Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:30 pm

westoelad wrote: Probably need to go kolpak for an experienced seamer-not ideal but FTECB have forced that upon us.

not for me

besides Brexit might complicate all that sort of thing

I think the days of the kolpak are coming to an end and it'll the be the clubs who don't abuse that particular loophole who'll weather it all the best.

I'd have no probs with a quality overseas bowler coming in for the first half of the season, with Latham coming back for the second half
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:According to Lewis the press reports about Jennings and Notts haven't been entirely accurate and Keaton has told him he hasn't yet decided on his future. Now maybe the reason he hasn't decided is because he doesn't know what he'll do if Notts don't go up but Lewis says he trusts him as a man of his word and I agree.
Still think it's highly unlikely he'll stay but I'm often wrong. Decision coming very soon on Onions according to Lewis.

I'd have severe reservations about either Onions or Jennings staying.Jennings poor form has been almost season long and it's looking increasingly as if 2016 was an aberration. Plus he's clearly indicating that Durham are his 2nd choice. How committed would he be if he stayed?
Likewise how committed would Onions be when he hasn't been given the 2 year contract he craved but couldn't justify. Disappointed that Hickey has been released but if rumours of him not confirming are true then so be it. Probably need to go kolpak for an experienced seamer-not ideal but FTECB have forced that upon us.

Yeah, very tricky now with Onions and Jennings - his form has been so woeful that there must be a chance last year was , as you say , an abberation.
Agree about Kolpak and it being the fault of FTECB. No chance of recruiting what we need from the county setup.
Other problem is the spin - Pringle's new deal doesn't change the fact that he seems to be a bits and pieces type who doesn't score enough runs to be regarded as a batsman who bowls or take enough wickets to be a bowler who bats.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
westoelad wrote: Probably need to go kolpak for an experienced seamer-not ideal but FTECB have forced that upon us.

not for me

I think the days of the kolpak are coming to an end and it'll the be the clubs who don't abuse that particular loophole who'll weather it all the best.

I'd have no probs with a quality overseas bowler coming in for the first half of the season, with Latham coming back for the second half

I think New Zealand have a light schedule next year so if he comes back Latham probably will be here from the start or near enough to it.
Some talk also that he may captain the one sides.
captaincolly

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Nor would I have a problem with Durham signing a couple of experienced county pro's to bolster our batting at the top of the order
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby westoelad » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 pm

captaincolly wrote:We won't know if they're true or not but all rumours were that the powers that be at Durham were not impressed with Hickey's attitude and he had blotted his copybook over a period of time. One bust up supposedly had something to do with his captaincy of the second team.

He's either very brave or daft if he didn't confirm under Killeen's watch.
westoelad

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 pm

captaincolly wrote:I think New Zealand have a light schedule next year so if he comes back Latham probably will be here from the start or near enough to it.

well lets hope he can adapt to early season conditions better than Mr Cook
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby captaincolly » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:I think New Zealand have a light schedule next year so if he comes back Latham probably will be here from the start or near enough to it.

well lets hope he can adapt to early season conditions better than Mr Cook

This'll probably jinx him but I think he will be OK because he is used to county cricket whereas Cook hadn't played over here before. Trouble with Cook was that on the times he did get in he couldn't make a major score - did pretty well in the one dayers though.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:55 pm

Posted on the RTG site by a Surrey supporter
"Both games against Hants this season we've had our group singing we should be playing Durham, and when we went to the Rose Bowl a few lads bought Durham polos/flags off eBay and turned up with them.

I think they've actually replaced us as the most hated County in cricket :lol:"
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 pm

westoelad wrote:Posted on the RTG site by a Surrey supporter
"Both games against Hants this season we've had our group singing we should be playing Durham, and when we went to the Rose Bowl a few lads bought Durham polos/flags off eBay and turned up with them.

I think they've actually replaced us as the most hated County in cricket :lol:"

:lol:
captaincolly

Postby wearside willow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:24 pm

For whats its worth this is my views on recent events regarding the first team squad.
The club are spot on in sticking to their original contract offer to Onions, if he gets a better offer elsewhere or leaves because he is upset with Durhams offer then fair enough and good luck to him. If he stays which is unlikely then champion.
With regards to Jennings its similar to Rocky and Badger if he thinks he is better off at another county whether it be for money or England prospects then he should go. The club agreed to the get out clause so they knew it was a possibility.
Coughlin injury problems aside is a very handy county cricketer and the type of 3 dimensional all rounder all counties love to have. No doubt Notts will be paying him well and can probably afford the risk but Iam happy it is a risk Durham have ended up not making.
The 3 lads who have signed new contracts Burnham is a no brainer although he has had a slow summer. Poynter probably got one as he is probably cheaper than signing another reserve wicket keeper and his one day batting is ok. Pringle is a lucky lad, probably down to the decision to release Hickey and there is nobody else with his expierience.But I still see no real improvement in his batting or bowling since he broke into the side. Although I would imagine he is excellent around the dressing room.
Releasing Arshad is fair enough a number of younger players have moved ahead of him and I think he would only have been retained as a cheap option tho bolster the squad numbers.
Hickey is very unlucky and I actually think over all it is a very harsh decision by the club. As Captain says there is no doubt that there has been issues with his attitude and discipline, but the simple fact is at the time of his injury he was playing for the first team and had been given a key role in the T20 team ahead of others. It maybe that they believe Trevaskis who is a very similar style of cricketer is a better long term bet, but for me he deserved to be retained.
wearside willow

Postby captaincolly » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:48 pm

wearside willow wrote:For whats its worth this is my views on recent events regarding the first team squad.
The club are spot on in sticking to their original contract offer to Onions, if he gets a better offer elsewhere or leaves because he is upset with Durhams offer then fair enough and good luck to him. If he stays which is unlikely then champion.
With regards to Jennings its similar to Rocky and Badger if he thinks he is better off at another county whether it be for money or England prospects then he should go. The club agreed to the get out clause so they knew it was a possibility.
Coughlin injury problems aside is a very handy county cricketer and the type of 3 dimensional all rounder all counties love to have. No doubt Notts will be paying him well and can probably afford the risk but Iam happy it is a risk Durham have ended up not making.
The 3 lads who have signed new contracts Burnham is a no brainer although he has had a slow summer. Poynter probably got one as he is probably cheaper than signing another reserve wicket keeper and his one day batting is ok. Pringle is a lucky lad, probably down to the decision to release Hickey and there is nobody else with his expierience.But I still see no real improvement in his batting or bowling since he broke into the side. Although I would imagine he is excellent around the dressing room.
Releasing Arshad is fair enough a number of younger players have moved ahead of him and I think he would only have been retained as a cheap option tho bolster the squad numbers.
Hickey is very unlucky and I actually think over all it is a very harsh decision by the club. As Captain says there is no doubt that there has been issues with his attitude and discipline, but the simple fact is at the time of his injury he was playing for the first team and had been given a key role in the T20 team ahead of others. It maybe that they believe Trevaskis who is a very similar style of cricketer is a better long term bet, but for me he deserved to be retained.

I agree with pretty much all of that. Hickey is unfortunate to be let go before having a proper chance to prove his worth and Pringle has not shown any sign of being someone who will either score runs or bowl well on a regular basis.

The only thing in my mind with Onions is if he goes can we use the money freed up to bring in someone close to his calibre? There'd be a risk in giving him the deal he wants but I just have a feeling it might be more of a risk to let him go. There's certainly a big problem though because I got the distinct impression at the members forum a few weeks ago that Lewis was not happy with Onions complaining in the press about not being offered a deal - and since then Bunny has been even more outspoken. I think westoelad's suggestion of a one year rolling type contract is the best solution but Onions seems stuck in his ways - if he doesn't get what he wants I think he might come to regret leaving.

I'm not sure we've learned a lot from this season - Steel has been superb and a huge positive , Clark has been very good and proven me wrong , Potts looks like a real prospect but the dreaded injury to him leads us onto that group of young bowlers who are in the same position now as they were a year ago - plenty of potential but seemingly unable to stay fit for any length of time.

As for the senior players - apart from Colly and Latham none of them have enhanced their reputations. Jennings has been hopeless after the first few weeks, Richo faded away after a good start, Onions looked more like his old self recently but has hardly played before that and Rushy is still a good bowler but the evidence for him being past his best is becoming hard to deny.

Assuming Jennings goes and Latham is back I think we need to bring in another top 3 batter of proven ability and a bowler with the same reputation. Much easier said than done and that's why I agree with westoelad about probably having to look at the Kolpak market for at least one player.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:11 am

Durhamfootman wrote:

not for me

Obviously it's not good for the game to litter your team with run of the mill Kolpaks like Derby and Leics do and still be crap but I still think there's room for the occasional kolpak in isolation as long as he is quality. Simon Harmer's presence at Essex, for example, gives young players an opportunity to develop their game against top quality spin which they wouldn't get otherwise.
Likewise Durham have to be without 2 quality seam options because of England calls. If they have to go down the Kolpak route to find replacements so be it
westoelad

Postby westoelad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:37 am

Yes capt, 3 fine discoveries this season in Potts , C. Steel and Clark but should we not also add McCarthy?. Looking really good before he got called up for Ireland- 24 wkts in 5 games at 27 with a batting average of 32. I wonder also if Steel's emergence as a potential spinner contributed to the decision to release Hickey.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:05 pm

westoelad wrote:Yes capt, 3 fine discoveries this season in Potts , C. Steel and Clark but should we not also add McCarthy?. Looking really good before he got called up for Ireland- 24 wkts in 5 games at 27 with a batting average of 32. I wonder also if Steel's emergence as a potential spinner contributed to the decision to release Hickey.

I'd forgotten about McCarthy , agree that he's another big plus. I think you might be right about Steel, his spin bowling option can't have helped Hickey's case.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Tweet from the club that Latham is set to agree terms for next season and the deal should be done in the next few days. Lewis quoted saying he'll be here for the entire season.
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket