was still in rehab and subjected him to surgery 3 times without successful outcome. Medical litigation people will be queueing up to take on Wood's case.

When he's being paid £700K a year (or whatever it is) for sitting on his @rse, I doubt he'll be wanting to rock the boat
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 29543
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC
I've given up football

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests