Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Who's Sorry Now: Down by the Riverside

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 pm

I like McCarthy. I think he's done pretty well when he's played. Expensive at times, but always seems to be a wicket taking bowler. I suppose the trouble with him is that we are not fully in control of when he can play, so we have to have other bowling options ahead of him.

I might be the only person here who thinks that Pringle's batting has improved this year. Perhaps he hasn't done it regularly enough, but I seem to remember him pulling us out of the sh1t a couple of times with bat in hand. His T20 bowling was acceptable, if not brilliant, but I think we have far more T20 bowling concerns than Pringle. Do I fancy him as our sole spinner/all rounder in the CC? Not really, but then I didn't rate Graham Clark any higher than MacLeod last year and he has made big strides forward. Perhaps Pringle will too. Now that he has his contract extension I suppose we will find out.

I'm disappointed with Richo's progress. I remember him batting really well with Benks at Headingley to drag us back into the game, but that was a long time ago..... a very long time ago, now.... and if he has progressed, then it isn't by very much. In some ways he's been a bit fortunate that his time with us coincided with the decline of Mustard. That we've had to resort to giving him the gloves back, tells me a lot about Richo's batting form this year.... perhaps even the last couple of years. There was a time when I hoped he'd make a decent no. 4 or 5, but now I certainly don't think he can be relied upon to play as a batsman only, or bat higher up the order than 7.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:14 pm

captaincolly wrote:Tweet from the club that Latham is set to agree terms for next season and the deal should be done in the next few days. Lewis quoted saying he'll be here for the entire season.

fair enough
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:14 pm

I also agreed with much of wearside willow's earlier post
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby captaincolly » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Tweet from the club that Latham is set to agree terms for next season and the deal should be done in the next few days. Lewis quoted saying he'll be here for the entire season.

fair enough

I'd have thought they'd have waited until the deal was officially done before announcing it - must be a formality ... Or they are jumping the gun!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:I like McCarthy. I think he's done pretty well when he's played. Expensive at times, but always seems to be a wicket taking bowler. I suppose the trouble with him is that we are not fully in control of when he can play, so we have to have other bowling options ahead of him.

I might be the only person here who thinks that Pringle's batting has improved this year. Perhaps he hasn't done it regularly enough, but I seem to remember him pulling us out of the sh1t a couple of times with bat in hand. His T20 bowling was acceptable, if not brilliant, but I think we have far more T20 bowling concerns than Pringle. Do I fancy him as our sole spinner/all rounder in the CC? Not really, but then I didn't rate Graham Clark any higher than MacLeod last year and he has made big strides forward. Perhaps Pringle will too. Now that he has his contract extension I suppose we will find out.

I'm disappointed with Richo's progress. I remember him batting really well with Benks at Headingley to drag us back into the game, but that was a long time ago..... a very long time ago, now.... and if he has progressed, then it isn't by very much. In some ways he's been a bit fortunate that his time with us coincided with the decline of Mustard. That we've had to resort to giving him the gloves back, tells me a lot about Richo's batting form this year.... perhaps even the last couple of years. There was a time when I hoped he'd make a decent no. 4 or 5, but now I certainly don't think he can be relied upon to play as a batsman only, or bat higher up the order than 7.

I agree, that wicketkeeping spot is a big problem- Richardson should balance the side but must score more runs. Trouble is that if Poynter gets back in then we'll be back to being either a batsman or bowler short. It's a reason I was bit surprised he was given a new deal - can't see him ever being the solution.
captaincolly

Postby wearside willow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:57 pm

I was just thinking about Durhams wicket keepers and I don't think the Academy have had one graduate to the pro ranks since Mustard and he would have joined the pro staff about 2002. Strange really when you think how many players have come through that brilliant set up.
wearside willow

Postby westoelad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:15 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:I like McCarthy. I think he's done pretty well when he's played. Expensive at times, but always seems to be a wicket taking bowler. I suppose the trouble with him is that we are not fully in control of when he can play, so we have to have other bowling options ahead of him.

I agree, that wicketkeeping spot is a big problem- Richardson should balance the side but must score more runs. Trouble is that if Poynter gets back in then we'll be back to being either a batsman or bowler short. It's a reason I was bit surprised he was given a new deal - can't see him ever being the solution.

We're a batsman short at present given Richardson's recent form. Poytner scored 159* for the 2nd this week. Hope springs eternal :hide
westoelad

Postby westoelad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:21 pm

wearside willow wrote:I was just thinking about Durhams wicket keepers and I don't think the Academy have had one graduate to the pro ranks since Mustard and he would have joined the pro staff about 2002. Strange really when you think how many players have come through that brilliant set up.

Good point. When Andrew Pratt left we signed Gary Park from Cambridge UCCE,then Michael Richardson, and finally Poytner so no w/k through the ranks.Potter's new contract suggests there's also no one else on the horizon
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

We're a batsman short at present given Richardson's recent form. Poytner scored 159* for the 2nd this week. Hope springs eternal :hide

Let's hope his batting continues to develop over the winter. I suppose Latham could do the job in the one day matches but then again Poynter looks to be a handy one day batter.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:28 pm

captaincolly wrote:Confirmation that Hickey has gone and what someone told me earlier in the season was true - had he featured in one more game his contract would have been upgraded to a professional one for the rest of the season but Emmerson says even if that had happened he'd probably have been released.
Latham is going home now to prepare for the Kiwi series against India but is expected back next year.
Marty also said 2 more contracts will be announced soon - if Colly is one who could the other one be? Perhaps it is Clark and I was wrong to think he'd already signed.

Did I mention that Marty stated in commentary apparently that Will Gidman was returning?
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:55 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Confirmation that Hickey has gone and what someone told me earlier in the season was true - had he featured in one more game his contract would have been upgraded to a professional one for the rest of the season but Emmerson says even if that had happened he'd probably have been released.
Latham is going home now to prepare for the Kiwi series against India but is expected back next year.
Marty also said 2 more contracts will be announced soon - if Colly is one who could the other one be? Perhaps it is Clark and I was wrong to think he'd already signed.

Did I mention that Marty stated in commentary apparently that Will Gidman was returning?

That could well be the otter deal. Personally I wouldn't be keen on him but as so often it depends on what other options there are. My judgement is usually hopeless too so if he comes he'll probably be a great success!
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 am

Extended video of Look North feature. Supporters are quite bitter toward FTECB but need to move on! Cheers Graham.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41338668
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:52 am

westoelad wrote:Extended video of Look North feature. Supporters are quite bitter toward FTECB but need to move on! Cheers Graham.

Yes! Not very cheery stuff. :lol:
One of those seasons I think most people will be glad to see the back of.
captaincolly

Postby westoelad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 am

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Extended video of Look North feature. Supporters are quite bitter toward FTECB but need to move on! Cheers Graham.

BBC Sport also report the 3 re-signings are only for 1 year. Probably a lack of believe on both sides.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 am

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

BBC Sport also report the 3 re-signings are only for 1 year. Probably a lack of believe on both sides.

Sounds like it. It's probably a wise decision - although it'd be typical if at least one of them had a brilliant season next year and then joined Notts or Sorry!
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket